Fluoro vs Mono Leaders - is Fluoro more susceptible to abrasion?

carpeweekend

Crew Member
I usually fish anchovies for Springs on the south coast in the summer. Accordingly, I refreshed all of my teaser head anchovy rigs the past week and decided to use fluorocarbon leaders rather than mono. More feel and less visible were what I had heard as the advantages.

I bought some Pline CFX 30lb fluoro and tied up several chovy rigs. I have fished them on several occasions over the last week and had the following happen. Caught 1 small Spring where the leader broke just above the top hook after the fish was netted and in the boat. Had a second leader break from trolling (although it was wrapped briefly around the rigger wire a bit earlier). Played another strong fish yesterday for about 10 minutes (I suspect that it was a Spring in the high teens to low 20's by the way it was fighting and taking line) and again had the leader break just above the top hook before I got it to the boat.

Is fluoro more susceptible to breakage from minor abrasion whether it be rigger wire or the teeth of a fish? I tested one of my leaders by putting the tail hook into a vise and pulling into breakage. The tail hook actually broke and the line held so actual line strength and my knots don't seem to be the issue. I don't recall ever having similar issues with mono leaders.

Thoughts or insights?

The only issue that I've had is the knot breaking if you don't either use a fluorocarbon friendly knot or use enough lubrication when pulling the knot tight. As for abrasion, the stuff is tough as hell at least in my experience. I've fought 25lb springs with the line running horizontally through their mouth for half the fight (while jigging) and it was beat up but also held up. What knot were you using? I personally think that 30lb for teaser rigs is on the light side but that's a personal preference.

WW

Not sure what the issue is.

Flouro is a bit better than mono for abrasion, a bit worse for stretch. Mono has more spring, and tends to retain that spring over a longer period of time, flouro can get 'stretched out'. Knot strength is better on mono, it's a major problem with flouro if you don't get that line wetter than an otter's pocket before you cinch it down.

Is that top hook that's breaking on you a treble? Maybe the way you wraps stacked up on the treble and caused it to break under strain? The shanks on some trebles are asymmetric - I could see that breaking the knot when a big hit comes on.

Not sure what the issue is.

Flouro is a bit better than mono for abrasion, a bit worse for stretch. Mono has more spring, and tends to retain that spring over a longer period of time, flouro can get 'stretched out'. Knot strength is better on mono, it's a major problem with flouro if you don't get that line wetter than an otter's pocket before you cinch it down.

Is that top hook that's breaking on you a treble? Maybe the way you wraps stacked up on the treble and caused it to break under strain? The shanks on some trebles are asymmetric - I could see that breaking the knot when a big hit comes on.

Yes, the top hook is a treble and the shank is asymmetrical. I am going to retie them using a double snell. I don't think that my knots (improved clinch knots) are the issue as it is not breaking at the knot but just above the treble. Thanks.

The only issue that I've had is the knot breaking if you don't either use a fluorocarbon friendly knot or use enough lubrication when pulling the knot tight. As for abrasion, the stuff is tough as hell at least in my experience. I've fought 25lb springs with the line running horizontally through their mouth for half the fight (while jigging) and it was beat up but also held up. What knot were you using? I personally think that 30lb for teaser rigs is on the light side but that's a personal preference.

WW
I'd agree that 30 is light for teasers. Haven't had a problem since I upped to 40.

I'd use a top quality flouro too, like Ande or some other NA made product. I'm not a fan of Pline's quality, and I wouldn't be surprised if the quality of their product is the issue

I use Fluro and have the last five years. The stuff is bullet proof in my opinion. I use 40 lb though on my leaders. I use the same leader for months at a time even after multiple fish being caught on them and never had one break. I have had several 40 lb mono breaks in the past. Fluro solved the issue.

I use 40 lb or 50 lb yellow label seaguar. Really good leader material. I used to occasionally lose big chinooks sawing through the mono leaders. Not anymore

Thanks for everyone's insights. Good excuse for another trip to the tackle store to buy a different brand of higher test fluoro.

Buy the sts seaguar been using last 2 years and no issues. I used to use blue label which costs more then double but am now only using sts with the same results as blue label.

I use seaguar for most of my rigs, 30 or 40#.
I also occasionally use my 40# pro-spec mono or generic 30# mono and I notice a huge difference in durability. I can catch many 15+ lb fish on a single 40# seaguar before it shows damage, and I'm always very careful to check them, although I don't use it for anchovy Rigs, I treat them as more disposable, and just use mono.
I've considered trying seaguar for anchovies but I just have a feeling it will show bite marks sooner on the stinger, and might not be worth the expense if you go through a ton of them

Back