Gibbs spoons

X2 for the tomic spoons, and AP spoons. The coho killers are a single fish lure in my hands. They get twisted up too easily.

Have any of you tried the new Oki Titan spoons? Locally painted, super high quality and awesome glow. Check out this pic that I took. The glow lasts a long time.

Attachments

• IMG_20170521_205158.jpg
    IMG_20170521_205158.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 66
What is everyone elses experience with Gibbs? I am rather disappointed with them, sure they do catch fish but they don't last.

I *despise* planned obsolescence, it's wasteful and dishonest. If a company can make a productive spoon and use materials that don't last, most of their market is likely to buy it again, and it's better for their bottom line. My skinny-g spoons are rusted (the body) and the scale stickers are peeling and I'm not even half way into their first season. Maybe I got a bad batch, but I'm not impressed. My Coyotes? Apart from some understandable toothwork on paint, they're pristine, 5-15 seasons old.

I make a point of not re-buying those types of products.

I'd rather pay more for something that lasts (nod to AP Tackleworks).

Edit: Won an Oki Titan a couple weeks ago, haven't used it yet but looking forward to seeing if it stands up.

how does a company stay in business if your using a spoon that was purchased 15-20 years ago?......
how does a company stay in business if your using a Flasher that was purchased 15-20 years ago?......
go to the cheapest manufacturer and lower your cost and create a throw away market. its kinda like the tv you have, you throw it away and buy a new one everytime it breaks. the people at gibbs are awesome, and will probably stay in business for years after salmon stocks are at the low of the low.
ps: don't leave them in the sun!!! they fade, lol

how does a company stay in business if your using a spoon that was purchased 15-20 years ago?......
how does a company stay in business if your using a Flasher that was purchased 15-20 years ago?......
go to the cheapest manufacturer and lower your cost and create a throw away market. its kinda like the tv you have, you throw it away and buy a new one everytime it breaks. the people at gibbs are awesome, and will probably stay in business for years after salmon stocks are at the low of the low.
Majority of People I know like to buy quality. That's the problem with society today people have become numb and ok with a throw away society. I look at that as being taken advantage of almost like stealing imo. Make something to last couple times out then spend another $8 on lure is bs Imo. I'm a fabricator by trade and when I purchase tools for my trade I look for something that is gonna last and not let me down after a couple of uses. In the long run I'd much rather pay more for a quality product...my 2 cents

Majority of People I know like to buy quality. That's the problem with society today people have become numb and ok with a throw away society. I look at that as being taken advantage of almost like stealing imo. Make something to last couple times out then spend another $8 on lure is bs Imo. I'm a fabricator by trade and when I purchase tools for my trade I look for something that is gonna last and not let me down after a couple of uses. In the long run I'd much rather pay more for a quality product...my 2 cents
Dont get me wrong Solo..... I'm also in trades and carry a contactors license. I am responsible for all tools. If I didn't buy quality your shop would cost alot more. I'm just pointing out that....
If I made a spoon nowadays that lasted 10-20 years I would be out of business. There are barely any fish in our waters anymore. If you aren't hooking fish then your not breaking off and coming back for another of my quality spoons, etc. BUT... If I make not as good and you have to replace them then I'm selling tackle.
I never said that 8$$ shouldn't get you quality. Maybe if it pisses enough people off you could right Gibbs a letter and tell then that the hardcore fisherman would buy a quality spoon and be willing to pay 10-15. Maybe they will come out with a guide line of products at a price

Scotty makes a quality product and is still in business.

Boycott product which does not meet quality standards. Silver Horde is also on borrowed time in my books...

I just hope Gibbs keeps the current quality of the Oki spoons...wishful thinking I'm sure.

I think they are on limited time. O'ki product is completely superior to Gibbs Made in China Product. O'ki was for sale. It got bought. The product line is in direct competition to Gibbs Made in China brands. I do not foresee any business owner having the ability to improve margin by 100% or more keeping product in production on North American soil.

Rhys Davis teaser heads are now packaged and Made in China and there are already quality issues. I watched Rhys Davis teasers cook and become crap on the back of a boat in a couple of days this past week. The original product hung in there I damaged by UV.

Ever notice how Certain products are only readily available in certain styles despite the zillion skus they offer? someone's margin is more important that your choice of product.

I had good luck with the Cop Car Skinny G in Barkley last August. Yes, the paint chipped badly, the glow is poor, the fishscale decal peeled, and it got bent on every fish. I didn't like the way the hook looked in the first place so I changed it. Crappy I know. It kept working for two days though and caught about a dozen fish. For the same price as a pack of bait, I'll use them again begrudgingly.
When I was in the Hastings Army and Navy in November they had some spoons that looked the same as a Skinny G, but were called the Needle G. They have a heavier gauge of brass. I didn't buy any, but assume they would not bend as easily. I haven't seen much info on them.
As for "Made in America" stuff, the election results cast doubt on whether ~50% of them can do anything requiring pride or thought, besides sports or entertainment. We are nostalgia for the good old days of craftsmanship: it probably doesn't matter where anything is made; it won't be as good, or will cost much more.

Correct me if i am wrong but I believe that OKI was bought out by Gibbs. Ultimately this means the product will disappear ( competion). Or it will start to be made in China . Money money money. Sing along if you want

I totally understand offshore and why it's done. Many don't understand supply chain and wholesale costs and what the consumer will buy. You can't really blame a company for that.

Most would love to make their stuff here. But in world of plastics and rip off tooling in US Asia is more attractive. Most suppliers in Asia just cover the tooling costs initially. Some tools are 50k plus initially. That's a huge R and D cost.

Scotty is great company but really you think it has no Asian parts in it? Electrical parts? Is the counter made here? I am sure they do not want to do that either but would you pay for a 1500 down rigger if all components were Canadian?

Of course it's about money or else a manufacturer is not going to do it. Also keep in mind it's only 51 percent Canadian goods and anyone can slap a made in Canada sticker on it.

Gibbs is a Canadian company. I get the durability thing and I would contact them directly on it. If it really bugs you it's best to talk to them and try to make it right. I think you should give the manufacturer some time to respond with your concerns.

I also think it's great you support local Canadian guys like Andrew at AP spoons or others. It's a complete struggle with you guys because the price will be higher to you as its made here. I would say this is the hardest thing of all. You can make anything durable but ther is a price point when people walk away.

I will say that Gibbs from my first hand experience never ever flinches with donating it's products for enhancement. It has been very generous in that regard.

I like hearing some of these comments though. 5 years ago I never heard such willingness on here to buy more expensive because it was made in Canada and more durable. Maybe there is hope. It is a good discussion but maybe give company a chance by making concerns clear.

Just my view....

Last edited:
Correct me if i am wrong but I believe that OKI was bought out by Gibbs. Ultimately this means the product will disappear ( competion). Or it will start to be made in China . Money money money. Sing along if you want
I know that for fear of Gibbs discontinuing Oki Titans that the fellas at Pacific Playgrounds bought every single Oki spoon that the distributor had. Once they are gone they are probably gone for good...there is a marked difference in paint quality and build IMHO. They are going to get a lot of play this summer...

Back