2017 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Does anyone know if friendly cove band still rents out there cabins or camp sites I've sent them a couple emails but no response.

Same with Tuta marina I left them a message and no response.

Cougar creek is an option but it's first come first serve. I would like to secure a couple spots before we head up there.

Is there any other options to camp in the area I would need an dock preferably.

Thx scott
Ive never stayed there but it looks ok.Seaside RV & Campground in Tahsis

just got in from a Sat - Tues tour. As other have mentioned it was terrifyingly slow. i tried all the usual inside spots with a few guesses between, and all the outside spots Burdwood to Beano Creek. we were rewarded with two small springs about 12lb.
The other boat in our group did a bit better boating five springs including a tyee caught at Coopte at 5 am.
The setup that we found worked the best was a green gold betsy flasher and a coho killer spoon in irish creme. skinny g also produced a couple. i also lost a decent fish right at the surface using a green white glow needle fish.
Tahsis inlet was by far the best spot for us, leading me to believe the fish entering Nootka sound are coming in thru Esperanza inlet and down. The amount of time i spent rubbing the rocks between Wash Rock and Dollies Beach with no results also lends to that theory.
We managed to get off shore tuesday and picked up 6 lings, one hali, one snapper and some other larger cod so in terms of fish, this kinda saved the trip.
Lots of laughs and we ate and drank like kings so it wasn't all bad.

I should also add, before a certain Tofino based guide chimes in with," Go where the fish are, not where you want them to be.." the guys on the highway and the reef weren't exactly killin it either. better than the guys on the beach however.

Ahem you must be mistaken buddy at Nootka Lodge says limits for all the guests lots of tyees:eek::p:rolleyes:

Just back in from today's run. Went almost everywhere. Fished Burdwood, Beano, Bajo, past Bajo at the red can. Managed 1 decent rock fish out at the can. Moved into Tahsis Inlet. Pulled in a nice 25# spring. Fish are scarce. TF

Does anyone know if friendly cove band still rents out there cabins or camp sites I've sent them a couple emails but no response.

Cougar creek is an option but it's first come first serve. I would like to secure a couple spots before we head up there.

Thx scott
We stayed there last year for a week and were the only ones there. It is primitive but terrific beach view and a swim each day at the lake was great. Keep trying the phone number.

Ahem you must be mistaken buddy at Nootka Lodge says limits for all the guests lots of tyees:eek::p:rolleyes:

I'm the only one mistaken i guess.;)
not sure what part of my post you are referring to. i'm referring to the chatter for three straight days on the radio from 5 am till 9 pm; all the guys i was personally chatting with at CC when i was filling up; the guys i chatted with when i put my boat in, and when i pulled my boat out. not to mention all the guys posting less than favourable reports on this forum.
Anyways, based on the colour of two of the fish our partner boat caught ( the tyee and the 20) they were the typical gold backed, greyish bellied spawners. i think perhaps the Conuma run is just starting to build. here's hoping!

Last edited:
I'm the only one mistaken i guess.;)
not sure what part of my post you are referring to. i'm referring to the chatter for three straight days on the radio from 5 am till 9 pm; all the guys i was personally chatting with at CC when i was filling up; the guys i chatted with when i put my boat in, and when i pulled my boat out. not to mention all the guys posting less than favourable reports on this forum.
Anyways, based on the colour of two of the fish our partner boat caught ( the tyee and the 20) they were the typical gold backed, greyish bellied spawners. i think perhaps the Conuma run is just starting to build. here's hoping!

You are certainly right about the colour RB-all 5 of our fish had the colour-as the days go by I become more and more pessimistic -another day and this will be the latest on record for fish returning. I spent a good hour last evening trying to winnow out the true picture around Nootka and came to no real conclusive conclusions. Heading to WH in a few days and we will know by then. We have had bad years before-2008 was such a year and last year wasn't stellar. As I've said before-treasure the experience and pray that there are fish up north to come!!

Finally able to post, got busy after we got home. A week late but figure I should share. Appreciate the great posts from the usual suspects...SF, CF...didn't see you but I'm sure you were around.

Spent three lovely nights at critter with my wife. While she's been to Nootka prior, critter cove was new and she liked it.

Sooo the fishing...gotta say much better than a year ago at this time. Easy limits of chinook daily and a couple of size. Double header of 20+ pound fish was the highlight and awesome. One straighted the hooks on a chovie rig and fled like a meth addict stealing a hot dog, while we landed the other... 24lbs or so. Just prior to the those big boys we dragged bottom at monument and hooked a 23 hali. Happy happy. Last day (the 6th) we hit a run of coho...sadly misinterpreted the regs, let a bunch of nice ones go...insert mean comments here... reread the reg maps someone graciously attached to this thread and got a few more to keep. Phew.

Not one fish caught on the outside, because as my wife put it....we ain't f$&@ going out there. Which led to a lengthy positive discussion about a bigger boat. Time will tell.

So monument copte camel and burwood worked for us. Right time, right place and sharp hooks....spoons (4"silver with any colour) out did the chovie, first time...ever. Green flashers. Big glow white hootch got the Hali.

Will be out in mid August for round 2.

Happy safe adventures. Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_0283.JPG
    IMG_0283.JPG
    594 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_0284.JPG
    IMG_0284.JPG
    554.8 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_0262.JPG
    IMG_0262.JPG
    300.7 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_0284.JPG
    IMG_0284.JPG
    554.8 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_0283.JPG
    IMG_0283.JPG
    594 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_0262.JPG
    IMG_0262.JPG
    300.7 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
Nice report. I always enjoyed Critter but havent been for several years. Cameron and Katherin still own/run it I assume.

Ferrer will be closed as of july 15th.....hit 6 mile reef or the pinnacles for hali...either trolling bottom or bottom bouncing...
I would suggest if ferrer is closed you fish pin rock or Black rock.
Rosa is always a good calm spot that spits out some decent fish.

IMG_7060.PNG IMG_7061.PNG IMG_7079.JPG Sorry for the delay as I just finished 4 days at Critter with my group and don't have wifi. I'm back at Nootka Lodge for a few days and can post some stuff.

Our first day Tuesday we spent bottom fishing and did well. Wednesday I decided things were slow around Nootka do we headed North. It's a 50 mile run from Critter to the Tee so we enjoyed a couple coffees thru the Narrows. We stated trolling with my side with a 20# ball at 200' and 150' on the other side with a 15# ball. It only took 5 minutes and we had our first Spring in the box.

I could see the bait down between 200 & 250 feet so down I went to 250' and bang bang. It was non stop until my guests arms got sore from wheeling the fish in.

We moved to the Whales Tail and fished 150' and 200' and found the bait and caught and released a few more salmon. There was only one other boat fishing salmon and a couple anchored for Haly.

I said let's head into Ferrer to end the day. We got the gear in the water at 1500hrs and there was only 4 boat fishing so it made the tac around Magic Rock easy. We stated nailing the fish every time the lines hit the water at 35' & 40' deep. It was a epic day and glad we went as things have been slow around Nootka as you could tell by the posts.

I'm back for a few days at Nootka Lodge and going to hit Beano in the am so will try and post down the road.

Hey guys, quick question is there any other place to fill up gas besides moutcha bay?

Also Esperanza fuel bar and tahsis... a bit farther away.

Just back from our week in Nootka. Fished yesterday morning first light at Beano and picked up a couple nice mid teen springs on anchovies at 40'. Went dead after that. Pulled up and left for home. Uncle stayed and got a pair around 11am 10ft out from the kelp in the same spot we got ours. Had a great week but sure had to work for every salmon. TF

just got back from Nootka today. went out wednesday, threw traps out and headed to Bajo and started the trip with 3 nice springs on the afternoon slack tide, also got 2 nice lings. water was very nice outside, a few fish around but had to fish close to the kelp to get them. Anchovies with army truck heads behind purple or green flashers worked the best. went in and got 4 keeper crabs after a short set. fished the night bite around camel rock and picked up one more spring again on an anchovy. went back out to Bajo thursday morning, found salmon fishing slow but picked up 1 more spring, lost 2 near the boat. Got a few more lings and tried for some halis for a while with no luck. fished burdwood on the way in and got another spring after pulling a boat off the beach that was calling in a mayday. came in to pull prawn traps and got around 200, got more crabs and tried the night bite again but we didnt boat anymore springs although we lost 2 at the wall. Friday we went back outside, hit some lings, fished the tide change and picked up another spring mid 20s. Went and finished our limit on lings and then limited out on yelloweye and we tried for halis unsuccessfully again. Went in and again lost 2 on the nite bite inside by the wall. prawns and crabs for dinner again. This morning (sat) it was raining and we fished around camel, 3 bay and the wall and we put 3 nice springs in the boat and lost a couple more. i think a few runs are in because some fish were darker and some were very bright and colorful like the fish from bajo. again fishing anchovies hugging the rocks and fishing 35-45ft on the inside. overall a trip with 4 guys for 4 days we ended up with 10 springs, 15 lings, 4 snapper and 4 rock rish. We lost a lot of fish so considering the fishing is so slow it was an awesome trip. be back out in 2 weeks for another turn.

Thx scott
tuta marina had problem with their lap top but are back in service now and they check their email daily

Good day to all I been fishing for the past 3 week and coming back Tuesday for another 3 weeks and I have been doing very well fishing for salmon but I am fishing always outside because I know there is not many fish inside yet.
I have been getting my limit of salmon and even release some small one everyday I go out there so my word of advice to you guys is start thinking out of the box like spring fever said don't go were you use to fish before (I hear this everyday on the VHF ho you remember were I got my big fish 5 year ago well I am going back there now) I have been fishing nootka for about 7 years now and spend about 6 week there every year I keep quiet most of the time but I feel I have to speak my mind here rule #1 I do not chase caught fish if one person got a 1 or 2 fish in the boat I don't move from were I am done it in the past and by the time you get there the bit is off and came on were you left off. So instead of keep on moving around spend time were you are and scout around. I watch people going by me and they watch my customer playing a double header they go by and catch a fish play it and than leave the area. rule #2 when I catch a fish I check the depth right away before I even land the fish since on some fish you can move around a lots and some area it the depth change very fast. Than after boating the fish I got back to the same depth and follow the contour and go up and down a way and also check for bait fish if you see bait on that ledge stay there you will get the fish if you don't see bait than change depth follow next ledge where feed is. don't be shy of fishing were the bait is could be 90 ft. or could be 200ft. I do not use bait on the outside only hoochies and spoon so this way I can go a bit faster trolling than you will cover more area. also when scouting check GPS and structure under neat you like hill stuff that would hold around bait and fish at certain depth line. if so spend more time there and go around it fish could be anywhere also paid attention to tide current back side of the tide is usually better but not all the time I been fool by them before. And if you really did not get fish in that area but you know you did check it out fully. than next day do the same thing in a different area. You all hear stick it out and make it paid. I promise you guy you spend the time to search around with strategy in mind and really check around what you have around under neat your boat you will succeed and 99.5% of the time when you find the fish you will find them again the next day or they will not be very far (check ledge up or down) from were you got the fish the day before. I found myself fishing 99 % of the time by myself in area eg: people fish Bajo reef and most stay by the red can and don't move around much well I can see you guy from were I am fishing and can see that not many net are moving around well check outside you guy and if you see net moving around on the outside well it may be worth to go check it out or at least keep a eye on that boat and see if the net is moving around some more while you are doing nothing were you are. At time we all got to back to basic and start scouting guys there is many fish out there. To be honest I took my name of my boat because people were following me everywhere I when and lost many fish on people gear going to close to me while my customer were playing fish. I am on VHF 06 out there and scan many channel also so I hear all you guy out there. If you want a personal chat with me just call me and we can meet later after fishing.
hope it help you guy and bring your spirit up for future fishing trip. I know I enjoy fishing so much that I cannot sleep the night before going fishing even if I go everyday since my mind tell me well maybe I should of try one more thing out that could work even better smile. hard to shut down a fisherman brain out smile

have a good one and good luck guys

savy

Back