How young is too young to keep fish?

Tell that to the dfo who was going to write a ticket to me. Took my boy out walking for crabs he proceeded to point out crabs and carry the bucket the only thing he didn't do was measure and pick up. He even walked about a mile in chest waders. Got back to the beach and mr dfo was there ready to write a ticket, cause he was sitting there watching us through a high power spotting scope and observed him not physically touching a crab, and could distinguish between his and my crab. I happen to talk my way down to a warning.

Well at least the enforcement officer saw the 'light' and in the end did the right thing there [no ticket].

Now if your boy had been 50' away playing with bullheads in a tide pool while you picked up 8 crabs that would be a bit tougher to talk your way down.

one of the best days i had , couple of years ago ,took out 3 boys , all around 10-11 ,
fishin was pretty decent just outside the nook , mostly coho between 6-12 lbs ,
i put on a 8 am jr fishin derby , all i did was supply 10-12 go to set-ups in a tub ,
all they had to do was pick which they fancied , change them out if desired , each had there own downrigger and rod,
i sent there gear down , they did the rest , including them netting and lifting fish into the boat ,
$ 100 GEAR LATER , AND A FEW INSANE TANGLES lol... so worth the laughs ,
we were into well over 12 fish in 3 hours , flat calm , sunny and warm , ive had some pretty stellar days out
there with some pretty dialed in guys on board , but this was one of my all time epic days , there parents still thank us all the time ,
there HOOKED , when not out on the pond , there usually not far on the docks , fishin shiners , herring , bullheads...

fd

Last edited:
IMG_0211.PNG If my kid (4) needs a license to bonk a fish, I will get him one, I won't get him one just so I can record a catch on it. Not that I think it is wrong it's because I don't need that many fish. If I get my limit I feel lucky.
Perhaps in a year or 2 where he might get more involved and wants me to mark it on his card so he can beat his dad then perfect, unlikely I will ever come home with both our limits.
As well as having priceless family time out there, it is a education and if marking their card gives them a sense of pride then so be it.

What a great opportunity to teach a child about conservation and that you don't have to take all you can. I have found keeping a few to show off to mom is a thrill, but so is letting a healthy fish slip from ones hands and swim off.

Back