2017 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Nootka report-launched Fr1 at 11 am-fished san carlos and strange-Nada-out to Beano -single 18 on a chovie at 43 ft-fished Macquinna and wash-single 16 on a cop car coyote at 80ft. Very little bait showing at the monument. Even old fishermen make bad decisions-I elected to go south for lings and Hali's very early sat morning trying to duplicate what we did 3 weeks ago. No dice same numbers--must have caught them all. Trolled back for awhile-not too many of the pink Pyrosomes but a few-gave up and put the pedal to the metal and got to a cluster of tight boats outer Bajo-gear down and 5 minutes later about a 10lber on a chovie at 110 ft. That was it--the boats started to disperse so I think there could have been a good bite at dawn and we just caught the tail end. Had some great fun with Aussie knife jigs for 1/2 hour or so around some rock out crops(find your ownLOL) Fish seemed kind of scarce and on the smallish size. Had a huge afternoon nap and hit Burdwood-tried various techniques and depths and finally started hitting fish-chovie worked and out quite a bit farther from the rocks than I usually fish. Cop car iced a couple. Sun morning based on what I had seen decided Burdwood was the plan-first light we were the only boat-Hate to admit it but I was chased from using chovies-went through 10 in about 15 min-and no salmon hits-switched to cop car coloured AP needlefish and a copcar colored coho killer--- again farther away from the rocks then normal--80 to 120 ft of wire in 140 to 225 ft of water. Couple of decent coho and a limit of springs for 3 guys-nothing over 16 lb-lots of under size-pretty fine mornings fishing. Army truck Coho killer worked as well. Ramp was crowded-still a zoo-wish guys would sort their trailers before using a crowded ramp to make adjustments and expect to keep relaunching while guys are waiting in the river!! Great trip-really hot sunny weather-fish are a little thin(scarce) and smaller than usual but if you put in the time there are some there. Good luck!!

Do you ever go to the meetings where they explain the rational for their regs? Bajo and Ferrer closures are to protect sensitive runs like our Clayoquot Chinooks

But who cares about the big ones that come in close the surf line? Good logic. No I don't go to meetings.

5616288_orig.jpg herring-chubby-chovie-word2_orig.jpg

The Kermit, Cop Car and the UV Herring

Thanks for the report SF! We are hoping to head out that way in a week or so and we can't wait! In the meantime we'll keep praying to the weather gods for sunshine and calm seas when we are out there!

Where you getting these from Gil??

Wondering...
Nog
Nog, Obviously I'm not Gil. :) Those are the olympic tackle flies. Pretty sure you can get them on line.

Here's a picture of the grand slam flies for comparison:

All of these are the Herring size:
Green
Army Truck
Purple haze
black
Red racer
Blue
White

Howard
7-up-Herring.jpg

Awesome report SF, hope to be out that way in 2 weeks, staying at Moutcha again, 4th year there, and looking to find some Hali this year. Anyone know where the T and pinnacles are? Can't find them on my paper charts at home and not near the boat to look for them on the plotter. Hoping for calms seas so we can get out there. TF

Awesome report SF, hope to be out that way in 2 weeks, staying at Moutcha again, 4th year there, and looking to find some Hali this year. Anyone know where the T and pinnacles are? Can't find them on my paper charts at home and not near the boat to look for them on the plotter. Hoping for calms seas so we can get out there. TF

If you check last year's Nootka reports, Codfather (I think) gave directions to these. They are MUCH closer to esperanza, and a real boat ride from Moutcha.

But who cares about the big ones that come in close the surf line? Good logic. No I don't go to meetings.
I got this from the DFO office today. Should be accurate until they change things.

Attachments

• Area 25 and 125 Coho Openings and Closures 2017.JPG
    Area 25 and 125 Coho Openings and Closures 2017.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 180
  • Esperanza Chinook Openings and Closures 2017.JPG
    Esperanza Chinook Openings and Closures 2017.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 157
  • Nootka Sound Chinook Openings and closures.JPG
    Nootka Sound Chinook Openings and closures.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 170
I posted both those coordinates on last years thread, so you can find them there.
Thx for the report SF. I'll be there (Esperanza) on Friday with our esteemed member Cohochinook and our sons. Will post a report.

well just got back from nootka,needless today it was a super success we won the moutcha bay derby this past weekend !!!!! My buddy Tyson Briden landed a 27.8 pound chinook on sunday around 9am so we were pumped all day waiting for the way in.so as from my last report the salmon fishing has picked up a lot more at the cleaning tables.some really nice fish also caught.Dale from NSR landed a tyee a 31 lb fish and heard of others that have been taken as well.I was fishing the guitar on sat sun for the derby sat was like a mill pond out there nice when you run 30 off shore doesn't take to much time to get there.Bajo,burdwood,beano all have fish now it was slow start to the trip but ended of really well I still feel like crap after the celebration win,Cant say I dank so much tequila lolo.Fishing the guitar or 8 mile reef off esperanza right on the bottom with a purple flasher gold/silver tape and a blue silver 3.5 coyotey spoon was the ticket for my first derby win as a captain what a great feeling,thats all for now Ill be back up july 19 till aug 10 fishing hard everyday !!!! hope it will be a big fish year its starting out with some really nice chinooks lurking around!!!!

Tight lines
Billydoo

Hi Tailwalker, I was on the DFO site today to get those maps to print off but could not find them.

Do you have a link so I could print them off?

I tried to print your images but they printed small.

Thanks,

Mike

Hi Tailwalker, I was on the DFO site today to get those maps to print off but could not find them.

Thanks,

Mike
Those maps are not on the DFO site. They were sent to me by one of the regional offices. I cannot seem to be able to upload the file. I've PM you with my email address if yo

Thanks,

Mike
I've sent you a PM ("conversation")

Back