halibut and lodges and quota

trophywife

Crew Member
had a friend up at a northern lodge who killed a hali over 100lbs...

so i am wondering if there is any resource to find out as a consumer and a person who wants to refer lodges to friends, who is buying quota?

There should be a list available to consumers if there isn't already. Not so they can go to a lodge buying quota but not to go there. Name it the Page of Shame

Lots of lodges have that so much for conservation just so long as you pay a "Slipper Skipper"

Lots of lodges have that so much for conservation just so long as you pay a "Slipper Skipper"

we , or mostly all of us have beaten this horrible horse to death, understand the BS behind it, i just want to be able to make informed decisions when recommending a lodge or going to one ;)

I have been at Langara with West Coast Fishing Club & Hippa with West Coast Resorts. At Langara, fish that were close were measured & released if needed. 1 over 1 under STRICTLY enforced. At Hippa, we did not catch any large Halibut, but 1 over 1 under STRICTLY enforced. No mention of buying quota at either outfit. If I got 1 fish close to 130 that would do me for the year & I would forego the 1 under.

When I was up at QCL & at WCR (Haida Gwaii) I quizzed them both & was told that they do not support it. The Manager of WCR, (I believe his name is Morey?) says he is lobbing against it & would never allow it... Not sure who up there would be unless they are one of the smaller outfits?

I have been at Langara with West Coast Fishing Club & Hippa with West Coast Resorts. At Langara, fish that were close were measured & released if needed. 1 over 1 under STRICTLY enforced. At Hippa, we did not catch any large Halibut, but 1 over 1 under STRICTLY enforced. No mention of buying quota at either outfit. If I got 1 fish close to 130 that would do me for the year & I would forego the 1 under.

I can concur with this. At Hippa I got a 133cm & the guide measured it 3 times. At first it was over but he was running the tape over top of the fishing which gives a measurement of the perimeter not the length. Once we measured from the bottom we were right on the money & then he said we could kill it. How you measure makes a big difference.

Not trying to open up a can of worms, just an honest question. What is the difference if a sporty purchases commercial quota to get more Halibut vs just buying commercial caught halibut in the store for 3x the cost? At least a sporty can insure its only smaller Halibut taken & know that the fish on his table was harvested sustainably..

Again guys not trying to open up a can of worms.. Just an honest question I have often thought about & have been nervous to ask...

Not trying to open up a can of worms, just an honest question. What is the difference if a sporty purchases commercial quota to get more Halibut vs just buying commercial caught halibut in the store for 3x the cost? At least a sporty can insure its only smaller Halibut taken & know that the fish on his table was harvested sustainably..

Again guys not trying to open up a can of worms.. Just an honest question I have often thought about & have been nervous to ask...

the problem would be that it starts a snowball that will affect everything in the water,crab,salmon, shellfish etc.., those fish are supposed to be ours as canadians first and foremost, but the way the quota has been managed it belongs to a wealthy few who do not even own boats or actually fish for a living. the quota was given away and now we are expected to pay for access to it? so if you were a rich guy you can catch a biggie and pay for it? if you are fn you can kill a biggie, if your a commie you can? but if you are just a regular Canadian with a sport license you cant. does this help your Q?

ANY KNOWN LODGES SELLING QUOTA? how do they advertise it? or is it a dirty secret those lodges that do buy quota keep it hush until the guide needs to sell it to them?

the problem would be that it starts a snowball that will affect everything in the water,crab,salmon, shellfish etc.., those fish are supposed to be ours as canadians first and foremost, but the way the quota has been managed it belongs to a wealthy few who do not even own boats or actually fish for a living. the quota was given away and now we are expected to pay for access to it? so if you were a rich guy you can catch a biggie and pay for it? if you are fn you can kill a biggie, if your a commie you can? but if you are just a regular Canadian with a sport license you cant. does this help your Q?

ANY KNOWN LODGES SELLING QUOTA? how do they advertise it? or is it a dirty secret those lodges that do buy quota keep it hush until the guide needs to sell it to them?

I get what you are saying. It's us paying for access to our resources. I thought that the quota was owned by the Crown & leased out. I thought they only issues the amount of quota that the DFO says can be sustained.

Sorry for my ignorance on the subject. I took some time to look back at previous threads and I am clear now on the subject. (And also pissed off)

I wish I had the money to take the Feds to court...

Any guide or lodge that buys quota is f***ing the rest of us

Any sportie that does this is a total A-hole. Any idiot can reef-in a big Halibut; no challenge there. If I can, I try to get somebody else to reel mine in for me. If you look at the reports from West Coast Fishing Club, they do hype-up the biggies they C/R.

Here's just an interesting thought to the "value" of halibut on the commercial side now. Halibut quota is now selling for around $114.00 per pound. So a 100 lb fish represents a purchase of $11,400.00. If you own quota you can fish it once a year or lease it out to other licence holders and the going rate is somewhere between $7.00-$9.00 per pound.

It wasn't that many years ago in BC where halibut was an open derby style fishery. There were certain openings but anyone could get into the fishery. Heck if you follow the history of how halibut has been managed on the entire Pacific Coast over its time you will discover it is moving more and more towards a privately controlled resource.

had a friend up at a northern lodge who killed a hali over 100lbs...

so i am wondering if there is any resource to find out as a consumer and a person who wants to refer lodges to friends, who is buying quota?
What lodge let him bonk an over?

Back