Hoochies

As ReelSlim said, you can order direct from tomic. Theyre based in Gold River and usually ship the next day. Its a bit pricey if youre just ordering one plug though; itll probably end up costing you almost 30 bucks. Your best bet would be trying the local tackle shops first but it can be tough to find the "good" colors.

As ReelSlim said, you can order direct from tomic. Theyre based in Gold River and usually ship the next day. Its a bit pricey if youre just ordering one plug though; itll probably end up costing you almost 30 bucks. Your best bet would be trying the local tackle shops first but it can be tough to find the "good" colors.

BUT, if you order up to $100, they ship for free. PLUS, they'll throw in a plug or two as a sweetener. Besides, they're super nice to chat with and they have a lot of experience in which colors are most popular in your waters. Plus, if you don't see a color that's exactly what you're looking for, they can customize it for you too! Another perk of talking to them directly.

I haven't purchased plugs in a while but I would highly recommend you talking to the girls at Tomic directly. They definitely make a great great product.

Anyone using the silver horde ace hi fly hootchy behind a flasher?

https://nebula.wsimg.com/03acbef1e2...5F961DE90CE135789&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

Interested to know about the riggng method, hook size, leader lenght, etc. their website doesn't seem to have any info on these squid flies besides the usual product description. ThX.

There was a thread a while ago about it: It was short and a little off topic, but here it is with colour suggestions and a 3-3.5ft foot leader
http://sportfishingbc.com/forum/index.php?threads/light-jensen-flash-flys.65282/#post-818154
I'm interested in trying one out too, but I'm out of tacklebox room :D

Anyone using the silver horde ace hi fly hootchy behind a flasher?

https://nebula.wsimg.com/03acbef1e2...5F961DE90CE135789&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

Interested to know about the riggng method, hook size, leader lenght, etc. their website doesn't seem to have any info on these squid flies besides the usual product description. ThX.

I have rigged them the same way as a regular hoochie. I like a single siwash and swivel but some prefer tandem singles. I have to admit they do look pretty nice but I find they don't stand up as well as a rubber hoochie on busy offshore days when the Coho or Pinks are a problem....IMO

Plain white has worked well locally but they're all good colours.
Thanks guys. I was able to find this article online:
http://salmonuniversity.com/archives/722

The article talks about adding a small blade in front of the fly when fishing for winter chinooks.
"we often (primarily for fall Coho and winter Blackmouth) will add either a spinner blade or Spin and Glo above the fly."

I've added S&Gs to my hoochies but have never rigged them with spinner blades. What are your guys' thoughts on that?

Last edited:
I've added S&Gs to my hoochies but have never rigged them with spinner blades. What are your guys' thoughts on that?

I can't see it hurting. With the S&G compared to spinner blades, I'd see the S&G as a more subtle presentation while the spinner blades would be more action and pronounced. Since salmon use multiple senses when tracking bait, I can see the vibration, noise and agitation helping to draw fish in from a distance.

I haven't done it but something new to consider for the repertoire.

Sorting out the hoochie stash. Hmmm. Found some I did not know I had!

Picking a few colors to tie up for Chinook season.

DSCN5642.jpg

Last edited:
How many tries to you give a hoochie before you lose faith in the colour and move on to a different one?
Along the same lines, how long in the water until you swap out for a different colour?

How many tries to you give a hoochie before you lose faith in the colour and move on to a different one?
Along the same lines, how long in the water until you swap out for a different colour?

I've tried these two the last couple years and had high hopes for them but they never seemed to produce more than the old faithful for me in the Parksville area so they've been benched

Attachments

• IMG_1221.JPG
    IMG_1221.JPG
    489.2 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_1220.JPG
    IMG_1220.JPG
    515.6 KB · Views: 134

When the water and/or light conditions change or bait changes I change.

I fish 4-6 lines...I usually put down whatever was working best the day before with a bit of an assortment. I have been known to swap everything over to a particular combo or colour if I notice them keying in on something particular.

I usually go on what I observe. I sometimes mix and match spoons and put down a couple Hoochies and if they're on Hoochies....they're on them.

I use the hoochies that people recommend to me. fishermen, or reputable store clerks, hopefully both. Army trucks, spacklebacks, whites, green and white, yellow and green, planktons. I just try to figure out where and when. It's funny how some patterns work better as a hooch than a spoon, and vice versa. Hey, Ryan A. I have to wonder who recommended those ones!

"Usually, when the hoochie blends in with the color of the water, the right choice has been made." pages 77-78 Bucktails and Hoochies by Bruce Cosgrove and Jack Gaunt. Gaunt was a commercial troller and invented the Hot Spot flasher.
He points out that there may be a layer of darker or clearer water at the fishing depth, so experimenting makes sense.

"Usually, when the hoochie blends in with the color of the water, the right choice has been made." pages 77-78 Bucktails and Hoochies by Bruce Cosgrove and Jack Gaunt. Gaunt was a commercial troller and invented the Hot Spot flasher.
He points out that there may be a layer of darker or clearer water at the fishing depth, so experimenting makes sense.

Yep. I generally have ten or so different colors tied up from dark to light haze and ready to change out if my first choice is not doing the job.

However, the 'ol no. 60 has been around a long time, produces, and is generally my first use.

upload_2017-5-1_7-45-48.png

I use a snap for quick changes:

upload_2017-5-1_7-47-38.png

PA guy, I am in PA also. Been fishing this area since 1978.

I have hundreds of Tomics in my collection.

Years ago they were common in the PA junk shops but have dried up.

I have purchased new direct from Tomic, from Seattle Marine in Ballard (you may order online, just received some 6 inch Tubbys from them) and I have found a few at the tackle shop at the Point Defiance Marina.

Lots on ebay.

The drawer below is 8 inches deep.

View attachment 32639

View attachment 32640

View attachment 32641

Speaking of Hoochies:

View attachment 32642
View attachment 32643

ry%3D400
PA guy, I am in PA also. Been fishing this area since 1978.

I have hundreds of Tomics in my collection.

Years ago they were common in the PA junk shops but have dried up.

I have purchased new direct from Tomic, from Seattle Marine in Ballard (you may order online, just received some 6 inch Tubbys from them) and I have found a few at the tackle shop at the Point Defiance Marina.

Lots on ebay.

The drawer below is 8 inches deep.

View attachment 32639

View attachment 32640

View attachment 32641

Speaking of Hoochies:

View attachment 32642
View attachment 32643

ry%3D400
Disappointed that this great collection is in a Craftsmans tool box. It warrants Snapon

Back