2017 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Three hours at Thrasher on Saturday evening. 2 unders and a hatchery coho of about 6 lbs. First coho of the season for me.

We headed over to Gabriola Early on Saturday, conditions for the crossing where great cruising speed all the way, started at entrance but didn't hit anything for an hour, current was making it really hard to fish. Pulled up and headed down to Grande, started hitting fish right away. Lots of coho's, but all wild, lots of just under springs. managed two in the 10lb range one at 130ft another at 210ft all on Irish Cream. fished for lings around thrasher, got one.

Is it just me or has ling fishing really slowed down around Thrasher? Entrance used to be good for lings but the last time we fished it, it was like a ghost town.

Any sign of coho off west van yet? I have company in town this week and was hoping to take them out Sat.

Thanks for the all the replies. I did get out and made one pass from Ambelside to Fisheries. No sign of any coho (nothing on the sounder, no jumpers, no nothing :))

Then took a rip over to the Bell Buoy and targeted chinook for an hour or so. Lots bait and a few marks on the sounder back towards the mile markers. Unfortunately had to call it quits by 11 am with nothing to show for it other than a nasty tangle thanks to tides + wind.

We headed over to Gabriola Early on Saturday, conditions for the crossing where great cruising speed all the way, started at entrance but didn't hit anything for an hour, current was making it really hard to fish. Pulled up and headed down to Grande, started hitting fish right away. Lots of coho's, but all wild, lots of just under springs. managed two in the 10lb range one at 130ft another at 210ft all on Irish Cream. fished for lings around thrasher, got one.

Is it just me or has ling fishing really slowed down around Thrasher? Entrance used to be good for lings but the last time we fished it, it was like a ghost town.

Lings have been open for awhile now so it is a little more selective I would think

It doesn't take long with guys pulling lings off the reef to reduce the numbers.

Did my time at the lighthouse today from 10-12:30 then to the Bell until 3ish. Not a sniff. Boxed a couple of crabs so not a total loss, although it was pretty lumpy out there.

Today the wife and I took a shake down cruise up Indian Arm. I did some fuel line work and wanted to check out my handy work. We managed some nice crab out of Bedwell Bay and a few prawns.
it looks like someone had a bad weekend and sunk their boat just outside Bedwell by the marker. We were coming into Bedwell from Granite Falls and seen a large tourist boat dumping crab over the side by buckets. I have no idea what that was about and when we got closer to the vessel the captain made a b-line towards me. I turned and got out the way and continued to watch as the dumped crab overboard. Sounded like some sort of Chinese music playing over the loud speakers. Strange to say the least......

Mike

Today the wife and I took a shake down cruise up Indian Arm. I did some fuel line work and wanted to check out my handy work. We managed some nice crab out of Bedwell Bay and a few prawns.
it looks like someone had a bad weekend and sunk their boat just outside Bedwell by the marker. We were coming into Bedwell from Granite Falls and seen a large tourist boat dumping crab over the side by buckets. I have no idea what that was about and when we got closer to the vessel the captain made a b-line towards me. I turned and got out the way and continued to watch as the dumped crab overboard. Sounded like some sort of Chinese music playing over the loud speakers. Strange to say the least......

Mike
So did you get the name of the boat ?

Today the wife and I took a shake down cruise up Indian Arm.....We were coming into Bedwell from Granite Falls and seen a large tourist boat dumping crab over the side by buckets. I have no idea what that was about and when we got closer to the vessel the captain made a b-line towards me. I turned and got out the way and continued to watch as the dumped crab overboard. Sounded like some sort of Chinese music playing over the loud speakers. Strange to say the least......
Occasionally Buddhists will release captured animals back into the wild-they literally buy the animal's freedom it could be birds or fish or shellfish (that's how Lobsters end up in local waters) I think in the Buddhist faith this sort of action wins you brownie points but can't remember the details.

Deep fishing. ;)

Does anyone still fish around here? I'm heading up the coast for the weekend. I'll be targeting a good time primarily, might tie a hook and line to my big toe. Will report back :cool:

Does anyone still fish around here? I'm heading up the coast for the weekend. I'll be targeting a good time primarily, might tie a hook and line to my big toe. Will report back :cool:

We were out off S Bowen yesterday afternoon/ eve and this am. Ended up with a few unders an one barely legal. There are some bait balls and fish out there but you really have to put your time in....

Back