Cabo Charters

bushwackin

Im heading down to Cabo next week and want to charter a boat for a few days. Any recommendations for a good captain by anybody? I did a search on here but can't seem to find much for topics in the last few years. Thanks in advance guys for any tips!

This is who I use
http://abycharters.com/en/ talk to Senor Garcia. Very honest and upfront no BS. there used to be a thread but maybe with the new software it is lost
got his name from another forum member years ago....

Are you going to be right in Cabo San Lucas?
What type of fish you looking for? The top boats release the marlin, I prefer the yellowfin tuna myself. What type of boat you looking for and what's your budget?
I'm down in San Jose right now and can help you.

everything you catch is yours within the limits. I release marlin but the dorado go home with me

Yes staying right in cabo San Lucas. I'd rather target yellow fin and dorado myself. Just the GF and myself hiring a charter so doesn't need to be a big boat

Wow!!!! That Aby has a impressive lineup of boats and great prices. Never been or fished Cabo but if I ever do I know where to go. We go to Malaque and fish out of Bara-de Navidad.. I'm just as happy on a Panga then any other boat.. And 30 miles of shore sometimes to boot..

I fished with Pisces Sportfishing in December. We got into 5 striped marlin landed and released for. We fished on the 31ft bertram. Clean boat with new twin diesels. Captain and mate were great and the deckhand spoke good english. $600 for a full day for 3 of us. Gear was top notch. $20 for extra live bait was worth it.

I've fished Cabo for about 5+ years, first year was with the big outfits like Pisces and Picante, cost about $900-$1000 with bait, tip, etc. Good outfits but expensive. Then I got turned on to panga fishing out of San Jose del Cabo (I only target wahoo, dorado and yellowfin) and haven't turned back since. Check out www.gordobanks.com; the cost is half that of downtown Cabo on a 30+ foot boat for the same number of fishing hours and you don't have to deal with the rough seas as much. I think Gaviota also has an operation at San Jose del Cabo. The pangas are very sea worthy and surprisingly stable, no diesel fumes either. The downside is that you'd have to get yourself to the marina at San Jose del Cabo by 6 a.m. (taxi or rent a car), provide your own lunch and drinks and there are no fighting chairs (only for wimps anyway). You can get your fishing license on-line at www.bajasursportfishing.com instead of at the marina where y0u'd have to get in line. There are guys at the marina who will fillet the fish for you for pesos; take a cooler with ice to put your fillets in for the ride/drive home. Check out the fishing report from gordobanks.com to find out what's currently being caught. Good luck!

HH,

Not down there at the moment, wish I was. Will be end of March early April for just over a week.

All that has been posted above is good info. I've fished with most mentioned and they are all good operations.

Boils down to what you are looking for in your charter.

All-Inclusive, beers, lunch, baits, licenses, keep it simple type charter. Show up at the marina and your good to go. Yes, bit more expensive, BUT all is taken care of for you so you pay a bit more.

Fix your own lunch, grab beers, buy a cooler, online license, save some money for sure but you now have to put in the effort while down there in vacation.

All depends on the experience you are looking for.

PM me if interested in the operation I fish with and use for my Baja Outpost fishing adventures.

Best of luck down there

Cheers

Three yrs ago I asked the same question.
Of all the great suggestions, I went with abycharters.
Great experience, good panga boat, great guide(!!!), booking was good pre trip, licenses information , etc.etc. No surprises!!!
I was there for 7 days and fished 3 - that was the reason for the trip.
Had I know @Fishtofino was down there I would have followed his suggestion, as I stayed in San Jose del Cabo.
Mr. Garcia runs abycharters and has for over 30 yrs, his daughter does the bookings and she is fluent in English, I am not sure but suspect some of the boats are not his...regardless he only seemed to have good boats and guides.

Wow!!!! That Aby has a impressive lineup of boats and great prices. Never been or fished Cabo but if I ever do I know where to go. We go to Malaque and fish out of Bara-de Navidad.. I'm just as happy on a Panga then any other boat.. And 30 miles of shore sometimes to boot..
I'm heading to Melaque tomorrow, charter on Sunday. I'm happy fishing from panga too. Planning to target yellowfin and dorado this time.

Ricardo @ Fati Sportfishing in San Jose.
Great guy, gets fish, awesome communication. He and his family have been doing it for generations.
Not nearly as fancy (or costly, or as far from fishing grounds if Gordo Bank is "on" for your dates) as the "white boat" fleet out of Cabo.... but we have watched a large "white boat" backing down a fisherman strapped in to fighting chair that was obviously having the fight of his life .... hung up on bottom. Ricardo and deckhand (his nephew iirc) were almost in tears laughing, as were we when he pointed out what was happening.
Live bait, light tackle, chumming live bait to keep 15-40lb yellowfin interested. Great time, recommended.

were heading down as well , staying at the Riu dt Cabo San Lucas ,10 days
gonna take Michael out for a day or 2 on a panga , calmer inshore stuff , looks fun...
last outting not so pleasant on the open water , pretty rough the whole trip , even our 36 offshore ,
dont want ta freak the little guy out , may send ya a message Fishtofino ,
need ta figure out fastest easiest way to del cabo in the am ,

lots of good info here , ..............

http://gordobanks.com/category/fish-reports/

felix

Last edited:
were heading down as well , staying at the Riu dt Cabo San Lucas ,10 days
gonna take Michael out for a day or 2 on a panga , calmer inshore stuff , looks fun...
last outting not so pleasant on the open water , pretty rough the whole trip , even our 36 offshore ,
dont want ta freak the little guy out , may send ya a message Fishtofino ,
need ta figure out fastest easiest way to del cabo in the am ,

lots of good info here , ..............

http://gordobanks.com/category/fish-reports/

felix
You need to get to the marina at about 5:30 a.m., the earlier you get there, the sooner you can get on the water. The Riu is at least 30 minutes from the marina. You can have the concierge arrange for a taxi to leave at 5 a.m. or you can rent a car the evening (5 p.m.) before. With the current exchange rate, you can probably get a one day rental for about $50 (rental + liability + CDW) and you'd have the car back within 24 hours. I don't know about the cost of a taxi, but an airport transfer to the Riu cost abut $16/person one way. Have you made reservations yet with Eric at Gordo Banks?

tha
You need to get to the marina at about 5:30 a.m., the earlier you get there, the sooner you can get on the water. The Riu is at least 30 minutes from the marina. You can have the concierge arrange for a taxi to leave at 5 a.m. or you can rent a car the evening (5 p.m.) before. With the current exchange rate, you can probably get a one day rental for about $50 (rental + liability + CDW) and you'd have the car back within 24 hours. I don't know about the cost of a taxi, but an airport transfer to the Riu cost abut $16/person one way. Have you made reservations yet with Eric at Gordo Banks?

thanks for all that , will be my 5th time ta cabo , never been to san jose del cabo yet , glad its only 30 min ,
thought it was further , might rent a car for 3 days , few other places id like ta take the fam ,
gonna do a bit of homework before i book anyone , 5 am aint gonna happen lol

fd

Back