Leaded Prawn Line Size

Red Monster

My new Scotty puller is for use with 1/4" or 3/8" rope. I would think the 1/4" is too small, but what size rope would most people be using with a puller to bring in two traps at a time? Thanks.

I don't think the thickness would matter on the Scotty pulled as much as it would for the ace line hauler hands free. But anyways, I use 400' of 5/16" leaded line from army and navy. I think I will get 500' next time around

My new Scotty puller is for use with 1/4" or 3/8" rope. I would think the 1/4" is too small, but what size rope would most people be using with a puller to bring in two traps at a time? Thanks.
Everyone I have ever prawned with has used 5/16 rope. It is plenty strong enough and you could still pull the traps by hand if you had puller issues. Heavier rope would also have more drag on it requiring larger floats and maybe extra weight on the traps to stop movement.

...Rob

The Scotty doesn't care what size rope you use as long as it's not too thick to go through the pulley wheel. I run lot's of weight on my trap lines and the Scotty hauls it without any struggle. If you want easier hauling without putting any hand pull on the line at all just wrap the line around the drum a couple times instead of once.

The Scotty doesn't care what size rope you use as long as it's not too thick to go through the pulley wheel. I run lot's of weight on my trap lines and the Scotty hauls it without any struggle. If you want easier hauling without putting any hand pull on the line at all just wrap the line around the drum a couple times instead of once.
Same i wrap twice ..ounce is when it's winter and freezing out in the open boat and i need to warm up ...

Excellent. I've only ever used muscle power. Thanks for the great advise!

Back