Salmon off the yak.

Tsquared is the yakmaster for catching salmon, that's who I'm going to hit up when my wife allows it to be :D. I'm sure he'll help out. For me, I'm eyeing up a Hobie.

Ya....saw a few kayakers did well on fish off Otter Point when the tide didn't move quickly. If the tides are fast moving, pretty exhausting to paddle all the way to the base.

Northdog - where are you located? I have a hobie and can post some pics when I find them...along with electronics, rod holder etc. I just started a year ago and haven't had a ton of success.. Also - I just use a deep six or a weight and have not rigged a downrigger. I likely won't. Like fishspoon said - the tides are the biggest thing to consider if you have to cover any ground to your spot and back....

Simple is best for me. I use my touring yak for fishing at the G spot or anywhere I take myself on the west coast, been to Hakai in it (ferry drop off, that was cool) and even fished Haida Gwaii on the east side and south Brooks Peninsula. I like being closed to the weather which the sit on tops don't offer. Here is a pic of my setup, no downrigger. I mooch with a banana weight and herring or spoon or troll a chovy and kite tail flash with a 16 oz slider. Fishing deep is a frustrating problem, so I do target the slack as much as possible. No net for the biggies, just gill them.

Attachments

• IMG_20160518_085917.jpg
    IMG_20160518_085917.jpg
    308.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20160518_090020.jpg
    IMG_20160518_090020.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Back