Hook sharpener

RogersonCrusoe

Hi guys,
Pretty self explanatory - I've been pretty frustrated with the number of fish that have struck and then vanished. Close inspection shows that my hooks aren't as sharp as they could be...

Wondering if there's a better option than the hook sharpening stone (flat rectangular stone with a groove in it).

Thanks!

That stone is good, but a bit hard to get the angles right. For Siwash hooks I put them in a vise & use a file. Or buy good hooks like Owner.

I like Owner hooks as mentioned but if using a Siwash hook this contraption works like crazy.

It's just two chainsaw files spot welded together top & bottom-since I don't have a welder I just use JBweld and it works fine.

Just drag the hook down between the files until you have the right angle-them use a flat file/coarse stone to flatten off the front of the hook and you have a perfect Shark's Tooth that will stick any fish for life-your hand too unless you're careful (!)

It'll wear out after a few years and can be easily replicated time & time again.20170701_114238[1].jpg

I've been using DB's method for quite a few years, warning tho the files do rust very quickly

This file from Lee Valley does the trick for me. It has a groove on the round side & is flat on the opposite side.

ag705s2.jpg

They call it a Diamond Sharpening stick.

I like Owner hooks as mentioned but if using a Siwash hook this contraption works like crazy.

It's just two chainsaw files spot welded together top & bottom-since I don't have a welder I just use JBweld and it works fine.

Just drag the hook down between the files until you have the right angle-them use a flat file/coarse stone to flatten off the front of the hook and you have a perfect Shark's Tooth that will stick any fish for life-your hand too unless you're careful (!)

It'll wear out after a few years and can be easily replicated time & time again.View attachment 34068

x2

Few swipes on every hook I tie up.

Even new Gammies out of the bag get the treatment.

Costs about 15 bucks for two at Home Depot.

x2

Few swipes on every hook I tie up.

Even new Gammies out of the bag get the treatment.

Costs about 15 bucks for two at Home Depot.
less at your local lawnmower/saw shop about 4$ each, I use the course and fine. 2 of each bundled together

THE best way to put a point on a hook...
Dremel with a chain saw bit or a sanding wheel.
Takes off the barb perfectly.
Use a stone or other to touch up

might be a stupid question but could help newer guys like me.
Can someone post a side by side with a dull hook and a hook sharpened with the methods described here?

You can try testing your hook by dragging it lightly over your fingernail. If it grabs and sticks in it's sharp.

A guy I've fished with has an old Charlie White electric hook sharpener. It's like a dremel but the bit is at a 90 degree angle. Made the hooks sticky sharp. He says they don't make them anymore but I think I find a small battery powered dremel. I'm sold on them after our recent trip up north. We were batting a 1.000 after three long days and a pile of fish.

I got this hook sharpener at bass pro, less than $10. It has a groove on both sides.. works well. Picture attached.

Attachments

• IMG_0385.JPG
    IMG_0385.JPG
    274.9 KB · Views: 109
A guy I've fished with has an old Charlie White electric hook sharpener. It's like a dremel but the bit is at a 90 degree angle. Made the hooks sticky sharp. He says they don't make them anymore but I think I find a small battery powered dremel. I'm sold on them after our recent trip up north. We were batting a 1.000 after three long days and a pile of fish.

I've been looking for one of these for quite a while too. My gramps used to have one when I was young but can't seem to buy them now.

All good suggestions, for me hooks are cheap..... So if not happy with the point just change them out. If not happy with rust and pitting after the barb just change them out.
I like a smooth shaft up to the bend, helps drive the hook deeper. At least i think so.

I just buy a sheet of 250 grit wet sand paper and one of 600 grit . I get the hook sharp with the 250 and polish it up with the 600. I keep a 2 inch by 4 inch piece of each in my tackle box. they take up no room and will last me all summer.

I have a foam sanding block you get from a paint store course one side fine the other doesn't rust.

Back