Bucktailing for Coho

Has anyone tried bucktailing with a fly for Coho? Thinking of trying it this weekend and curious about the technique. Can I just do it on a third rod in-between the rods on the riggers and at the trolling speed?

When I was a kid fishing Barkley sound a lot with my old man, we used to throw a third rod out the back with a bucktail on it pretty often. Sometimes we'd add a 2 oz slip weight. That rod caught a lot of really nice Coho. But that was a crapload of years ago.
What the hell, it's worth a try. You may be really surprised what happens.

We have run a bucktail right in the prop wash and caught Coho and even Springs into the high teens (rare). We sometimes use a clevis with a spinning blade in front of the fly and just let "skip" along in the wash. It would submerge and then pop onto the surface creating a little wake before submerging again. Like Kildonan, it has been awhile since I have tried it, but if there are Coho around, why not give it a shot. So much fun on a fly rod. Good luck!

I've had luck with a bucktail and jug head behind the prop wash. Same action as above, popping, diving etc. Lots of fun there.

Last edited:
Anytime I am on the West Coast and close to structure, a fly line with a clouser minnow fly and some anchovy oil is usually dragged on the surface.

Has anyone tried bucktailing with a fly for Coho? Thinking of trying it this weekend and curious about the technique. Can I just do it on a third rod in-between the rods on the riggers and at the trolling speed?

Works great in Winter Harbour,

Two things that your fishing partners do not like :
1. You need to troll fast, not good if they are fishing bait, or plastic.
2. Takes you like longer to bring fish to boat due to light fly rod.

But great fun, and really works well if you troll fast.

If your "bucktailing" then your not traditionally trolling. Put bucktails back in the wash. Outside rods with just alittle weight. Middle rod just the bucktail. Speed up and go fast so the middle rod is up on the surface. Troll close to kelp edges. adjust the bucktail weight and speed to what is working. Usually do tho after the morning bite has ended and there isn't much happening

Back