Gmc 1500 max tow

dmurph

Just curious if anyone has any experience towing and hauling with a newer sierra or silverado 1500 max tow. Has the oil coolers full disk brakes a extra leaf I believe and the 372 gears. Now that my diesel blew up thinking to down size if possible. My boat is most likely 10 000 lbs but only tow a couple times a year. Also Have a camper around 1800 pounds we use a little. Would put air bags in the truck to help but may also just sell the camper. I know I will be maxed out on towing and payload but for the couple times I do it? Any opinions would be helpful

Hi Dave, not sure what year you're looking at, but I found this for their 2015 models. I know you will choose 4x4, and I assume you will choose Crew Cab with the family needs. As such for 4x4's;

Crew Cab, 5’ 8” box w/ Max Trailering Package
10,900 lbs. / 4,944 kg. – 5.3L (3.73 axle)
11,800 lbs. / 5,352 kg. – 6.2L (3.42 axle)

Crew Cab, 6’ 6” box w/ Max Trailering Package
10,800 lbs. / 5,352 kg. – 5.3L (3.73 axle)
11,700 lbs. / 5,307 kg. – 6.2L (3.42 axle)

GM's ratings for 2015 assume driver and passenger in vehicle and 70 pounds of hitch equipment.

If you have the 3.73 rear end it looks like you're stuck with the 5.3L. Good engine. Good econ. 10,800 to 10,900 max with that configuration depending on box length.

You won't be able to use your camper with the 5'8" box and you'd be seriously overloading the 1500 class with an 1800 pound camper anyways. Max Payload 2040 pounds w/ 6'6" box and Max Payload of 2090 w/ 5'8" box. With that you need to take into account your passengers, fuel for truck, and anything else in the truck or the camper. You'll for sure be overloaded and the inspectors will take you off the road with or without airbags. Worse your insurance won't be valid if anything happens and you're overloaded.

I think if you plan to tow much, and you plan to keep the camper, you need to get into a 2500. You could find a 2500 gasser if you're not towing much. It will handle your camper and it will tow your rig without the white knuckle experience of the 1500 at it's max capacity.

B.

BCI, you sound very knowledgeable, but is this really true?

"Worse your insurance won't be valid if anything happens and you're overloaded."

BCI, you sound very knowledgeable, but is this really true?

"Worse your insurance won't be valid if anything happens and you're overloaded."

Good catch - I'm being presumptuous there. Every territory is going to be different, so I shouldn't say it's an absolute. I would say that my experience with insurance companies is they're happy to cash your premium checks, and they are loathe to pay out coverages.

Insurance companies are always looking for reasons to deny coverage and keep their profits. Remember that a truck is designed for it's rated capacities with appropriate front and rear springs, tire ratings, and brake size for those loads. Go over those loads and you're on your own. I wouldn't want to find out the hard way what happens if you overload the design parameters and you end up being 'at fault' in a serious collision. A minor rear ender probably nobody cares. You kill someone, and you're open to be liable for putting something on the road that isn't safe to stop in time or handle appropriately.

I just did a quick search and found the following in BC and Ontario message boards. Granted some are related to towing, and some are for payload, but it all shakes out the same for capacities of the tires, axles, brakes, etc;

PASTE 1;

if you are overweight and get into a wreck, and the accident investigation determines you were overweight, your insurance company can (and probably will) default your policy, which means you're not insured. If you just hit the ditch, you might only have to replace your vehicle. If you are involved with another vehicle and injure (or god forbid - kill..) someone, you can probably expect to lose a lot more.

Its not worth it. Find a suitable vehicle.

PASTE 2;

There is lots of chatter like this on RV forums (where tow limits are regularly tested)
Exceed the tow rating, tire or axle ratings, gvwr or gcwr and you're leaving yourself open to be screwed.
Likewise the mods, sure they make it safer but don't change any of the numbers above so you're still screwed. They will also get you for undeclared mods.
Stay within your official rated limits (and prove it with a slip from a certified scale)

Cheers

PASTE 3;

In my experience an insurance company will look for any out they have available to delay or decline payment. Towing a load higher than the capacity of the truck is a huge opportunity for them to do this. As for the upgrades, that may give them the opportunity to claim you modified the vehicle and did not inform them. This would also give them something to take issue with.

BCI is totally right in everything he was saying. I already knew the risks. Was all set to buy a 2016 sierra 2500hd yesterday. Was originally trying to get the truck sent up to squamish greg gardner gm. The truck was at Barnes and wheaton, they wouldn't release it to squamish. We then set everything up and drove 2 hrs to barnes and wheaton, met them discussed and test drove the truck. Went to sign the paper work and the manger comes and says I am so sorry folks a guy just put a deposit on the truck while you were test driving. Tried to sell us a more expensive truck. I get preferred pricing through work and think they didn't want to sell at a discount. Such a slimy move to get us to drive all the way there test drive the full deal. My friend emailed later and they said tge truck was available. Lying pieces of **** at that dealer. Actually the sales man we dealt with seemed legit and sincere but the higher ups who run the scams are real pieces of work. Ordered a 2017 sierra 2500hd through greg gardner gm and they have been awasome to deal with. Heads up on the barnes dealer in North surrey

BCI is totally right in everything he was saying. I already knew the risks. Was all set to buy a 2016 sierra 2500hd yesterday. Was originally trying to get the truck sent up to squamish greg gardner gm. The truck was at Barnes and wheaton, they wouldn't release it to squamish. We then set everything up and drove 2 hrs to barnes and wheaton, met them discussed and test drove the truck. Went to sign the paper work and the manger comes and says I am so sorry folks a guy just put a deposit on the truck while you were test driving. Tried to sell us a more expensive truck. I get preferred pricing through work and think they didn't want to sell at a discount. Such a slimy move to get us to drive all the way there test drive the full deal. My friend emailed later and they said tge truck was available. Lying pieces of **** at that dealer. Actually the sales man we dealt with seemed legit and sincere but the higher ups who run the scams are real pieces of work. Ordered a 2017 sierra 2500hd through greg gardner gm and they have been awasome to deal with. Heads up on the barnes dealer in North surrey
Sad but so true. Such a pain in the butt these days to buy a new vehicle. It has become such a headache and to stomach the BS you have to listen to and go through makes me sick. Good luck with your new truck dmurph

You won't regret getting a 3/4 ton over the 1/2 ton......good decision IMO. ;) Too bad about the painful process to get it however.

i tow with a 1500, that ive transformed into a 1500hd....
2500 semi float axle 3.73 lockers and 3/4t brakes
2500 rear leafs. built up tranny and coolers..
bigger front brakes

it handles the camper and 6000lbs of boat and trailer better, but legally its just a 1500

wish i had a 2500hd

"Us" dealers aren't bad people at all!!

37+ years in the business of corporate leasing and sales, I love dealing with my clients.....would never deal with retail people though!!

If anyone ever has any questions, let me know....I am not known by a lot of you, but have either done business with, or helped many others with dealing with dealers!

i tow with a 1500, that ive transformed into a 1500hd....
2500 semi float axle 3.73 lockers and 3/4t brakes
2500 rear leafs. built up tranny and coolers..
bigger front brakes

it handles the camper and 6000lbs of boat and trailer better, but legally its just a 1500

wish i had a 2500hd

Did a 77 F250 4x4 std, built a 460 for it and lifted it about 6". Had to get if finished to show up at yvr for my new job and body was crap so bought a decent body 73 f100. That's what it was registered as lol, sure was a pain to drive across the Putella!

Back