The Seal Lion and the Girl

guess who hasn't learned their
lesson....? apparently everyone.

Sea Lions are hugely opportunistic feeders as anybody reeling in a salmon knows when they stumble into your fishing hole.

If they see an easy hamburger, they'll take a swipe at it. When I was a commie in Kodiak, Alaska, we were waiting for a halibut opener. We were tied to the dock, getting gear ready, trying to stay out of the bars.

A guy in a boat next to us, after a few drinks, hung is arse over the side to pinch a brown trout into the harbor. A sea lion saw that bright shining moon and thought...."wow, easy hamburger!". It came out of the water just like that sea lion in the vid and grabbed him by the butt cheeks and pulled him backwards off the gunnel into the harbor. His buddies heard him wailing and they fished him out---trip to the emergency room for stitches and a tetanus shot.

I had one come out of the water and onto the beach and take a swipe at my dog last summer. I had him in the corner of my eye as I saw he'd been eyeing the dog---glad I did because I was waiting with a log when he came onto the beach and swinging it over head made him reconsider his move.

I give those things a wide berth. I worked as a foreign fisheries observer on Japanese trawlers up in the Bering Sea in the late 70's to get credit towards my Fisheries degree at the UW. The boat was trawling for turbot and black cod out on the Aleutian Chain. One morning, two sea lions came up onto the deck trapped in the cod end.

When they got out, they re-defined the word pissed off. They took one look at me (in my yellow helmet and rain gear) and charged me like a couple of bulls. I scrambled up a ladder welded to one of the smoke stacks with both of them snapping at my heels. I kicked one in the snout and they finally backed off and went after one of the snickering Japanese deck hands instead.

That little girl was lucky to make it out of the drink as fast as she did---surprised I didn't see red stains starting to seep through her dress....

Was baiting a couple of traps yesterday for guests and a harbour seal was snapping at the edge of the dock....and a few weeks ago a hungry otter very stealthily snuck out of the water and grabbed a high teens Chinook mid dock from a fellow guide and by the time anyone saw it....it was too late to do anything.

Animals are survivors. Humans provide easy lunch.

'Unbelievable': Dozens swarm dock where sea lion grabbed girl, despite warnings
Tourists and locals clamber for a look at now 'infamous' animal, harbour authority says
CBC News Posted: May 22, 2017 4:17 PM PT Last Updated: May 22, 2017 4:20 PM PT

steveston-sea-lion.jpg

Children stood at the front of the crowd to watch the sea lion as it swam up and down the dock's edge. (Christer Waara/CBC)

On Saturday, a girl was yanked off a dock in Richmond, B.C. by a California sea lion. Moments before, her family had thrown bread to the animal.

Video of the incident has been viewed more than 14 million times. Marine experts and port officials have sent out a slew of warnings, reminding the public to keep a safe distance from the animals.

However, many near the area seem to be doing just the opposite.

On Monday, the Steveston Fisherman's Wharf was packed with cellphone-wielding tourists and locals trying to catch a glimpse of the celebrity sea lion. Children leaned over the dock's edge, craning for a look.

steveston-sea-lion.jpg

Those on the wharf told CBC News they felt safe so long as they kept their distance. (Christer Waara/CBC)

Bob Baziuk, general manager for Steveston Harbour Authority, said he's flabbergasted.

"Unbelievably, last night there were about 100 people down there, mostly tourists, maybe some of them locals, picking up their kids and holding them over the water looking for the infamous sea lion," he told CBC News on Monday.

"Sometimes you gotta give your head a shake," he added. "Steveston's going to become synonymous with the 'Jaws' theme pretty soon. You have a hungry animal and these people are dumb enough to feed it."

One tourist at the dock on Monday told the CBC she and her grandchildren had come down to the wharf with hopes of seeing the animal.

"We've come to see the sights and we heard about the big sea lion," the Ontario woman said, adding she hadn't seen the viral video first hand.

Male California sea lions weigh more than 270 kilograms and can swim at speeds of up to 40 km/h. When sitting on land, they're about 1.8 metres (6 feet) tall.

Bacteria in the animals' mouths "can cause very serious infections that may lead to amputation of a limb or even death."

Experts with the Vancouver Aquarium have warned that the animals could "absolutely jump up" on a dock if they want to.

"We need to make sure we're giving these animals the space they need ... don't habituate them. Let them be wild animals," said Danielle Hyson, a marine mammal trainer.

sea-lion-steveston.jpg

The sea lion seemed unbothered by all the attention. (Christer Waara/CBC)

New signs appeared on the dock Saturday, warning people not to feed the sea lions. The posters say the maximum penalty for "disturbing" a marine mammal is $100,000.

Baziuk said the authority is looking at printing signs in more languages — such as Mandarin and Cantonese — to ensure tourists understand. Posters with a universal image are also being considered.

Still, he's frustrated things have gotten this far.

DAX8o3uU0AAFaYT.jpg:small

"I could put a massive sign up in every language, but to me it's the element of common sense."

"With all of this that's happened, I want to take advantage of the media coverage to get the message out there: For crying out loud, use common sense when you're around creatures and the water in general — respect it."

I think it tried to eat her, I think it will keep attacking people. I think these animals are learning that people are food.

We must protect the tourists and people on those docks buying fish. These things are like wolves and those people are caribou. They won't stop until they are all gone. There are hundreds of them on the south arm of the river.
They chase my boat, I have to drive fast.

The government must step in and act now!
Time for a cull....

Seriously I am glad she is okay, the old guy was pretty freaking quick. That would have been pretty effing scary.
What a dumb butt. Stay in your living room where you are safe. If anything is overpopulated and needs a cull its probably You.

There are no limits to suburbanites levels of stupidity when it comes to wild animals. This:
steveston-sea-lion.jpg

Too many people brainwashed by too many cartoons of animals and "cuteness". Its only a matter of time until someone is killed by one. The only wild animal that should be "petted" is the one hanging on the wall.

Hope DFO laid charges. Nothing will change till tickets are handed out. Stupid people putting stuff on FB so easy to be tracked down. Seals are so trainable, and now that seal will be cruising docks looking for hand outs, want to see a seal go to the aquarium

i see it all the time , seen a few ambushes on seagulls , plucked right off the water , no idea what hit them ,
worst , seen a huge male try to take a small dog waving his tail close to the edge !!
if the owner didnt have him on a leash , would have been crab bait..i had a good chuckle , but i belive the mutt and owner were in therapy for a while .
careful with these guys , when ther hungry , they do what they gotta do
glad the kid is alright , hella a story for her to share at the campfire someday !!

fd

Part I don't get is, a scavenger in the river grabs a kid off the dock and no real consequences yet a guy gets thumped by a bear with a cub in the forest and theres a man hunt on to find this bad bear??
These are not native beasts to our river, they have been lured in by poor practice of the commercial fishing fleet and the tourists on the docks and really no different than garbage dump bears IMO

One day last year after hiking the grind we watched a asian guy reach over the fence to touch one of the grizzlies up there.........I can only assume Darwin has too much on his plate right now......

.I can only assume Darwin has too much on his plate right now......
That is the problem with your society we keep saving the dump ones. Lol

Back