Category(s):
RECREATIONAL - Salmon

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN0545-Recreational - Salmon - Area 19 and 20 - Chinook Management Actions Effective June 17, 2017

Further to FN0155 and FN0301, the Department will be managing fisheries based
on management zone 1 (i.e. returns to the Fraser below or equal to 45,000
chinook) for Fraser Spring 5-2 and Summer 5-2 chinook.

Effective Dates: 00:01 hours June 17, 2017 until 23:59 hours July 14, 2017

Waters: Subareas 19-1 to 19-4 and Subareas 20-4 to 20-7.

Management Measures: The daily limit is two (2) chinook which must be either:
-Wild or hatchery-marked if between 45 and 85cm.
-Hatchery marked if greater than 85 cm.

The minimum size limit for chinook salmon in these waters is 45 cm.

Variation order 2017-300

Notes:

Barbless hooks are required when fishing for salmon in tidal and non-tidal
waters of British Columbia.

The term "hatchery marked" means a fish that has a healed scar in place of the
adipose fin.

Sport anglers are encouraged to participate in the voluntary Salmon Sport Head
Recovery program by labelling and submitting heads from adipose fin-clipped
chinook and coho salmon. Recovery of coded-wire tags provides critical
information for coast-wide stock assessment. Contact the Salmon Sport Head
Recovery Program at (866) 483-9994 for further information.

Rockfish Conservation Areas that are currently in effect and are closed to all
fin fishing. Descriptions of these closures, and other recreational fishing
information, can be found on the Internet at:

www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish

Did you witness suspicious fishing activity or a violation? If so, please call
the Fisheries and Ocean Canada 24-hour toll free Observe, Record, Report line
at (800) 465-4336.

For the 24 hour recorded opening and closure line, call toll free at
1-(866)431-FISH (3474).

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

Contact the nearest Fisheries and Oceans Canada office or visit our website at
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Fisheries and Oceans Canada Operations Center - FN0545
Sent June 15, 2017 at 14:39
Visit us on the Web at http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

If you would like to unsubscribe, please submit your request at: http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=manage_subscription

If you have any questions, please contact us via e-mail to: OpsCentre@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

3 generation out this am. Started at secretary and hit some coho early. Kept a small clipped for my son then moved down to trap shack. That was it for the rest of the morning. Saw 2 other small ones caught and that was it.

Out with both brothers in law today.
One clipped coho and 4 wild we gave back.

Water was nice and weather not too terrible.

Saw a couple guys with decent springs at the cleaning table.

We had an 11lber within 10 minutes of gear in at kreyke but that was it for us.
T2

Otter -Muir, 4 hours on the yak yesterday morning 7:30_ 11:30, no nada. I miss the old days, which wasn't really that long ago, late 90's early 2000's when I used to actually get fish at second rock on a regular basis in June. It's really grim what we've done to this fishery.

Decent fishing today out west a bit. Out from 6am to noon. Hit one right away and landed a 12 pound hatchery. Then at 8:45 a double got them both 18 and 6 pounds, both hatchery. Got one line in and it popped off and left fairly quick...sawed through the leader. Released a few small feeder springs and one nice size wild coho. Had the bait chewed on a few more times but don't know by what. 70-80 feet was the depth.

Tried the high slack bite at Otter in my yak from 4:15 to 7:15--no feed, only a few spots and dots right at the Point, no bites. Beautiful night to be on my kayak tho.
T2

Out off possession/secretary untill 9am today. We fed the seal What looked like a teenager and missed a good hit! Ended up heading back home and fishing the waterfront where we had some action but nothing to keep from sooke.

Was out off Sooke from about 1:30 till 6:00.
Had multiple strikes, but only one stuck. A nice 10lb wild spring for the BBQ.
50' deep, just off the outside point of Secretary. Trolled through there 5 or 6 times and the rods would start bouncing each time.
Peetz hook-um spoon in green and moonjelly had the majority of the hits, with 1 for anchovy and 1 for AP spoon with green & moonjelly.

upload_2017-6-22_22-47-29.png

A short 4 hr trip from 8am till noon. Landed 2 out of 4 but nothing of size...11 and 9 pounds. Also a hatch coho. Otter and Muir 60 and 70 t. Otter had lots of weed and boats fishing a small clean area of water so fished up to Muir and the water was much cleaner and less boats.

Out again today, hit 2 beauties just off beechey head.
Both wild unfortunately, one measured 86.5 cm, one was 89 cm. It was heartbreaking to have to release them and watch them swim away.

70' on the rigger, on anchovy in an orange teaser head with a dummy super betsey flasher.

Got out to secretary for a few hours tonight solo with my 12 year old son. Hit one about 15lbs right at the buzzer but really should have discussed what we were going to do if we got one on lol. Saved me cleaning fish in the dark anyways... Purple Haze white Gibbs spoon.

Finished my last exam today and thought there would be no better way to celebrate then a night tack. We headed out of cheanuh at 4pm and limited out by 8. Landed four between 10-15lbs & the biggest fish was a 20.5lb 84.5cm (measured 3 times) long beauty!

Attachments

• IMG_0322.PNG
    IMG_0322.PNG
    853.1 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_0321.PNG
    IMG_0321.PNG
    716.9 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_0329.PNG
    IMG_0329.PNG
    865.3 KB · Views: 173
Finished my last exam today and thought there would be no better way to celebrate then a night tack. We headed out of cheanuh at 4pm and limited out by 8. Landed four between 10-15lbs & the biggest fish was a 20.5lb 84.5cm (measured 3 times) long beauty!
I'm hoping to do the same tonight. Where were you, what gear were you using?

I was out yesterday early morning until around 10 was good. Got a 18 lb 84cm and a smaller one around 7lbs. Had multiple strikes so you know they are around.

Fished out in east from Obrien to the head . All fish were shallow in the water column. 40 feet the deepest. All on bait.

Back