Mercury 9.9 options

Recently my Evinrude 8hp 1997 conked out on me and I spent about $550 in water pump, carb job and temp sensor. Still won't run longer than 20 seconds before it overheats and shuts down. So instead of pouring more $ into this, I was checking out Merc's 9.9 line. At first, was thinking about waiting until next year since fishing season is almost finished for me and maybe seeing if there's a deal to be had at the boat show. Then I thought that using my Main for long trolling days in the next few months would be hard on it. So I was checking my options.

I'm interested in the merc 9.9 and am a little confused over which options to go with Maybe someone here could let me know if its an important difference getting the command thrust option? Also, any opinions on the electric start? I was hoping to not have to spend $ on costly installs of it. Also, would like it to be easy to take off when I put it away in winter..

And advice is great advice.. TIA

How big is your boat? Do you need the extra thrust of a Prokicker? Do you need it to charge your battery(ies)? If it comes with electric start, it will for sure. Maybe all the new ones do. I have a 2005 Merc 15 on my small boat with no charger but it pull starts so easy.

How big is your boat? Do you need the extra thrust of a Prokicker? Do you need it to charge your battery(ies)? If it comes with electric start, it will for sure. Maybe all the new ones do. I have a 2005 Merc 15 on my small boat with no charger but it pull starts so easy.
I got a Trophy 2052. Would like an electric but is it easily portable? And do I have to drill a hole to run the electrics? Otherwise, electric isn't that important..

Electric is nice and will keep your battery topped up thru the day.

One access hole can be largely covered over by a boot cover. Also keep Nissan and Tohatsu in mind as they are virtually the exact same motor and sometimes cost less.

Electric is nice and will keep your battery topped up thru the day.

One access hole can be largely covered over by a boot cover. Also keep Nissan and Tohatsu in mind as they are virtually the exact same motor and sometimes cost less.

yeah, elec would be nice but costly, around $3K. I guess I'd need to get a mech to do the hole thing and maybe get it started up. Prob a couple hours there. Good advise, I'll check out the Nissan. Haven't heard much about Tohatsu or know of any service depots for it..

yeah, elec would be nice but costly, around $3K. I guess I'd need to get a mech to do the hole thing and maybe get it started up. Prob a couple hours there. Good advise, I'll check out the Nissan. Haven't heard much about Tohatsu or know of any service depots for it..

Making a hole is very simple with a drill and hole saw. Will take you minutes. Make sure you have a boot kit before you start. The whole matter is not difficult to do.

Ok, I think I'll go with the electric start and will do the hole thing myself. I should be able to transfer the easy-steer bracket myself also. Any thoughts on the power trim option. Think its getting expensive with it but sounds like a nice option.

I have bought many used outboards over the years. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used kicker that was a few years old. If you can wait a month there will be lots more deals starting. It's prime time still right now.

If you can find one with power tilt you won't regret it. Yes they are light however so easy to tilt up and down from your drivers seat.

I had a 19' Trophy with a regular Nissan 9.8 and it was plenty without high thrust. My current 22' Campion has a Yamaha 8 HT and it works fine. So you likely have options too.

Ok, I think I'll go with the electric start and will do the hole thing myself. I should be able to transfer the easy-steer bracket myself also. Any thoughts on the power trim option. Think its getting expensive with it but sounds like a nice option.

i love the power trim with the prokicker,

Have the 9.9 ProKicker with remote throttle tilt and electric start. Absolutely love it. Starts easy and sips fuel. Had an issue with salt water getting in the carb trolling in big seas. Found water getting sucked up the carb vent. Quick reroute of the vent hose fixed that. Mine bolted and safety locked to the boat.

Have the 9.9 ProKicker with remote throttle tilt and electric start. Absolutely love it. Starts easy and sips fuel. Had an issue with salt water getting in the carb trolling in big seas. Found water getting sucked up the carb vent. Quick reroute of the vent hose fixed that. Mine bolted and safety locked to the boat.

I like the idea of an electric start. One time I was yanking the kicker wouldn't start up right away. I pulled so hard the cord hung out and wouldn't spring back into place.. Drove around like that for the rest of the night. lol

I have bought many used outboards over the years. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used kicker that was a few years old. If you can wait a month there will be lots more deals starting. It's prime time still right now.

If you can find one with power tilt you won't regret it. Yes they are light however so easy to tilt up and down from your drivers seat.

I had a 19' Trophy with a regular Nissan 9.8 and it was plenty without high thrust. My current 22' Campion has a Yamaha 8 HT and it works fine. So you likely have options too.
According to the dealers I spoke to, there won't be any deals until the boat show. And even then, a price discount is unlikely. Manufactures may offer a longer warranty or something like that instead of a discount. That's what I been hearing.

What do you use to safety lock it?

I think the whole purchasing thing depends upon your budget.
If you can afford the electric start and trim, then why not get it?
If it is out of your price range, then eliminate things that will put you on target to meet your budget.
When the time comes for me to purchase a new kicker I will find one with all the bells and whistles.

I bought a brand new tohatsu 9.8 in January with electric start/remote. I didn't get the tilt for 2 reasons. Extra weight, and another 500-600$. Don't care about the tilt as that's what my fishing partners are for. The tohatsu was considerably cheaper with better out of the box warranty. Almost 100 hr on it already and I couldn't be happier with my purchase.

There is or was a new 2014 15 hp pro kicker 0 hrs with power trim and elec start ,
Full warranty and a 25" leg, 3295$ its with Parker marine . Hope this helps.

I put a trolling motor plug and receptacle on my transom right above the shore power. It allows me to unplug the power and gas and remove the kicker for theft/winter in roughly 2 mins. I find it better than undoing all the hardwiring and taping the ends. Also there is to open hole.

Back