Vancouver Trap Theft/Raid Insantity 2017 Thread.

Have you had traps raided and/or stolen in Vancouver area waters in 2017?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dropped two crab traps in the Point Grey area on Sunday early morning. I put zip ties on all four sides of the trap before dropping them. When came back after a day of fishing both traps were empty and zip ties were removed on both traps and only a bit of leftover bait in one trap. Previous time my traps were raided, they were dropped in 50' of water in the West Van shoreline on the weekend of April 29. Earlier this year, my traps and gear stolen in the Indian Arm area in late March, more specifically the Bedwell Bay. Dropped them in the usual spot in 75' of water on high tide and marked them on my GPS. Came back after three hours and both traps were gone.

100% correct and theives and opportunists are everywhere.

I dropped my traps this morning for my guests at 7:25 am. There was no one else around. I came back 5 hours later and found identical floats within 150' of my two traps spaced close together. The Asian name on the float was interesting---and they had NO phone number. Did they not know that dropping your trap in the middle of no where nearly in close proximity to another's traps is rude and asking for it? The thought had occurred to me that they would have pulled my traps when they pulled theirs.

Also continued on after pulling my traps aboard and found just 5 legals in 2 traps...which is abyssmal....I should have had 12 legal in those traps!

Just goes to show that in this day and age....you can count on no one but yourself....

I checked your traps before and after the Asians were around, you really did only have 5 legals.

Anyone try using downrigger braid for your crab lines? Won't stop them from being stolen but would sure make it more difficult to pull

I've had my crab traps pulled before and found them way off of my way point and i did a huge grid search and found them , sometimes it's a needle in a hay stack
especially when there's a bit of a chop out ,just saying do a thorough search, sometimes there not stolen, it's happened a few times don't give up and think right away
they got ripped off ...

Prawn traps missing/stolen off Sunset yesterday. 600 feet of line in 350ft depth and weighted traps/line.

I'm open to the idea they may have drifted (but it's unlikely) since there was 2 yellow buoys still there that were set before I dropped mine.

Steely Dan, that boat looks very familiar. I saw this guy putting around in Indian Arm in a very perculiar manner. Slow doughnuts, looking at me while i was anchored, then quickly zip away. Where did you see this guy, and did you catch him red handed?

He has caught red handed by friends of mine. He moors at sewells. My bud found his traps and weights that he made in his boat tied to the dock at sewells. Can't get any more red handed than that. They took those pics while he was pulling there gear.

He has caught red handed by friends of mine. He moors at sewells. My bud found his traps and weights that he made in his boat tied to the dock at sewells. Can't get any more red handed than that. They took those pics while he was pulling there gear.

Get the Lynchin gear out!!!!!!! Lol

Steely Dan, that boat looks very familiar. I saw this guy putting around in Indian Arm in a very perculiar manner. Slow doughnuts, looking at me while i was anchored, then quickly zip away. Where did you see this guy, and did you catch him red handed?
That's the same F@c$er that stole one of my traps up Indian arm a few years ago.

I had 2 traps stolen last September just South of the North Arm jetty. 2 Scotsmen gone. To replace everything, cost about $150.00. Definitely left bad impression around that area. Noticed a 27 or 33' Trophy boat leaving the area and kinda suspected he had my gear. I'd lose it if I catch someone in THAT act!

All the crabs are going to the people on board

Guest do not have licences and they keep all the females and undersized I bet.

Saw him out at Spanish Banks again today picking traps. Some traps might be theirs as there are a bunch that seem to be left there permanently which you are not suppose to do - no overnight traps in the bay allowed. But they are also pulling up every trap they see.

I've called DFO about this boat but obviously nothing done yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back