8" Flasher as a dummy?

High Time

Crew Member
Any thoughts or comparisons on running an 8" flasher rather than an 11"as a dummy? Thinking that less drag and a smaller rotation might be a good thing and allow closer positioning of a spoon or plug above.

I have been thinking about "quieting down" my presentation lately too.... I fish in Puget Sound and in our waters there are always a bunch of boats packed in close. I wonder about running a spoon / Brad's Cut Plug / herring in a helmet / plug on their own without flashers when I'm fishing with the pack.

I'll have to wait until the opener to find out. :)

I have been thinking about "quieting down" my presentation lately too.... I fish in Puget Sound and in our waters there are always a bunch of boats packed in close. I wonder about running a spoon / Brad's Cut Plug / herring in a helmet / plug on their own without flashers when I'm fishing with the pack.

I'll have to wait until the opener to find out. :)

I have caught a lot of salmon on Tom Mack no. 5 spoons and Tomic 4 and 5 inch plugs running around 20 feet behind the downrigger wire. No flasher. Just the bare lure. I fish the Straits in the Port Angeles area.

So, if you are running a downrigger on each side of the boat, try it.

Went fishing with a guide; anchovies in helmets. In-line flasher on one side, false flasher on the other. False flasher side caught all the Chinook. You can't use the "standard" treble hook. I have been using two octopus mooching hooks on my anchovies for about 20 years now - gives a much more erratic roll than the treble; bury the front hook where you wold the treble & let the rear hook trail unburied at the tail of the bait. The in-line flasher add erratic action, but with the above technique you can use a false flasher instead.

In-line flashers will just about always catch more fish, but not being a guide I fish for pleasure not for money.

I figure, if there's already a TON of sound and lights in the water from all the other boats running the "standard" in-line flasher and lure set up, why not make things a little less noisy? I mean, we're looking for bait balls anyway. So, where there's bait, there's fish.... And if the bait and other boats are drawing in the fish, why not just run something naked close to that bait ball? The fish (in theory) are there.... Perhaps trying something "different" might just be the ticket. Perhaps a finesse approach might be advised. Especially in heavily pressured waters.

Back