Installing Auxiliary Fuel/Water Filters

Unclebud

Looking for comments on installing extra fuel/water filters on my Kingfisher. I have 2-200 hp Verados main engines.
Any suggestions or ideas on where to install. Outside transom?

mine are outside transom, in view. i think its done this way so you can see the water in the separator. i believe it is also done like this to minimize any vapour below deck.

I have always seen them mounted where they are fairly safe from being impacted & damaged. Down here in the good ole USA I wound consult the ABYC standards. Your Coast guard should have some info on this subject.

Thanks for the info! Don't believe I have room below fish box, and would like to stay away from electrical if possible.
Bones do you have photos as to how yours are rigged?

sorry not a great pic, but just a basic install. you can buy a thru hull fuel fitting. install one for ea. motor.

Attachments

• WP_20140626_004.jpg
    WP_20140626_004.jpg
    295.5 KB · Views: 63
i going to it this afternoon and could take better photo, pretty basic tho. mine are level on the trailer but not in the water, so bugs me.

mine are inside just above the pod passthrough , most likely in the stock position.. when i re-do the fuel system next season they will out-boarded, yours would most likely go centered to the twins right behind the fish box, but it is impossible from what i can tell to get a nut and bolt set up.. i may get a tab welded on to do so. you will most likely have to do the same if you want them out-boarded. hope that helps . lol

Thanks, bones and no more photos are needed. I think trophywife had a good idea.
I will post a few photos when the jobs done!

I have mine mounted on the outside of the transom which can access from the cockpit as well as the pod

i going to it this afternoon and could take better photo, pretty basic tho. mine are level on the trailer but not in the water, so bugs me.

I intentionally made mine not level with the drain as the lowest point, so I can see the water in the bowl more easily when it's just a drop and drain just the water better. :)

I don't like having the fuel system or anything exposed to water and UV but it is good that the bowl inspection is so easy. It's also ugly on the transom but I'll take ugly and works over pretty and doesn't work any day.

I mounted my separator on a piece of black starboard away from the wall so it is much easier to change the filter ie you can get your fingers around the entire filter. It makes cross threading the filter like my second to last moron mechanic did less likely too. I highly recommend the starboard spacer option !

Don't use 90deg fittings (more pressure loss and Mercury already recommends NO extra filters) and use the proper paste sealant, not tape on the fittings.

I wasn't aware of Merc recommending no extra filters! Wondering if this voids warranty? I must research!!
Thanks for the info mbowers!

Back