These Guys Were Tougher Than Most.........Methinks....

Dave H

Actually testing a new image hosting set-up as Photobucket have changed their policy so you can't link from there to another site.
If you pay them you can but they seem to be much more mercenary now.

Still, the guys in this pic must have been in pretty darn good shape to fall trees this big all by axe and hand-powered saw.

BigUndercut.jpg

Take care.

Hard as nails them old boys, no doubt about it. My father started logging with cross cut and horses, him and my uncles ran mills back in the 50's - 70's. They were all made like pillars those men, hands on them like sledge hammers and arms like moose legs. My father was unreal strong until cancer took him way too young at 73 but they were all a different breed. And we owe them a lot in this country, they came and broke the land and made this country what it is,, well, what it waS supposed to be anyways. Seems we are giving it away to whom ever feels like taking it, but that's a different topic.

Nice pic Dave, love it. What server are you using for this

Walleyes,

I posted that pic after downloading it to SurferMag.com where I've been a member for 15 years or so.

I used to use it before to post pics both there and elsewhere but joined Photobucket some years back and did all my pic posting from there until I received an E-mail recently essentially attempting to force me to pay in order to post pics from there to another site.

So, I went back and tested my old SurferMag linking abilities.

Hope that answers your question if that's what you were asking.

Anyway, those guys certainly were tough but most of them weren't the big burly muscle-bound guys we often think of, but rather wiry often smaller guys with lots of stamina.

Big muscled guys wear out faster than wiry smaller guys in the big picture, an opinion I received from an old retired faller at Sandspit in the Charlottes when I lived there in the late '80's.

Told me his biggest tree was 67 ft. in circumference and took all day to fall. Was proud he never left a tree overnight as some guys did too.

He was a smaller but wiry guy for sure so no doubt prejudiced. LOL

Take care.

over 21 feet in diameter! amazing

We call those Ewok Forrest trees – a star wars reference. If you spend a little time walking the lowland coastal woods of Vancouver Island and coastal BC you can still run across the stumps that were cut by hand with notches for the springboards, some over a hundred years ago and hauled out with steam engines. Almost noon of those trees remain, only a tiny few really and even the 2nd growth that grew up around those stumps has mostly been cut, perhaps more than once. It would be kind of nice if we could leave a small amount of that older second growth to turn back into Ewok forests, but that would take 600 years and the 2nd growth and the land for development is just too valuable.

Springboard notched stumps can also still be seen in the lower mainland in many areas. Those oldtimers were a very tough breed.

Springboard notched stumps can also still be seen in the lower mainland in many areas. Those oldtimers were a very tough breed.
Everywhere on the island to but only in the cedars. Any other species of stump rotted away long ago.

Back