2017 Gulf Island Reports

Caught a 12 and 8 today between Thrasher and the Grande ... Irish Cream and Cookies and cream spoons ... each got hits that didn't stick and each put 1 in the box. Tried hoochies too but no love on them for us today. Minimal algae but still enough to require a bit of hand picking at the end of the day. Awesome conditions on the water throughout the day.

Fished Thrasher yesterday (8 hrs)from Grande around the light and south of Gabriola Reefs. Picked up one 12lbs Chinook on anchovy, two undersize (released) , one on Homeland Security spoon, the other on a green splatterback hoochy. A couple of hits and another broke off. 12 lb. fish was stuffed with 4-5 inch herring.

Fishing was generally slow, better in the afternoon. No action for us at Grande, better east of Grande. Appeared to be Some action on other boats. Mr. Seal caught a fish, all on his own. ;)

Fished polier today and it was slow didn't get a single hit, went and jigged for a couple hours after that and managed to find ling cod and then we headed on in.

I wouldn't be too worried about leaving my truck and trailer there, lots of locals around keeping an eye on stuff. Launch gets shallow at low tide, stick close to the ferry terminal and you'll be alright. Dusted my prop there once trying to turn around on low tide, lesson learned about sticking close to the terminal.
Cheers
OK to take a 26' (draws 3' of water)out at Crofton in a 5.9' tide?

OK to take a 26' (draws 3' of water)out at Crofton in a 5.9' tide?

You should have no problem on a 5.9 tide. Just make sure you stick to the ferry dock side as said before. I can in at 100 on Saturday low tide was 1230 it was a 2 foot tide I think. I had 3 feet of water at the shallowest I have watched a guy put in a 26 foot plus on a 0 tide it was quite comical and I wouldn't recommend that.

You should have no problem on a 5.9 tide. Just make sure you stick to the ferry dock side as said before. I can in at 100 on Saturday low tide was 1230 it was a 2 foot tide I think. I had 3 feet of water at the shallowest I have watched a guy put in a 26 foot plus on a 0 tide it was quite comical and I wouldn't recommend that.
thanks for the tips bonez bay be we'll hook up-26' Devoni Skipjack

Salamanca pt yesterday for the low slack. 3 hours, went 3/4 on legals. Glow skinny G's and deeper than last couple weeks 150 to 160 ft on rigger in 220 ft of water. Freshet is a lot farther south than 2 weeks ago. Nothing big - biggest fish was 73 cm. Fishing was slower than 2 weeks ago, just like everyone has said.

Any brown algae reports for Salamanca,Porlier,Thrasher? Hoping to get out this weekend, weather permitting. Sounds like it has been improving

2B42AA00-3F7D-412C-9F26-E0798E910F3C.JPG Crossed over to Saltspring tonight from Vancouver and dropped the lines at Porlier for 45 minutes ,,, hard to believe the amount of bait we passed thru at all depths ... haven't seen it like that on either side of the strait for close to 6 weeks now. Unfortunately, we didn't catch dinner but we saw enough to know where we will drop the lines on Sunday on the way back (will likely hit both Porlier and Thrasher). Curious if anyone hit any fish at Porlier today.

Anyways, no fish but we were rewarded with the usual Gulf Islands sunset ... all good.

Moby's Fishing Derby was a great success, but lots of boats got skunked, or close to it. Biggest fish was 19.

Moby's Fishing Derby was a great success, but lots of boats got skunked, or close to it. Biggest fish was 19.

Had a blast at the 2017 Salt Spring Island Moby's Fishing Derby. For the $100 entry they gave you a shirt, guaranteed prize, additional prize bag if you caught fish, included appetizers on Fri night, dinner on sat, and a smoked steak sandwich on Sunday. Definitely an awesome value for a fantastic 1.5days of fishing. Prizes were really good for a derby of this size, thanks to this guy: http://www.ssireelaction.ca

Raised a good amount for the Pacific Salmon Foundation too.

We *did* have a surprise from the DFO with a 65-85cm slot limit announced just before the start of the derby. The winner was indeed a 19lb fish that measured in between "84.5 to 85cm". There was a 23lb released, and a 28-30lb released too (obviously over the 85cm retention limit).

Now for the report: Early morning was by far the best time to hookup. We fished Salamanca, most productive was anchovy, depths were all over the place. Even with all the derby pressure, I'm not aware of anyone who limited out. Most fish were 8 - 12lbs. Caught *loads* of immature dogfish (even caught one on a surface line running a spoon?). Not much bait seen. Oh, an the orca pods didn't help things. All in all a great father's day weekend!

I'll be staying on the south end of Valdez this weekend and will get out to Porlier or may run up to Thrasher. Never fished Porlier, could it be just as good as the Gabriola Reefs this time of year on a given day or should I be running up the straight?

We're planning a trip from Vancouver to Mayne for a week mid July, can someone point me in the right direction for the best spot nearby for Chinook and next lings? Thrasher/Porlier? Or is there somewhere closer? Thanks in advance!

We're planning a trip from Vancouver to Mayne for a week mid July, can someone point me in the right direction for the best spot nearby for Chinook and next lings? Thrasher/Porlier? Or is there somewhere closer? Thanks in advance!

Which side of Mayne are you staying? Pender Bluffs is a good bet for springs but mid-July is hit and miss... it's more consistent in August. You're probably not going to get too many good ling spots on this forum.... just take a look at your charts and find some reefs that look good... no shortage of them in the area... just be sure to stay clear of the MANY rockfish conservation areas all around the gulf islands. Good luck

You may have luck at Collinson Point, which is the Galiano Island southern entrance to Active Pass. Of course beware of Ferries and of strong currents that could sweep you into the Pass.

Back