2017 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Great. Which service is that one?
Pescador and Tailwalker - Bouyweather.com

You can sign up for a 15 day trial by entering credit card info, but will need to cancel if you do not want to continue and get charged. this is the site that Codfather suggested that he liked.

I

Pescador and Tailwalker - Bouyweather.com

You can sign up for a 15 day trial by entering credit card info, but will need to cancel if you do not want to continue and get charged. this is the site that Codfather suggested that he liked.

I
how is the cell reception in Thasis?

IMG_7031.PNG It was a great day offshore today. There was a little morning slop but after about 0900 it laid right down.

Myself and Matt had three guys each on our boats in case anyone starts counting fish per person. Everyone caught lots of fish and had a great time.

Tomorrow looks great with a slight breeze and a 3 foot in 12 second sea to be able to go anywhere you want.

Just to set the record straight as I had a guy give me the stink eye and wave his hands in the air today. The Bajo Reef is wide open until July 15. The boundary that cuts off anything North of the line from Beano to the Red Can is open. There is still the RCA North of the Can by a couple miles that is closed year round.

It's another offshore day tomorrow as the seas are calm so tight lines.

Heading over on Monday. Hopefully the seas stay calm. We want to get out to our favourite spot out past Bajo and maybe find a few new spots out there.

Heading up on Wednesday, staying till Sunday @ critter cove, happy to share info with others up there @ the same time. Will be in fishing in the "change 'em up".

In the meantime keep the reports coming fellas! Sounds like lots of fish further up in Kyuquot and Esperanza.

aidan and Mike nootka 2017.png Aidan.png DSC00997.JPG Just back from Nootka-fri to sun Salmon fishing is not Slooow it is painful!! Fri-3 passes san carlos-no bait-Nada-over to Strange and Tahsis inlet -some bait 'felt dead-down to the monument and Wash-Nada!! Talked to several boats--Nada. Had supper-pushed out to Beano -quite a few boats-looked encouraging--marking a few and getting some stacking. My friend from So cal has his 18yr old grandson with him so he has never done a Knucklebuster or a rigger.20 minute tutorial in the boat shop is it. Pretty breezy ,tight to the kelp and away we go. In all honesty even a blind squirrel gets the odd nut and this proved to be the case here. Beautiful mid-twenties Spring-I know there were other boats getting some but I really saw no nets. We managed another 2 but God it was slow-still we knew the lures-AP needlefish, coho killers jughead needlefish and a flashfly---mostly the glow or UV whites or copcar-anchovy-- not so much. We were stoked for Sat morning--first boat there--no bait-SLOOW then lots of boats--no fish-waited for tide change and had a good one on a chovy-saw him--nice fish but Booted by a little over eagerness! Hooked up again after 1/2 hour and landed the smallest of the trip 12 lbs. Pedal to the metal out to the moaning buoy-talked to guys-nada for bites even-went out a couple of miles-dead!!! Back to Beano-nothing-tried wash, monument(nobody even trying) called it a very unproductive morning/afternoon. Discussed options-all looked bad really! so out to Beano at 6pm-only one boat which confirms the mornings lack of fish-I worked it hard for 2 hours and finally at 8 pm had a monster hit at 41 feet in the keyhole-The kid handled it like a pro-very good fight and another mid twenties fish but that was it--only hit--no bait-rain--pretty boring evening except for the one hit. This morning was a major bore at Burdwood-we released 2 smalles (not undersized)- no nets-no drama at the ramp. It was a good trip-very nice young man said it was the thrill of a lifetime and I enjoyed that aspect of it but probably the slowest I have ever seen Nootka at this time of year. My sources tell me the fish are now at Rosa Island and all through Esperanza-I'll give it a rest for a week. Bottom fishing has to be rated "good " for any that have an interest! Tight lines

Just got back from three days fishing at Esperanza.

Thursday- fished Ferrer first thing in the morning. Hooked and lost a fish on the first pass and then hooked and landed a 10# fish the second pass. Saw a couple other fish caught for about a dozen boats. No action for the next few hours so went and fished Pin rock. No action there for a couple hours and the weather was great so headed out to 8 mile reef. Pretty dead out there but did manage a nice hatchery coho. Stopped at Rosa on the way in and got another 12# fish on the first pass then nothing.

Friday- Fished Black rock first thing and picked up a fish in the teens then no action for the next couple hours. Headed out to Tachu and fished for a couple hours and no action. Headed back yo 8 mile reef and picked up several lings. Also got a high teen chum that already had huge teeth showing which seemed weird for how early it is. Picked up another teen spring. End of the day ended up hooking a halibut while trolling. It was a decent sized halibut and of course we didn't have a gaff or harpoon on the boat. We were a little concerned about it being close to the upper limit so ended up netting it from the tail first which was not easy. Quick lift into the boat and measurement was 132 cm so bonk bonk.

Saturday- ran to 8 mile reef first thing. Had no action for several hours so headed out to the Pins. Got one fish in the teens and a few smalls. Also a couple pinks. Headed back to 8 mile and picked up another low teen fish. Stopped by Black rock on the way in and made a few passes with no luck. Stopped by Pin rock and managed two more fish in the low teens. Stopped at Rosa for a few passes and no luck.

Overall very spotty fishing. Spring Fever not sure who your sources are but I didn't see another boat fishing Rosa the last three days. Had some others I know fish the last three days at Ferrer and it was slow. Best place that seemed to produce from others has been Pin rock. The Shawzy boats and other charters were bringing in nice fish and limits from the highway into Westview. Most non charters seemed to average 2-3 fish.

By the way the weather and ocean conditions were unreal. Great all days offshore. The darn pyrosomes were in thick though.

Side note we did catch a lot of species of fish: lingcod, vermillion, canary, black sea bass, chum salmon, coho, pink salmon, chinook, halibut, and a bird down 105' on the rigger. That was the most impressive thing was the bird down that deep. How the heck does that happen.

Attachments

• IMG_1210.JPG
    IMG_1210.JPG
    221.5 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_1205.JPG
    IMG_1205.JPG
    304.4 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_1198.JPG
    IMG_1198.JPG
    287 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_1214.JPG
    IMG_1214.JPG
    344.7 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
Just got back from three days fishing at Esperanza.

Thursday- fished Ferrer first thing in the morning. Hooked and lost a fish on the first pass and then hooked and landed a 10# fish the second pass. Saw a couple other fish caught for about a dozen boats. No action for the next few hours so went and fished Pin rock. No action there for a couple hours and the weather was great so headed out to 8 mile reef. Pretty dead out there but did manage a nice hatchery coho. Stopped at Rosa on the way in and got another 12# fish on the first pass then nothing.

Friday- Fished Black rock first thing and picked up a fish in the teens then no action for the next couple hours. Headed out to Tachu and fished for a couple hours and no action. Headed back yo 8 mile reef and picked up several lings. Also got a high teen chum that already had huge teeth showing which seemed weird for how early it is. Picked up another teen spring. End of the day ended up hooking a halibut while trolling. It was a decent sized halibut and of course we didn't have a gaff or harpoon on the boat. We were a little concerned about it being close to the upper limit so ended up netting it from the tail first which was not easy. Quick lift into the boat and measurement was 132 cm so bonk bonk.

Saturday- ran to 8 mile reef first thing. Had no action for several hours so headed out to the Pins. Got one fish in the teens and a few smalls. Also a couple pinks. Headed back to 8 mile and picked up another low teen fish. Stopped by Black rock on the way in and made a few passes with no luck. Stopped by Pin rock and managed two more fish in the low teens. Stopped at Rosa for a few passes and no luck.

Overall very spotty fishing. Spring Fever not sure who your sources are but I didn't see another boat fishing Rosa the last three days. Had some others I know fish the last three days at Ferrer and it was slow. Best place that seemed to produce from others has been Pin rock. The Shawzy boats and other charters were bringing in nice fish and limits from the highway into Westview. Most non charters seemed to average 2-3 fish.

By the way the weather and ocean conditions were unreal. Great all days offshore. The darn pyrosomes were in thick though.

Side note we did catch a lot of species of fish: lingcod, vermillion, canary, black sea bass, chum salmon, coho, pink salmon, chinook, halibut, and a bird down 105' on the rigger. That was the most impressive thing was the bird down that deep. How the heck does that happen.

Guides from Westview said that sunday pm they started hitting fish at Rosa

Heard that up at WH was good a few days ago too. Hopefully that's a fresh bunch of fish moving down. On the ferry now. Hope to be fishing this afternoon in Nootka. Will try to update every evening. There all week.

Yikes...sounds pretty dismal at the moment.

Can anyone advise what is the charge for the launch and the "protected" parking this year? I was assuming more due to the ramp/dock repairs.

Yikes...sounds pretty dismal at the moment.

Can anyone advise what is the charge for the launch and the "protected" parking this year? I was assuming more due to the ramp/dock repairs.

15 dollars launch and 15 dollars a night protected and $10 for the road or 150 for a year pass-not sure on the year pass whether the parking is protected or not but am sure of everything else.

Just got back from three fun days up at Nootka. Spent most of our time at Critter cove. Went with my dad and two little girls. We had a great time with amazing weather.

Arrived late on Wednesday and tried Camel for an hour but no love. Got up early and headed to Beano where we quickly caught a small spring on a pearl glow needlefish hootchie. There were lots of boats and we saw some nets and a few fish. We had never fished there before and by the time we had the boat working right and figured out the area a bit the bite seemed to have tailed off. We decided to go for some bottom fish to keep the kids happy and had a great 4 hours catching cod and mostly smaller halibut until we had our four flat fish. We headed in to find a sheltered spot to anchor and clean up. It was hot and sunny and so we all went swimming! A first for me in Nootka. We didn't fish again that night. Got up early and ran out to Bajo. Bit of a roll but not much wind. No salmon for us, but black cod all over the place including feeding on the surface and taking lures as we set up the riggers. Only a few boats around and didn't see any salmon caught. Went further out to try for halibut again and had a great day catching two 50 lbs fish! Very exciting for all on board! Back to Critter to clean up. Fished that evening at Camel and nothing. Next morning started by Friendly Cove and around the rocks outside. Nothing and no fish seen. Out to Bajo again because it was so calm. Caught a nice 20lbs right away on an anchovy at 37 feet. Threw out a small coho killer cop car while we fixed up the anchovy rig and had another 20 on before we even got down to depth. But after that we spend two hours and not a nibble. Headed back in and tried San Carlos and Camel for evening but nothing. Woke up early for last morning and fished San Carlos and Camel before heading to the ramp and again nothing. Tried anchovy, small plugs, and small hootchies.

We did see a few nice fish at the cleaning stations. Sounded like they would show up somewhere for an hour or two and then it would be slim pickings. However, bottom fishing was great fun.

We would have liked to catch more salmon but we had a great trip and we will hopefully be back next year.

Just got back from three fun days up at Nootka. Spent most of our time at Critter cove. Went with my dad and two little girls. We had a great time with amazing weather.

Arrived late on Wednesday and tried Camel for an hour but no love. Got up early and headed to Beano where we quickly caught a small spring on a pearl glow needlefish hootchie. There were lots of boats and we saw some nets and a few fish. We had never fished there before and by the time we had the boat working right and figured out the area a bit the bite seemed to have tailed off. We decided to go for some bottom fish to keep the kids happy and had a great 4 hours catching cod and mostly smaller halibut until we had our four flat fish. We headed in to find a sheltered spot to anchor and clean up. It was hot and sunny and so we all went swimming! A first for me in Nootka. We didn't fish again that night. Got up early and ran out to Bajo. Bit of a roll but not much wind. No salmon for us, but black cod all over the place including feeding on the surface and taking lures as we set up the riggers. Only a few boats around and didn't see any salmon caught. Went further out to try for halibut again and had a great day catching two 50 lbs fish! Very exciting for all on board! Back to Critter to clean up. Fished that evening at Camel and nothing. Next morning started by Friendly Cove and around the rocks outside. Nothing and no fish seen. Out to Bajo again because it was so calm. Caught a nice 20lbs right away on an anchovy at 37 feet. Threw out a small coho killer cop car while we fixed up the anchovy rig and had another 20 on before we even got down to depth. But after that we spend two hours and not a nibble. Headed back in and tried San Carlos and Camel for evening but nothing. Woke up early for last morning and fished San Carlos and Camel before heading to the ramp and again nothing. Tried anchovy, small plugs, and small hootchies.

We did see a few nice fish at the cleaning stations. Sounded like they would show up somewhere for an hour or two and then it would be slim pickings. However, bottom fishing was great fun.

We would have liked to catch more salmon but we had a great trip and we will hopefully be back next year.
good report, what depth were the Hali caught in?

Back