halibut and lodges and quota

"Just this past week, our fish processing facility cut and vacuum packed a 130 pound halibut harvested on sport caught quota, along with 3 other fish over 50 pounds!"

Nothing like taking a public resource that belongs to the residents of Canada that should be given equal access among the public and handing it over to those with deep pockets and large bank accounts...
Just another slap in the face to the people that pay their paychecks... The people that they are paid to represent and serve.
Almost sounds like something Christie and her cohorts wish they had thought up...

Last edited:
This is absolutely terrible of what is being said is true. I don't really know the story but this kind of thing really sucks. We all need to stick together.

another thing is without transparency people get the impression that anybody taking a big fish is legal....

so next time anyone is in nootka and they hook up a big one, just kill it , then get on the radio and ask where one can buy quota after they have done the deed?

From what I remember Moutcha's quota is only available on their own boats. You can only use it if you rent one of their boats or are guided on one of their boats. And the fish has to be processed through their facilities.

Just received the newsletter from Rodgers lodge. They are advertising next years (2018) packages, and you can opt for 2 halibut, 4 halibut, or 6 halibut on your 3 night, 4day package. Call for prices. Clearly selling quota.

From what I remember Moutcha's quota is only available on their own boats. You can only use it if you rent one of their boats or are guided on one of their boats. And the fish has to be processed through their facilities.

Doesn't really make it any better.

I wonder what Pendlington thinks of this....he foams all over that group.

Last edited:
some or most lodge if and I say if they offer that type of program..it comes form the ownership, down.... these guys are only doing as directed within the law what ownership has asked of them.....

at one of the lodges i work for the owner asked about buying quota and the manager and the guides told him not to, that it would be bad for business, we need to stick together, and we would not support it it any way. so he did not.

this divide that dfo has created is disgusting.

Yup agree that we as a group need to stick together...and in the back ground SFI and other are working on it... but in the end as long as DFO offers this program there will be business that put it into there business plan.....

Its there decission to work for who they want , imo , they have no respect for sports fishers as a group OR themselves , i dont support any of these commercial outfits that go against the grain of what all us true sports fishers believe in , and the clients that are ok with supporting them are as greedy as the lodge owners
Them selves ,
I strongly advise fellow fishers not to support any guides/ lodges that support buying back quota that belongs to all Canadians,
Weve kicked the **** outta this for a few years now , discusts me that this is happening , yes , were breaking as a group, NOT good

M2b

FD

Quite simple...a protest of boats doesn't change the mind of government...but a flotilla of recreational fishers and guides out in front of business (offending lodges) will have a big impact because customers will be horrified at first and then educated. Any other lodge considering it would really think twice.

Even boats that fish the same area as the Rodgers boats or others with signage on their boats shaming the offenders. Customers will see and will be asking whats that all about

Back