2017 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Fished Thrasher yesterday and pretty crazy double headers etc. of just legal or smaller. I changed it up and managed an 18lb which turned out to be a white,had I known I would have released it and kept a 12lb legal red. I measued a herring in the bigger fish to be almost 8 inches long , caught the bigger one at 150 feet deep and big chovie.

One good thing hipsters have done in this world is they have driven up the price of white salmon to more than red in places. Tales of rarity and names like "Ivory King Salmon" will do the trick with these complete doofuses'.

Personally the only thing I don't like is the colour.

The days of people filling their freezers seem to be slowly dissapearing, take what you need. I would like to see fisheries crack down on these guys with 2 year old kids on board keeping extra fish. I thought the kid had to be capable of reeling it in?

All due respect, but that's BS buddy.

You think anyone is going to their local kindergarten and recruiting extra limits?

Would the DFO have a competency test they would apply to my kid? Since my wife can hardly hold a rod/reel does she not count? Get a grip.

The days of people filling their freezers seem to be slowly dissapearing, take what you need. I would like to see fisheries crack down on these guys with 2 year old kids on board keeping extra fish. I thought the kid had to be capable of reeling it in?
I AGEE!

with all due respect.....;)

I gave it the respect it deserves

All I'm saying is it's a little hard to have that line of thinking when the rec saltwater guys have the impact they do. Which is near nothing compared to the nets getting strung across our rivers in the fall.

That and the small issue of competence being able to be policed.

Guys with young kids probably get out fishing way less than others, so if they want to bring their kids and take home a few more on those 2 or 3 times a year they get out, i see no problem with that. Over the year they still probably take less than the guys that are out on weekdays.

All due respect, but that's BS buddy.

You think anyone is going to their local kindergarten and recruiting extra limits?

Would the DFO have a competency test they would apply to my kid? Since my wife can hardly hold a rod/reel does she not count? Get a grip.

Your wife buys a license and as an adult enjoys the experience regardless if able to reel in a fish, but a one year old likely does not.

Tomorrow's weather forecast looks insanely gorgeous! Trying to decide between the Bell and S. Bowen....choices....choices...

I may do the crossing tomorrow, I'll see when I leave the north arm. There is plenty of fish locally though.

I may do the crossing tomorrow, I'll see when I leave the north arm. There is plenty of fish locally though.[/QUOTE

Yesterday there were only a couple of boats at Hump when I went by , most everyone was at Thrasher. I'll give Hump a try anyway as I have a feeling its going to be a bit bumpy .

Your wife buys a license and as an adult enjoys the experience regardless if able to reel in a fish, but a one year old likely does not.
I beg to differ, maybe ask @dmurph if his son doesnt enjoy it or take his limit when opportunity arises, I bet he has more hours logged on the water than most adults here and loving it

I'm crossing tomorrow AM. Waves shouldn't be too bad as the tide won't be ripping and only 5-15 winds. Hopefully i'll see some of you out there! toss me a wave i'll be in the old 25ft. Bertram. Hull has a red line wrapped around the bottom

Kids under 16 still needs a salt water license(free) but if keeping salmon will need to buy a salmon conservation stamp which is about $6.

I have a 1 and half year old. I bought a new boat. You guys are fishing. I am struggling for time to get the boat rigged out. Havent got out once this year. Hurts to read the reports. My Dad always brought me out as a kid. Loved being out there. A kids liscence and limit to put some fish in freezer to feed your family. I think you should take that statement back. Cant wait to see my kid reel in his first fish.

If anyone needs to feed their family they might want to reconsider salmon fishing as the way to do it. When I had my kid out fisheries told me he had to be able to reel in the fish to keep it ,maybe the rules have changed.

Fished Thrasher yesterday and pretty crazy double headers etc. of just legal or smaller. I changed it up and managed an 18lb which turned out to be a white,had I known I would have released it and kept a 12lb legal red. I measued a herring in the bigger fish to be almost 8 inches long , caught the bigger one at 150 feet deep and big chovie.
White springs aren't as good table fare as a 12lb spring, but their way better smoked than any red spring in my opinion.

I have a 1 and half year old. I bought a new boat. You guys are fishing. I am struggling for time to get the boat rigged out. Havent got out once this year. Hurts to read the reports. My Dad always brought me out as a kid. Loved being out there. A kids liscence and limit to put some fish in freezer to feed your family. I think you should take that statement back. Cant wait to see my kid reel in his first fish.
My dad wouldn't take me out until I could tie my own shoe's and wipe the snot from my own nose and reel in my own fish, and once I could do that I never stay home when he went fishing and have many fond memories of those trips in fresh and briny water! And he wears the blame for my addiction.

If anyone needs to feed their family they might want to reconsider salmon fishing as the way to do it. When I had my kid out fisheries told me he had to be able to reel in the fish to keep it ,maybe the rules have changed.
I think if it was about feeding the family would be better off just buying the fish instead of spending 10's of thousands on boats gear etc. About time well spent with family. Give your head a shake. Prob dont have kids. Whatever. Shouldnt expect more from a online forum.

That fisheries officer is mixing up his opinion with the regulations.
It's perfectly acceptable for people to catch fish they aren't capable of landing without help, whether they are handicapped, elderly, very small or very weak.
Not too mention the fact that they sell salmon tags, you can't sell it and then arbitrarily decide it isn't valid.

Back