2017 Oufitter's Halibut derby

Just came from Outfitters. We weighed in 3 all at 25lbs. First and second were both right around 70lbs.
Their Facebook page has tons of photo's

I was out there today and did not get a thing.....I didn't see anyone around me get anything. But a heard that a 72.1 was in the lead. NICE FISH....

Why would anyone knowingly try and weigh in an oversize fish? I'm guessing anything that was deemed oversize was the result of a screwed up measurement by the guy that caught it. I guess it all comes down to by how much were the fish over! Hard to believe anything even close wasn't checked and rechecked prior to entering it. Then again .......

constantly seeing derbies with illegal fish, disappointing really.

So everyone here can be 100% sure that their halibut isn't 1 cm over the limit while it is in the water? I'm sure these fish were so close to 133cm that you wouldn't be sure unless it was layed flat on a board that had a 133cm section for it to fit into. If someone brought in fish 3-4 inches over yes then shame but no one has said this was the case. It would be embarrasing regardless to be refused at the scale even if it came down to being a hair's width over.

Enjoyed the weekend in Victoria fishing the Derby... Sat. was good to us giving up 3 fish for the day...Sunday not so nice...had a great time & our crew is in for the event next year.. :)

View attachment 32666
Awesome picture of the case of Lucky, a real action shot! Oh and the shot of the fish is OK also.

So everyone here can be 100% sure that their halibut isn't 1 cm over the limit while it is in the water? I'm sure these fish were so close to 133cm that you wouldn't be sure unless it was layed flat on a board that had a 133cm section for it to fit into. If someone brought in fish 3-4 inches over yes then shame but no one has said this was the case. It would be embarrasing regardless to be refused at the scale even if it came down to being a hair's width over.
Exactly. So the question to throw out is... How does everyone measure their Hali's? Currently I use a rope with a tape mark and 2 of us hold it out and do our best to get a measurement and then error on the side of caution. I have thought about rigging an clip, some 40lb test and a Spin&Glo for a total length of 133cm. Then clipping it to the end of my harpoon with the idea of holding the tip at the nose and the current and Spin&Glo will stretch out the line. I'm thinking this would give an easy over or under 133cm visual check.

Back