Where the fish are at this season.

Anyone have any guesses as to bright spots on the island that may be good fishing this season.

Most of what I've read for forecasts on the west coast so far (American fish) sounds pretty poor. No sockeye retention proposed for Alberni inlet. Are there any bright spots in this year's island forecasts I've missed.

Are you planning on trying a new location this year for holidays. What does your intuition tell you about the better spots to fish on the island this summer?

I don't have any secret spots for you , but I'm planning to explore new area (for me) at Winter Harbour planing to leave my boat for two months over there .
Any tips where to start chasing spring salmon and halibut?

I've never done winter harbour before. My boat has spent a bit of time up there as my cousin who I got the boat off of liked going up there. Hopefully others will give you some tips. I didn't follow the WH thread that carefully last season, but it sounded better than a lot of other places last summer. Good luck.

Ok .. here is something, let science help you improve you chances.

What makes fish vulnerable to capture by hooks? A conceptual framework and a review of key determinants

Abstract
Considerable time and money are expended in the pursuit of catching fish with hooks (e.g., handlining, angling, longlining, trolling, drumlining) across the recreational, commercial and subsistence fishing sectors. The fish and other aquatic organisms (e.g., squid) that are captured are not a random sample of the population because external (e.g., turbidity) and underlying internal variables (e.g., morphology) contribute to variation in vulnerability to hooks. Vulnerability is the probability of capture for any given fish in a given location at a given time and mechanistically explains the population-level catchability coefficient, which is a fundamental and usually time-varying (i.e., dynamic) variable in fisheries science and stock assessment. The mechanistic drivers of individual vulnerability to capture are thus of interest to fishers by affecting catch rates, but are also of considerable importance to fisheries managers whenever hook-and-line-generated data contribute to stock assessments. In this paper, individual vulnerability to hooks is conceptualized as a dynamic state, in which individual fish switch between vulnerable and invulnerable states as a function of three interdependent key processes: an individual fish's internal state, its encounter with the gear, and the characteristics of the encountered gear. We develop a new conceptual framework of “vulnerability,” summarize the major drivers of fish vulnerability, and conclude that fish vulnerability involves complex processes. To understand vulnerability, a shift to interdisciplinary research and the integration of ecophysiology, fish ecology, fisheries ecology and human movement ecology, facilitated by new technological developments, is required.
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/faf.12219/full

The fishes internal state = If its hungry
Its encounter with the gear=if you fish where the fish are
Characteristics of the encountered gear= If the gear represents what the fish likes to eat

So someone did all this research to conclude fish bite because they are hungry, they are where you are fishing and because the bait is a good replica of the real thing = Rocket science.

The fishes internal state = If its hungry
Its encounter with the gear=if you fish where the fish are
Characteristics of the encountered gear= If the gear represents what the fish likes to eat

So someone did all this research to conclude fish bite because they are hungry, they are where you are fishing and because the bait is a good replica of the real thing = Rocket science.

There is more to it then that as we have all seen, at the fish cleaning station, stomachs full of bait or landing fish on the deck and bait pouring out of their mouths. Clearly these fish were motivated to strike. ( fish switch between vulnerable and invulnerable states)

I for one never took much stock in the idea that the moon played a roll in when to fish but clearly the data from Australia shows otherwise. Not sure if this can be related back to salmon. I did feel that a full moon did affect fishing because that gave salmon a way to forage at night but what if it was cloudy?

Some say the a change in weather (atmospheric pressure) triggers the bite but this paper did not find that.

I also found in this paper this interesting piece of information.
"Chemical and acoustic signals propagate the farthest from the stimulus source, followed by visual, mechanoreceptive, and lastly electrical information at progressively shorter ranges" I will let everyone figure out what that means and how it relates to salmon fishing. After all part of this sport is the learning curve.

depending on location and species of salmon and the time of the year....full moons are not our friends ....

depending on location and species of salmon and the time of the year....full moons are not our friends ....
and if the earth is spinning on its axis, or if you cut your herring left or right handed, or what you had for dinner the night before, and if you said your prayers before you went to bed, did i miss anything :)

I kind of intended this as a thread for guys new on the chuck, and the fishy fishy video reminded me of a few situations like that. Thought I'd post up a few tricks for when you know the fish are there but they're not biting.

Coho sometimes will not bite unless you trigger them. A very sharp turn will often trigger a strike when trolling in a straight line will not interest them.

When trolling slowly for Chum you can trigger strikes sometimes by putting the motor into neutral, waiting a 10 count then pop it back into gear.

Springs and coho will often be very fussy biters as they stage to spawn later in the year. I've had good luck in those kind of lock jaw situations using a very long leader with bait up to 10 feet behind the flasher. Hard to land a big fish with an 8-10 foot leader but it's caught me some nice Tyee. You can also try using a dummy flasher and running your bait naked 10-15 feet behind the dummy. Naked bait sometimes works well, when the fish are near spawning and not feeding that actively.

Guys have any other tips for when you know the fish are there, but they're not feeding actively.

Last edited:
Back