Slip knot application

RedFish

IMG_0196.JPG Just preparing for my annual fishing trip and was trying to come up with an easy solution for a quick release for the anchor. Horse trainers use a slip knot for quickly releasing horses that are tied up so I thought that would probably work. In the image below I used a wood pin that keeps the knot from accidentally untying. So all you have to do is pull the pin, then pull on the tag end and then let the tag end go. I put a few wraps around the cleat so there is very little pressure on the knot. Since most of the time there is not that much tension on this line the carabiner will be used for disconnecting. If all else fails cut the small rope. Just wonder what others might think of this. Good, bad or otherwise.

I maybe missing something here but why is your ring on the bow to stern line? I have a 75ft line with a carabiner on the end that attaches to my bow to stern line and a ring on the other end. The anchor line is also attached to that ring and then there is a ring that slides on my anchor line that the scotchman in attached to.

I have another split anchor ring and scotchman for anchor retrieval. The ring from the bow to stern line will be stopped by the split ring to scotchman if you were to disconnect from your anchor. That way you can retrieve all your anchor gear later.

Last edited:
Why don't you just buy a pelican hook instead of dealing with that knot or having it accidentally come untied? It doesn't have much pressure on it but it will still have movement.

Or run a piece of solid line Bow to stern... You should always keep at least 1 knife on your person or at the back of the boat... Simple, nothing can fail, and how often do you really have to abandon your anchor in a hurry? Just a 20-30' skate of 3/8th 3 strand should cost you like $40 at most...

Back