LOX SALMON

treblig

I start with shoulder cuts of either Coho or Spring salmon. No white springs I save those for candy salmon that is being dried in the dehydrator right now. Both sides of the cut I sprinkle a light coat of rock salt and heavy layer of white pepper and a thick layer of dill. I wrap them in cellophane and puncture the wrap with fine holes for the juices to escape . They then each go into seperate bun pans on top of each other with a jug of milk in the top empty pan. This will compress them and squeeze out the juices. After 24 hours I slice them thin diagonally and then wrap them in a vacuum bag for storage.
Great on melba toast.

Correction Noted:
GRAVLAX (DILL-CURED SALMON)

Attachments

• getimage.php.jpeg
    getimage.php.jpeg
    62.9 KB · Views: 70
  • getimage-1.php.jpeg
    getimage-1.php.jpeg
    100.6 KB · Views: 65
  • getimage-2.php.jpeg
    getimage-2.php.jpeg
    117.1 KB · Views: 63
  • getimage-3.php.jpeg
    getimage-3.php.jpeg
    84.6 KB · Views: 65
  • getimage-4.php.jpeg
    getimage-4.php.jpeg
    55.3 KB · Views: 60
  • getimage-5.php.jpeg
    getimage-5.php.jpeg
    75.2 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Very nice Treblig. Not to split hairs, but I think the correct term for what you are making is "Nova Lox". Lox is smoked, Nova is not. I prefer the smoke flavoring, even if it is only lightly smoked. Thanks for the post.

Correction Noted:
GRAVLAX (DILL-CURED SALMON)

SERVES 6

2 x 750g skin – on salmon fillets
1 large bunch dill, roughly chopped
100g coarse sea salt
75g white sugar
2 tbsp crushed white peppercorns

For the horseradish and mustard sauce:
2 tsp finely grated horseradish (fresh or from a jar)
2 tsp finely grated onion
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp caster sugar
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
A good pinch of salt
175ml double cream

Tastes good no matter how it is done. A mustard and honey sauce is good as well.

Your on the button....... name it what you like if it goes down good that all that counts. Love this on light toast for breakfast. Then a zip bag of candy salmon in my pocket to last the rest of the day.

I had saved these recipes to try. I like to do things differently once in a while. Beets and black currants will help add an extra bit of coloring to a paler fleshed Salmon. I use beets or beet powder in my cures regularly. Crème de cassis is a black currant liqueur that adds a nice color and flavor that I use in my Salmon cures as well.

You might want to check out these very interesting recipes.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodandd...th-fennel-and-blackcurrant-relish-recipe.html

http://www.foodrepublic.com/recipes/beet-cured-gravlax-recipe/

ps. don't use foil as suggested in the recipes, use saran wrap.

Also a lot of gravlax recipes use gin. Personally, I think I would substitute gin instead of vodka. I like the extra flavor it imparts, but then I'm fond of Gin.

Last edited:
Back