Salmon in the dehydrator?

Alex_c

I want to try making salmon jerky/candy but I don't have a smoker. I do have an excalibur dehydrator which makes excellent beef jerky. I tried making jerky once with some pink salmon and it tasted how I imagine cat food would taste. I think I didnt use enough sugar. Anyone have a good recipe? Since it's a pink year I want to stock up on cheap protein for the winter if I can make it palatable. Frozen pink from the ocean isn't bad but I find I get sick of eating it pretty quick. I also inevitably have some leftover spring each year that I would like to deal with. Best way to preserve salmon without a smoker...?

I always use my dehydrator for my candied salmon, then just put it in the smoker after for an hour or so after it is done to impart a smokey flavour.
They work great

Might want to get a little or big chief smoker. You can google how to make a cold smoker to add to it, or just use it the way it is to impart a smoky flavour to the jerky. They aren't that pricy and will work until you get in depth with the smoking of salmon. Trying to make something palatable without the right equipment is not easy. Get a cheap smoker, you will really enjoy using it.

Oly

I always use my dehydrator for my candied salmon, then just put it in the smoker after for an hour or so after it is done to impart a smokey flavour.
They work great
@Islandgirl could you post your recipe and process?
I'm in the same boat as @Alex_c never really worked for me trying to make Salmon Jerky.
THANKS!

Back