Pic of commercial fleet in Barkley sound

Heavyc

I'm hoping someone here can help me out. I'm trying to find that aerial shot of all the commercial boats setting their nats in Barkley sound fishing for sockeye from years back. For some reason my googling isn't yielding positive results.

I believe it was "Islandgirl" A member of this forum that posted that pic. Try to pm her.;) eman

Last edited:
they wont be there this year!! it is unreal how plugged even the entrance to bam gets during this fishery, crossing trevor channel is a nightmare! watching the most unmanouverable Francis Barkley try and get in was ridiculous!

[
URL=http://s213.photobucket.com/user/Busterbrown_08/media/91SnFisheryChinaCr_zpsueoktqca.jpeg.html]
91SnFisheryChinaCr_zpsueoktqca.jpeg
[/URL]

This might be the one ???

And they wonder why there's no fish returning. It's like that all the way from Bamfield to the river.

DFO management at its finest...
sad and shameful.

Last edited:
Its a real shame the way our government manages our fisheries, but its nothing new. Its been happening since the Europeans settled in North America. The fur trade, logging, our clean water supply, crude oil, our fisheries, you name it. Its the same all across the board. Farm the **** out of it until extinction. All to make pennies on the dollar from our irreplaceable resources, at the cost of the people who actually live here.

I would be perfectly willing to go to non-retention for all species for as long as it takes to get the fish stocks to rebound, but theres no chance in hell of that happening. Not when theres money to be made!

Its a real shame the way our government manages our fisheries, but its nothing new. Its been happening since the Europeans settled in North America. The fur trade, logging, our clean water supply, crude oil, our fisheries, you name it. Its the same all across the board. Farm the **** out of it until extinction. All to make pennies on the dollar from our irreplaceable resources, at the cost of the people who actually live here.

I would be perfectly willing to go to non-retention for all species for as long as it takes to get the fish stocks to rebound, but theres no chance in hell of that happening. Not when theres money to be made!

I just don't believe the sport boys in the salt could have a large impact.

I hate seeing nets though. They are putrid things.

I can remember traveling down the inlet in the early 70's with my dad to our cabin and there were nets spanning the entire inlet from side to side, 3 or 4 nets deep as we had to weave our way through them.

I wonder what happened to all those incredible Nahmint fish that were so big?

The #1 thing that you have to remember about the DFO is they don't manage fish, they sell fish, thats their mandate! Unfortunately. I used to put in a lot of time as a volunteer with salmon enhancement until I realized that all they were doing was HUCK FINNING US. Come on help paint the fence for free it's a lot fun and it will make you feel good when you see what your effort has accomplished. Well all that we accomplished was to make fish for the commercial fishery with free labour. Can honestly say never saw to many commercial fishermen helping out!

Hate to be the one but...

In a place like the inside of Barkley, where there is little mixing of stocks, once the optimum escapement has been put on the gravel, best management practice is to remove the rest.
Terminal fisheries are good management practice when used correctly.
I do not particularly like seiners, I believe in 'mosquito' fleet fisheries.

Now, go screw up the gravel, or the water/oxygen going over the gravel, you will have long term problems that can wipe out that run.

Now, go screw up the gravel, or the water/oxygen going over the gravel, you will have long term problems that can wipe out that run.

I'd say based on past logging practice, it's the logging in that photo that probably had a bigger impact on the salmon.

The second they enter the river the natives scoop anything that's left, white man has one day of fishing so what?

never enough fish ever, Heard this same bs for the last 30 years

Blame the commercial fishermen fist, Then the natives, never the sports fishermen they support the economy bla bla bla.

It was a sockeye fishery u all making a big deal over nothing

Hate to be the one but...

In a place like the inside of Barkley, where there is little mixing of stocks, once the optimum escapement has been put on the gravel, best management practice is to remove the rest.
Terminal fisheries are good management practice when used correctly.
I do not particularly like seiners, I believe in 'mosquito' fleet fisheries.

^^^^ bang on...

This was Powell River in the early 80's last time the herring fishery visited our area and has not been once since. They sure know how to screw everything up. Take all the feed fish and then wonder why numbers drop for the inside fisheries.

Back