2017 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Jackhammer I do work for Tim thru the summer. I also do a lot of my own groups out of Critter and work for a couple other Lodge's.

I'm a bit of a gypsea filling my summer up.

I'd fish with Codfather any time, he is one of the most knowledgeble folks and always loads his boat. Great guy as well.

We finished our last morning today before heading back. Went 6 for 9 before noon. All on the herring aid 30 to 40 feet at entrance of esperenza.

Attachments

• 20170704_122830.jpg
    20170704_122830.jpg
    504.9 KB · Views: 115
I spent a few days in Esperanza with my son and some friends, including Cohochinook.
We had a great time, especially on Sunday, when things were slow for most people. We got on the bite way out, fishing away from the crowd in an area called The Strawberry Patch. We had two triples and a few doubles. Our conversion rate was terrible though. After radioing the coordinates to Cohochinook, we were joined by others, and the next day there were even more, and the fish were gone. All in all, we really enjoyed our trip, it is such a beautiful part of the world.
What worked for us was the usual glow and army truck cuttlefish hoochies fished on the bottom. (220' on the rigger). Purple haze hootchies (150') and purple onion flasher also was a producer. We found that sometimes even though there was lots of bait, there just weren't any takers. Irish cream spoon was working for us too. Generally speaking though, like in Nootka, the fish were not that big. We got all reds, mostly in the high teens and we did get one that tipped a slightly dodgy scale at 30#'s, and the kid that caught it is saying it's a tyee.
On the hali side, I found them to be far out. The usually very productive Pinnacles had nothing going on. Not a boat was out there, and we didn't get a bite in the hour we spent there. They're out at the Onion (20 miles) offshore, and we got quite a few chickens, but couldn't manage anything over 97cm's.
I found the fishing to be better iverall than last year, mostly because we could get offshore, and when we did, we found biters.
All in all, we had a great trip.

Back today after 6 days at Critter. Compared to previous trips it was slower. Had one day with no fish. Not normal, but, I think it may be early yet. As the week progressed, things got better. Only managed one day to Bajo and picked up a nice 20 lb fish and lost a couple of others. There are fish at Bajo and my sense was it's producing as always. I went out Saturday and the water was calm as Codfather said. Best I've seen it.
During the week I fished Hoiss, Strange, San Carlos, Beer Can, Wash, Monument, Maquinna, 3 Bay, Escalante, etc and got not action other than Coho. I put a lot of hours in and was getting worried. Then, Camel Rock starts producing Monday/Tuesday at the tide change. Two 26 lb fish and a 12. All right at the tide change. Lost another 25 lb fish yesterday. It's seems a group of larger fish just moved in as they were all very silver and similar size.
Back up Friday for 4 days.

Last edited:
Alittle deep in nootka for this time, like you said maybe early still.
Had a buddy out there they caught quite afew, brought home limit of 8. Maybe he will post better report. All on spoons and hoochies

Back today after 6 days at Critter. Compared to previous trips it was slower. Had one day with no fish. Not normal, but, I think it may be early yet. As the week progressed, things got better. Only managed one day to Bajo and picked up a nice 20 lb fish and lost a couple of others. There are fish at Bajo and my sense was it's producing as always. I went out Saturday and the water was calm as Codfather said. Best I've seen it.
During the week I fished Hoiss, Strange, San Carlos, Beer Can, Wash, Monument, Maquinna, 3 Bay, Escalante, etc and got not action other than Coho. I put a lot of hours in and was getting worried. Then, Camel Rock starts producing Monday/Tuesday at the tide change. Two 26 lb fish and a 12. All right at the tide change. Lost another 25 lb fish yesterday. It's seems a group of largest fish just moved in as they were all very silver and similar size.
Back up Friday for 4 days.
Thanks Pescador. Were you using large, medium or small lures/bait on the inside?

Howard

Codfather, any idea what the weather looks like off shore for the weekend? I heard Friday may be good.

Hi Pescador

Wind finder says it looks great sun to wed at Estavan point,a little breezy monday I wish I was going up thanks for the report !!!

Billydoo

Back