2017 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

My friend and I are heading up to Newton Cove July 26, for a five-day trip. We are in search of some good Hali areas to fish there and of course, want to limit out on Chinook and whatever else we can. I have heard people talking about the guitar for Hali. Can anyone shoot me the GPS Coordinates of the Guitar? I am new to salt-water fishing. My only trip was to Moucha Bay last year. It wasn't great! We are intending to put in at Gold River and then motor on up into Esperanza inlet and then west to Newton Cove. Any good advice from those who have fished there before would be gratefully received. We also intend on trying out Ferrer Point. Any good ideas

We arrived yesterday at Rodgers Lodge. Doing the bring your own Boat thing. Had good conditions for running offshore. Went 16 miles out. Ended up getting nine Springs and five hali. 150 to 200 ft on white hoochies and larger spoons. here's a photo of my son's with our first fish of the day a double header.

Attachments

• 20170701_105003.jpg
    20170701_105003.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 231
We arrived yesterday at Rodgers Lodge. Doing the bring your own Boat thing. Had good conditions for running offshore. Went 16 miles out. Ended up getting nine Springs and five hali. 150 to 200 ft on white hoochies and larger spoons. here's a photo of my son's with our first fish of the day a double header.
Very nice fish

My friend and I are heading up to Newton Cove July 26, for a five-day trip. We are in search of some good Hali areas to fish there and of course, want to limit out on Chinook and whatever else we can. I have heard people talking about the guitar for Hali. Can anyone shoot me the GPS Coordinates of the Guitar? I am new to salt-water fishing. My only trip was to Moucha Bay last year. It wasn't great! We are intending to put in at Gold River and then motor on up into Esperanza inlet and then west to Newton Cove. Any good advice from those who have fished there before would be gratefully received. We also intend on trying out Ferrer Point. Any good ideas
cant give out the guitar location but just head toward japan and start fishing at 4-20 mile. you can catch a lot of fish starting at 4 mile. i would look over the closed areas before heading to Ferrer, save your self some $$$. alot of good fishing that time of year in esperanza right outside newton cove,

Finally had a day when it's wasn't blowing a Gail Friday for some bottom fishing. We caught the 60# Haly and 4 lingcod. There were 5 days with no go offshore.

Saturday was as flat as **** on a platter (anyone know where that saying comes from?) so offshore we went. It was one of those days that happen 6 times a year when the kicker is not back trolling to keep the jigs on the bottom. Dead quite with no motor running is amazing how many birds and fish you here.

Ended up with the 50# Haly and some nice ling and snappers. Salmon fishing was very slow as Springfever said over the last few days so I concentrated on getting my group the bottom fish they wanted.

Last night fished Beano and caught 2 nice springs. This morning headed back and it was one of those mornings you dream about having your next trip out.

Ended up with our limit of nice springs between 18# up to 28# after sorting out a couple smaller ones. It wasn't full on all the time but just the way I like it. A fish every half an hour or so. Seen lots of other boats hooked up.

3 on my 639 4 inch tubby, 3 on a 5 inch wonder and 3 on a pearl cuddle fish. So no one lute did better than the other.

Let's hope this is the start of a good run coming thru. Johnny caught the first Tyee of the year at the Lodge 2 days ago at Wash Rock.

Codfather looks like you got into some decent fishing.

I am headed up on Wednesday for the first trip of the year. Can't wait. Will be on channel 68 in a red Wooldridge with a black top.

Hey what are you guys using for weather forecasts? I normally look at the Estevan Point marine forecast. Anywhere else that gives a better idea for up at Esperanza? Hoping to hit Ferrer and the offshore reefs if possible. If weather doesn't cooperate then may try down at Nootka.

Codfather looks like you got into some decent fishing.

I am headed up on Wednesday for the first trip of the year. Can't wait. Will be on channel 68 in a red Wooldridge with a black top.

Hey what are you guys using for weather forecasts? I normally look at the Estevan Point marine forecast. Anywhere else that gives a better idea for up at Esperanza? Hoping to hit Ferrer and the offshore reefs if possible. If weather doesn't cooperate then may try down at Nootka.

Yeah Estevan point, the gov't site (west coast van isl south), Swell watch and winyty- they don't always agree--especially the gov't site but if you check them all you have a decent idea of what you are facing!!

Yeah Estevan point, the gov't site (west coast van isl south), Swell watch and winyty- they don't always agree--especially the gov't site but if you check them all you have a decent idea of what you are facing!!
Thanks...well at least they are all consistent in saying it will be windy for Wednesday through Sunday when I am there.

Thanks...well at least they are all consistent in saying it will be windy for Wednesday through Sunday when I am there.

Au Contraire my friend-just looked at windyty for that period and it will be the flattest run of water this year--combined wind wave height of 2 ft at 8 sec----- couldn't be better. I'm heading over and I have some real newbies from calif with zero experience-should be a laugh!! Doesn't pickup til 1400 sun although the interval does shorten to 7secs--which is starting to tell you something

Au Contraire my friend-just looked at windyty for that period and it will be the flattest run of water this year--combined wind wave height of 2 ft at 8 sec----- couldn't be better. I'm heading over and I have some real newbies from calif with zero experience-should be a laugh!! Doesn't pickup til 1400 sun although the interval does shorten to 7secs--which is starting to tell you something

That's a cool site Spring Fever. Thank you. Have you found it to be helpful or is it typical weatherman accuracy where it's wrong 60% of the time? :)

That's a cool site Spring Fever. Thank you. Have you found it to be helpful or is it typical weatherman accuracy where it's wrong 60% of the time? :)

It's right most of the time--EXcept when it's wrong! LOL. Just joking-very accurate the tighter the time frame. I look way out and you can see the wind or storms marching across the pacific-if you are looking 10 days out that weather will get here regardless--it may be a day early or a day late but it starts to form a window for planning. --as your" window" gets closer it becomes more accurate--then I look at swell watch and the extended public forecast and finally wx Canada west coast Vancouver island south(most pessimistic by far) and most general. The ability to forecast for a specific spot---say off the monument cannot be underestimated. I'm bragging here but I have never gone on a west coast trip and never got outside!! I have had to leave a day early or the last day of a four day trip wasn't as advertised but that's how it goes--the farther you are away from the forecast you are looking at the less accurate it becomes. When there is too much conflict in the forecasts and I decide not to go;-- often the weather is not as bad as it could have been. It happens--they all use different models and they don't all agree ;-then you have to make an informed guess.. That's why all the wx people on TV are usually good looking ladies-helps distract you from some unpleasant truths about predicting weather!! LOL

It's right most of the time--EXcept when it's wrong! LOL. Just joking-very accurate the tighter the time frame. I look way out and you can see the wind or storms marching across the pacific-if you are looking 10 days out that weather will get here regardless--it may be a day early or a day late but it starts to form a window for planning. --as your" window" gets closer it becomes more accurate--then I look at swell watch and the extended public forecast and finally wx Canada west coast Vancouver island south(most pessimistic by far) and most general. The ability to forecast for a specific spot---say off the monument cannot be underestimated. I'm bragging here but I have never gone on a west coast trip and never got outside!! I have had to leave a day early or the last day of a four day trip wasn't as advertised but that's how it goes--the farther you are away from the forecast you are looking at the less accurate it becomes. When there is too much conflict in the forecasts and I decide not to go;-- often the weather is not as bad as it could have been. It happens--they all use different models and they don't all agree ;-then you have to make an informed guess.. That's why all the wx people on TV are usually good looking ladies-helps distract you from some unpleasant truths about predicting weather!! LOL

thank you. very helpful

You also forgot to mention you fish in some god awful seas that a lot of people would not venture out in!

Back