Malibu Project

I have the transom all prepped and the boat has been dropped off at the pod manufacturer!

Looks like I may be looking for a new gas tank as he didn't have high expectations of being able to salvage the old one due to the thin metal and pitting on the bottom...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    328 KB · Views: 192
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    457.9 KB · Views: 185
I think I would have ground the fiberglass back at least 6" around the outdrive leg hole inside and out and refiberglassed to ensure a good strong transom before bolting a pod on.It might pay off down the road,you must be planning on keeping it for a while to go to this much work.

I should have noted in the beginning that this is the first ocean boat I have owned and definitely the first project like this I have taken on.

Im sure when I am finished there will be lots of things that I have learned and wished that I would have done and not done! I did cut the trasome back a bit and found the plywood to be very solid. I then filled the hole and glassed a extra piece of 3/4 ply overtop of that. The pod builder is going to put 4 bolts through the 3 sheets of 3/4 ply plus the 1/2 inch of glass that the transom is thick as well as 10 other bolts across the transom and swim grid. I am hoping that this will be sufficiently strong.

Today was a busy day filled with lots of driving! Went to victoria to check out another forum members outboard. After performing a run test on land and a compression test I put a deposit on the engine and we agreed that I could take the engine to the dealer to have it checked out a little further. After setting this up it was off to sooke to grab my boat which was ready after one week, now that's a good turn around! With the boat behind the truck it was back to james Bay Area to grab the 200hp ETEC and strap her on the boat. With the boat and motor in tow it was finally time to head back to nanaimo ( did I mention I dragged my wife and kids around all day with me? They were great and no one fussed the whole day).

Here's some picks of the boat back at home. I will take it into parkersimage.jpg tomorrow to have the etec hooked up to the computer. Hopefully it checks out ok because I already love the way it looks back there and can't wait to see it in action!

image.jpg image.jpg

You must be a very satisfied guy, pick up rebuilt hull and drop new power on it all in one trip.

So the place in nanaimo was to busy to get the ETEC in until next week plus some of the numbers they were quoting me seemed out to lunch. So I called up a place in port and they said bring it by tomorrow and we'll squeeze you in no problem! The ETEC got a clean bill of health besides a shift cable that needs to be replaced and the original owner agreed to cover the expenses(super nice guy and a pleasure to do business with)!

I also got the new custom tank ordered today from another forum member who is going to have it ready by sometime next week and is giving me a great deal!

So the place in nanaimo was to busy to get the ETEC in until next week plus some of the numbers they were quoting me seemed out to lunch. So I called up a place in port and they said bring it by tomorrow and we'll squeeze you in no problem! The ETEC got a clean bill of health besides a shift cable that needs to be replaced and the original owner agreed to cover the expenses(super nice guy and a pleasure to do business with)!

I also got the new custom tank ordered today from another forum member who is going to have it ready by sometime next week and is giving me a great deal!
Were you talking to Mike at PY

Things have slowed down a little bit over the last couple weeks as the boat has been sitting in limbo at the shop in port... I am hoping they will get on it soon and install the 200 ETEC so I can get it home and start installing the floor and this new custom fuel tank!

image.jpg

I'm quite dissapointed in them too. Was going to get the pod built at E&D but they said they couldn't do it until the last week of March. The shop in port said they could get it done in two weeks. I dropped the boat off Feb 24. Was told today that the pod will be done by easter weekend and they should have me on the water by the first week of May. I'm getting a new 300 etec installed as well. I don't want to wait from easter till first week of may to have them install the engine. I have a friend who rigs boats for a living and he can have it done in a couple days vs 3 weeks after pod is done. I haven't had any luck with any of the marine shops around the mid island. Found a beauty mobile guy though in Parksville. .

Any updates?

Picked the boat up Friday morning and spent about 30 hours working on it this weekend. I built the new box for the fuel tank and glassed it all in, installed new fuel tank, foamed all cavities and started working on the floor. I also ripped out the old mercruiser wiring harness and cleaned up some wiring behind the dash.

I will post some picks tomorrow as they are on my phone and it's dead.

Here's a couple pics from the weekend. I didn't get any of the glassing in action as I had my brother in law helping and we had our heads down taking care of business!

Hoping to finish fitting the floor tonight but the couch is looking pretty comfortable...

image.jpg image.jpg

Back