2017 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

The guitar is 8 mile reef if you look on the chart it's a structure that's in the shape of a guitar straight out from catella island. Good luck out there be safe,weather checks no 1 !!!

Tight lines
Billydoo

But who cares about the big ones that come in close the surf line? Good logic. No I don't go to meetings.
The idea was to let those big ones spawn for a change. Our inside waters have been closed the retention of Chinooks starting August 1st for over 15 years an didn't help their populations. That was a waste of time if they are being intercepted in Alaska and the North Island. Some even made back to our rivers last year so that restriction worked.
But who cares about the big ones that come in close the surf line? Good logic. No I don't go to meetings.

Awesome report SF, hope to be out that way in 2 weeks, staying at Moutcha again, 4th year there, and looking to find some Hali this year. Anyone know where the T and pinnacles are? Can't find them on my paper charts at home and not near the boat to look for them on the plotter. Hoping for calms seas so we can get out there. TF
go to angler's atlas-Esperanza where Fishon John has given lat/longs ,anyone have those for The T,12 mile reef?

well just got back from nootka,needless today it was a super success we won the moutcha bay derby this past weekend !!!!! My buddy Tyson Briden landed a 27.8 pound chinook on sunday around 9am so we were pumped all day waiting for the way in.so as from my last report the salmon fishing has picked up a lot more at the cleaning tables.some really nice fish also caught.Dale from NSR landed a tyee a 31 lb fish and heard of others that have been taken as well.I was fishing the guitar on sat sun for the derby sat was like a mill pond out there nice when you run 30 off shore doesn't take to much time to get there.Bajo,burdwood,beano all have fish now it was slow start to the trip but ended of really well I still feel like crap after the celebration win,Cant say I dank so much tequila lolo.Fishing the guitar or 8 mile reef off esperanza right on the bottom with a purple flasher gold/silver tape and a blue silver 3.5 coyotey spoon was the ticket for my first derby win as a captain what a great feeling,thats all for now Ill be back up july 19 till aug 10 fishing hard everyday !!!! hope it will be a big fish year its starting out with some really nice chinooks lurking around!!!!

Tight lines
Billydoo
Nice work Paul, No more Bamfield for you anymore I guess. What a life, I guess I should have been a long shore-man.

Doug.

Hey Doug good to hear from you,Ya its pretty good life I have no complaints really lucky to be able to fish as much as I do and still maintain a great job.Hope your doing good bud,I haven't been to bamfeild now for about 7 years fishing just better up in the nootka esperanza in my option and lots of nice halis so hard to beat.Halis aren't far offshore either call me if you ever want to venture up there you would love it.

Tight lines
Billydoo

The idea was to let those big ones spawn for a change. Our inside waters have been closed the retention of Chinooks starting August 1st for over 15 years an didn't help their populations. That was a waste of time if they are being intercepted in Alaska and the North Island. Some even made back to our rivers last year so that restriction worked.

So allow the mature fish from the gold per say or other nootka tribs get pounded so the clayquot fish don't get targeted? Makes sense....Also if fish actually made it back to your rivers last year, they have made back before... or they wouldn't exist in the first place

So allow the mature fish from the gold per say or other nootka tribs get pounded so the clayquot fish don't get targeted? Makes sense....Also if fish actually made it back to your rivers last year, they have made back before... or they wouldn't exist in the first place
Well then you are catching your own fish....great!

I think you're missing the point what he's saying is there were some better numbers that came back last year. It also could result in some more fish coming back to the tribs of nootka, while still offering some angling opportunities.

go to angler's atlas-Esperanza where Fishon John has given lat/longs ,anyone have those for The T,12 mile reef?

The T is almost due west outside of Esperanza just inside the 50 fathom line; you'll see T shaped structure.

25 days until my first trip up to Moutcha Bay. Been thinking about this trip for 4 years, can't wait!!! Will be fishing for 4 days. Is anchovies and hootchies the typical gear guys run at the end of July. Will be fishing the inside mostly. Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!

Last edited:
25 days until my first trip up to Moutcha Bay. Been thinking about trip for 4 years, can't wait!!! Will be fishing for 4 days. Is anchovies and hootchies the typical gear guys run at the end of July. Will be fishing the inside mostly. Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!

Timing should be perfect. Anchovies and hoochies will work. I'd bring along a few flash flies as well. Glo ghost works pretty good... (pearl white color)

Just got back last night from Nootka. Fish are scarce and on the small side. Launched late thurs pm and as usual had a very tough beat down the channel--got to burdwood and it was fishable but unlike 5 days before it was DEAD!!!! Did the monument ,Wash and out to macquinna-very rough and cold. Had a good take on CC coho Killer -lots of trouble in the swell landing a feisty 12 lber--not pretty but gotter done!!
Decent weather-so 5.45 found us in Beano creek- finally found some consistent fishing-they were small for the most part and in the 6 to 8 lb range which we released except for one who wasn't going to make it. Checked his stomach and he was feeding on the smallest herring/sardines I have ever seen. Switched lures to coho killers, AP needlefish, nano and needlefish jugheads and of course way too large 6" anchovies. Size Matters!!! The smaller hardware outperformed the bait but the bait took the biggest fish(23). Called it quits(blown off) around noon-lots of boats sheltering around wash, and the monument-never saw a net!! I forgotten why I hate sailboaters but I was about to get a demonstration. I anchor in my usual spot- large sailboat comes in and anchors a safe distance off to my port and stern ties to shore-nice guy comes over asks about fishing and I tell him it is not great (as I'm hoisting the 23 onto my cleaning table)-he laughs!! Says 3 more boats are coming in and I thought this would be interesting. So in due course they all arrive and stern tie together. No problem!! At 6 I leave to try Burdwood and after battling Hurricane like winds and giving it up for a lost cause I return to the anchorage to find that 1 of the sailboats has now moved over to where I had been--- effectively leaving me--- nothing!! Did he have a Moaner or snorer on board that would make him leave the herd or just a dislike of powerboater type fishermen??/
I was dissuaded by saner members of my crew not to visit with a Molotov cocktail at mid-night so I resorted to ancient curses learned in my 9 years in Saudi Arabia. I was watching hopefully on last nights news expecting to see an epidemic of an unknown camel pox among sailors!! Guess they haven't got to port yet!! Rant over!! Next morning into Beano-same old, same old-smaller lures in cop car and bait--tight to the kelp (sometimes too tight) Was the key!! quite a few boats in there-really working the key at the top of beano in front of the house. I was having fun trying to lose my balls around the pinnacles and kelp. 39 to 49 ft of wire in 55 to 60 ft of water. Called it a day and a limit to make the tide at Gold River by 10 30. A bit trying, a few fish are inside-I know guys won't like this but I would say from the last 2 trips it will be a below average season! So get at her and don't expect a cake walkDSC00994.JPG DSC00995.JPG

We did a quick overnighter in Nootka, Got to Camel rock around 8;30pm did a quick troll and got a 10 pound feeder on a AP spoon. Hit the hay to prepare for a run out to Bajo in the morning. On the way out trolled the lighthouse to Maquinna rock, nothing. Ran out to Bajo, tried for Hali and no love. Decided to troll and caught a nice wild coho while setting the riggers down on a hootchie at 100 feet in 200 feet of water. Released un harmed and trolled for a bit more around the Can. Caught a nice 20 pound hatchery spring, just pulled the line off the quick release to change gear when it hit. Great fight! Saw Pescador out there hunting for salmon, tried to get a good pic of his boat but the camera lens had sunscreen on it. All in all I found it slow, 2 springs a lingcod and a couple rock fish.
Found the ***** looking things were worse out in 200' and deeper than near shore around Bajo.

Three weeks and we are back so it should pick up, hopefully.
On a side note the coast gard were looking for a boat off escalanza that lost power, anyone know the outcome?

Back