Feeding eagles

People used to think it was fun to feed Seals, then Sea Lions then this

Ever seen a puppy taken by an Eagle?

It happened on Quadra Island.

Back in the 80's we did a lot of fishing in Sannich Inlet and it was fairly common for anglers to hold up and wave a small salmon and the eagles would come from a great distance from perches way up on the steep walls of the inlet. They really do have great eyes. The salmon would be tossed in beside the boat and the Eagles would sweep down talons out and grab it beside the boat before it could recover and swim off. My guess is that would not be legal now and perhaps was not back then either but it did make for some great pictures.

Had a young guide from Painter's do that once with a black cod off Quadra about 15 years ago. We were a good mile off the island and as soon as he started waving his arms we could see the eagle take off. I don't think it was the first time he had done that.

My buddy calls them in all the time. I have seen them take lots of floaters off the side of the boat.

Story on Chek News stated they were fishing Hali and we're gonna use salmon belly for bait - they saw the eagle circling so staged it with the salmon on the engine.

Nonetheless, a cool shot - seen some close swoops out in Bamfield too when we had an unfortunate floater... always amazing!

One of my all time favorite nature moments caught in the raw. The top eagle picked up a spring head from the beach, the bottom one is from another nesting pair - it came in and inverted (Top Gun style) under the other one and snagged the head from the other one. The top one lost it's lift and crashed and burned (spiraled into the water.) It was cool watching him swim to shore, dried off for a couple of minutes and took off.

DSC_0117.JPG

Very cool shot Prairie

People used to think it was fun to feed Seals, then Sea Lions then this

Ever seen a puppy taken by an Eagle?

It happened on Quadra Island.

quadra yes!!, at drew harbour/we wai kai.. i think that eagle has picked up a few!!.

Back