Bucktails anyone still use?

Lucky Dog

I recently come across a box of roughly 100 bucktails, I'm thinking of sliding a few hoochies over a few to see if that works. I used to really enjoy streaming them when the coho are running. 50 pound test should give them some decent action. I'll be trying a few this weekend if the coho's have finally made it to Sooke/Victoria.

I recently come across a box of roughly 100 bucktails, I'm thinking of sliding a few hoochies over a few to see if that works. I used to really enjoy streaming them when the coho are running. 50 pound test should give them some decent action. I'll be trying a few this weekend if the coho's have finally made it to Sooke/Victoria.
I have put a Grand Slam Bucktail fly on my middle rod that has no weight nor flasher, just let it run on the surface in the prop wash while I'm trolling. I've had some coho's hit the fly as I've come to stop to address some downrigger issue. Lots of fun since you don't have any added resistance from the flasher.

Putting a hootchie over a Bucktail works well for smaller Tuna and would probably work for Springs behind a flasher.

Not sure why you'd want to drag it for Coho though.

I had a yellow bucktail that I stuffed into a yellow hootchie. It didn't work all the time but when it did it would clean house. Springs or Coho didn't matter. 28" leader.

I use bucktails for chinook and coho. Fish them like a hoochie. They are often my most productive lure. I occasionally use a needlefish size hoochie inside the herring size bucktail.

Can't see why anybody who likes to eat fish would slide anything over a bucktail. Either use a Cowican spinner with a very light leader for surface use or a heavy leader behind a flasher for downrigger use.

a sparse Bucktail behind a flasher can be deadly for both run fish and Blackmouth - the Bruce Ferguson book on tying salmon flies is an excellent resource for patterns, etc
The Lambeth Herring pattern is incredible tied w polar bear ( hide must be legal)
finally pulled on the surface is a real hoot
nothing like seeing half a volly ball sized divet appear under your fly as a big Northern Coho inhales it....

Back