SFI Fishing App - just launched

What great idea! Really easy to navigate - seems like a major improvement over the DFO site that was often incomprehensible!

Is the catch data going to collected / used by any of groups (dfo, sfi, psf)?

Would be much more accurate than creel survey...

Baffles me that so much app development is done for the i-thing platform when Android has over 85% market share.

Baffles me that so much app development is done for the i-thing platform when Android has over 85% market share.
Because they have the die hard apple users brainwashed that the platform is so much better. They charge more for the Apple products and their consumers have accepted the fact that you have to pay for most iPhone apps. Developers can sell their products easier on the iPhone platform because their users accept that most apps cost money. Android users expect most small apps to be free or low cost, so I guess there's not as much money and incentive in it for developers.

That goes part of the way to explaining it I guess. Is there still a hangover of the old "Apple is for creative people" still around?

You have to be creative alright. You need to jailbreak your own phone and void the warranty to make the slightest customization on your own phone. I got tired of having to jailbreak my own phone just to have it the way I wanted. Bailed on Apple a few years back and Ive never looked back. Hopefully the Android version of this app will be available soon.

Just got an email from SFI announcing the release of their brand new fishing app.

I just downloaded it from the App Store on my iphone (don't think it's available for Android yet) and I'll be interested to test it out. At first glance it appears to have the following functionality:
-acts as a digital license (there is a catch log, etc). it has my license number stored
-has species ID
-has updated regs (still need to try this part out). I already had to sync my app in order to download new regs
-has charts with RCA's, fishing areas, etc.

from the email I just got:

"British Columbia's free tidal waters (saltwater) sport fishing app, created by the Sport Fishing Institute of BC in partnership with Fisheries and Oceans Canada and supported by the Pacific Salmon Foundation."
Great App !!
Thanks Tincan

Too bad you cant have your license on it.

your license is on the app once you set it up. There is a QR code reader, licence number, etc. However, at this point you still need to have a paper copy (signed) of your licence as well. Given that DFO was involved in the process of this app, hopefully soon this will be a full replacement that is accepted by officers as official.

I think the catch log data will be super useful (and accurate) compared to current methods as long as people really get on board with this app. I know a lot of guys out there keep their own catch logs but this seems like a nice way to do it. Many tweeks/versions to come I'm sure but a good starting point for an app that is LONG overdue IMO

Because they have the die hard apple users brainwashed that the platform is so much better. They charge more for the Apple products and their consumers have accepted the fact that you have to pay for most iPhone apps. Developers can sell their products easier on the iPhone platform because their users accept that most apps cost money. Android users expect most small apps to be free or low cost, so I guess there's not as much money and incentive in it for developers.

You have to pay for most iPhone apps? You mean there are apps that are the same on both platforms that you only have to pay for if you have an iPhone, same app free for android?

There are some that are only free for Android if they have them on both platforms. That is not the majority of the apps though. What is more common is similar small apps on an iPhone are paid, vs most small apps on Android are commonly free.

My gawd, man. There's a lot of cod swallop in your post. But whatever... LOL

Android and Linux stuff is fine if you have the wherewithal to want to mess with it. Lots don't and don't want to.

Ford, Chevy, Dodge. Pick the one you like. I'm sure they'll Port it over to android friendly soon. ;-)

Not exactly sure what cod swallop your referring too Kildonan. Android is based on the free open source Linux operating system . The majority of Linux operating systems and programs are developed and maintained by people volunteering their time and coding expertise. That is why a lot more small independently developed apps are free on the Android platform. A lot of the Linux coders who develop small Android apps subscribe to the Linux philosophy that software should be free. That is not the Apple or Microsoft vision of how software should work.

The Android platform was developed from Linux by Google. Android is professionally developed and maintained by Google, and there is no need to "mess with it" as most Android users could attest to. Use whatever platform you prefer, but free is always better in my book. I'm not just taking about cost, it's also about freedom to do what you wish with hardware and software you own. To each there own as they say.

Hopefully this app will be coming to Android phones in the near future.

Last edited:
Lots of Apple apps are free, just like the SFI one. If not they're a buck or two. No biggie. But, again, lots of people don't want to or know how to mess around with their devices like you do or have any clue what they're doing to be able to do that. To each their own, mate. It's a free world.

Anyway, apologies for the slight derailing of the topic at hand. Carry on, gents. I like the app. It's a good start with I'm sure improvements to come. :)

just have to wait droid user here.........:(

Back