2017 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

15 dollars launch and 15 dollars a night protected and $10 for the road or 150 for a year pass-not sure on the year pass whether the parking is protected or not but am sure of everything else.

Thanks Spring Fever.

Saw a pretty hot report elsewhere by Gary Cooper, looked like maybe Bajo. Can anyone confirm?

On Social Media it looked like he hit some good numbers of fish with the Riverquest Charters crew. If the picture was accurate maybe Bajo.

Reactions: abl
On Social Media it looked like he hit some good numbers of fish with the Riverquest Charters crew. If the picture was accurate maybe Bajo.

I would never dispute anybody who had a good turn of luck but don't get your hopes up!! I have been fishing Nootka for over 20 years and indeed wrote the Nootka article for salmon university .com and I have never seen it so sparse for this early in July. There is a reason that great guides like the Codfather are showing large catches of bottom fish--because the amount of effort to catch salmon last week was soul destroying!! Will they come?? who knows but historically they usually round the corner at the monument between the 1st to the 15th of July. I am hearing of a few more fish in Esperanza than off-shore Nootka so perhaps this is another year to hit Strange Island/Canal island up to the Tahsis narrows first!! All I am saying is- have realistic expectations , don't spend all your time in one spot, fish bottom fish as well ,'try well outside the moaning buoy and get creative--whether we like it or not our waters are changing--the fish are too--try deeper than you normally fish. Enjoy the scenery, your friends and the experience and the blessing of being able to get out while you still can. Fishing is not about body count and I think we are all going to have to get used to that going forward!! My 2 cents and Tight lines to you all.

My friend and I are heading up to Newton Cove July 26, for a five-day trip. We are in search of some good Hali areas to fish there and of course, want to limit out on Chinook and whatever else we can. I have heard people talking about the guitar for Hali. Can anyone shoot me the GPS Coordinates of the Guitar? I am new to salt-water fishing. My only trip was to Moucha Bay last year. It wasn't great! We are intending to put in at Gold River and then motor on up into Esperanza inlet and then west to Newton Cove. Any good advice from those who have fished there before would be gratefully received. We also intend on trying out Ferrer Point. Any good ideas
Ferrer will be closed as of july 15th.....hit 6 mile reef or the pinnacles for hali...either trolling bottom or bottom bouncing...

Ferrer will be closed as of july 15th.....hit 6 mile reef or the pinnacles for hali...either trolling bottom or bottom bouncing...

Ferrer MAY not be closed the 15th of July I understand that it might be on a week by week basis--make sure you check as I understand that DFO is looking at DNA sampling there to understand if they are really protecting the fish they thought. Westview seems to be right on top of this-check with them and check with DFO direct. Assume nothing on the Ferrer closure.

Just in from day 2. Day 1 was a bust. Probably because it was too rough to get outside. Got outside day but had to work for our fish. Got lots of Lings and a bunch of rockfish. Managed 3 teener spring through out the day. All were from out past the moaning bouy. Beauty flat day out there today.

Just back after 4 days at Nootka. I think it's all been said. Inside is slow. Fish are sparse. The slowest I've seen it but, hey, maybe they´re late. I made it out to BAJO Saturday. It was as calm as it gets. We hit 3 nice fish within 2 hours having arrived at 0600. Right at the "can". That was the only day we could make it out. It was windy most other days. Great trip as usual.

just got in from a Sat - Tues tour. As other have mentioned it was terrifyingly slow. i tried all the usual inside spots with a few guesses between, and all the outside spots Burdwood to Beano Creek. we were rewarded with two small springs about 12lb.
The other boat in our group did a bit better boating five springs including a tyee caught at Coopte at 5 am.
The setup that we found worked the best was a green gold betsy flasher and a coho killer spoon in irish creme. skinny g also produced a couple. i also lost a decent fish right at the surface using a green white glow needle fish.
Tahsis inlet was by far the best spot for us, leading me to believe the fish entering Nootka sound are coming in thru Esperanza inlet and down. The amount of time i spent rubbing the rocks between Wash Rock and Dollies Beach with no results also lends to that theory.
We managed to get off shore tuesday and picked up 6 lings, one hali, one snapper and some other larger cod so in terms of fish, this kinda saved the trip.
Lots of laughs and we ate and drank like kings so it wasn't all bad.

I should also add, before a certain Tofino based guide chimes in with," Go where the fish are, not where you want them to be.." the guys on the highway and the reef weren't exactly killin it either. better than the guys on the beach however.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if friendly cove band still rents out there cabins or camp sites I've sent them a couple emails but no response.

Same with Tuta marina I left them a message and no response.

Cougar creek is an option but it's first come first serve. I would like to secure a couple spots before we head up there.

Is there any other options to camp in the area I would need an dock preferably.

Thx scott

Does anyone know if friendly cove band still rents out there cabins or camp sites I've sent them a couple emails but no response.

Cougar creek is an option but it's first come first serve. I would like to secure a couple spots before we head up there.

Thx scott
Not sure about Friendly
Moutcha has sites and a dock but a bit pricey .
Tuta rarely calls back , I say just go to tuta if they are full which is unlikely they will still fit ya in somewere

Thx scott
Went ashore last year at Friendly. Cabins were a disaster. Perhaps they have been repaired but some looked as though they had spent the entire winter with the doors open. I have had success emailing Tuta previously.

Back