weed wacker repair ?

scott craven

Bought a new one last year (Homelight) and it worked fine when I put it away for the winter.
5 months later, it will start and run only when continuously primed.
If you stop pumping the bulb it dies.
gummed up carb ? repair ideas ?

Thanks,

Yup probably. In all my small motor equip I run the 94 octane cause the lower octane gas will do that after only a short while. Try draining the gas, and put some high octane in it. May take a bit to fire it but once it does it should be good to go. If that doesn't work you may have to flush the carb. I also put fuel stabilizer in all the small motors over fall/winter. But if you leave fuel with fuel stabilizer in it for more than about 5 months they can gel up the fuel too.

Try a shot of sea foam.

X2 Try a shot of sea foam.

Scott,

Sea foam is definitely worth a shot but if it that doesn't work the carb will have to come off, be disassembled, cleaned and reassembled. If the gasket gets torn you will need to make or get a new one. The jets on those little engines are so tiny a microscopic speck will stop those from running, or maybe the float is just stuck. Anyway good luck!

GnB

Hey Scott. If you do not getting running let me know. My neighbor is a small motor whizz. He is always fixing lawnmowers and weed eaters that have last years fuel in them...

Ethanol fuel gums up the orifices as they are tiny like smaller than a #60 drill bit. After messing around for a couple hours last one just bought a new chinese carb for around $20 and it ran fine. Sea foam worth a try, blowing air, carb clean, poking orifices you can see with wire or drill bits worth a try.
Watch the spark arrester as well, can plug up and be removed and be cleaned however that will create an engine that idles and does not rev up to full rpm.

What was the issue?

I'm about ready to toss my old gas one and pick up a Milwaukee electric trimmer. I have a bunch of high capacity milwaukee batteries already for my hand tools, now that they have a line of yard tools I might go pick up the Milwaukee trimmer and maybe the leaf blower.

My gas one the clear plastic fuel line rotten causing air and not priming. anyone know where to get 1/8 fuel line other than China

Mine did that. Before ripping it apart, blast the carb with carb cleaner and remove the crud from the spark arrestor.

my guess would be diaphram also... or gummed up carb.

Back