Im fixin to get a new smoker: Advice wanted.

i use a true north as well. does the cardboard box trick not work for you? i punched a hole through the door and insert
a temp gauge and just adj the box to let heat in or out.

i use a true north as well. does the cardboard box trick not work for you? i punched a hole through the door and insert
a temp gauge and just adj the box to let heat in or out.

Oh ya. I have always covered them with the box with some holes in it. I have always cold smoked in them as well just by leaving the door open somewhat and checking the temp.

I have been using a Bradley for the past 12 years--it works for me but does have its drawbacks. I've got a 22 lb pork shoulder that I'm smoking right now, finishing it off in the oven. With that cold NE today the box temp didn't get over 100F so after 4 hours of smoke I put it in the oven to get the heat. The Bradley element doesn't have enough oomph to get up to 210 to do the job.

T2

Last edited:
build one.. not that hard to do and works great i got inspiration from Nog love mine and it works great and i use real alder have a hard time paying for wood when its right here FREE....Sorry dont know why it wen sideways View attachment 30709

thats sweet, love the bacon picts!!

i find smoking is a bit of a chore in the little chief, never enough room for a decent sized batch to make it worth the time/prep/ cleanup imo....
I end up doing 2-3 batches, and still have problems getting it hot enough for peperoni, casings get soggy

also the best way ive found to make wood chips is to use the jointer (or a surface planer)

IMG_0748.JPG My chipper and lots of alder on the property!
You want chips when I'm around pick a nice red alder and we can fill a pail or two.
Does about 100 fpm so pretty quick.

Last edited:
Ha!!! That's awesome... Just heads up to people in the Parksville area.. If you wanted to try a Bradley before you bought one or just need one a few times a year.. The Tool Shed has one they rent..

Wow about this one !!!!!!!!!!

16299491_1813310552241623_6677676312731402340_n.jpg

Wow!!!! Saw a little chief smoker at the SOS in Parksville for $79.00.. Brand new. Box is open but I don't think is was ever removed. Just looked. $249.00 at Canadian tire. Anyone want it. I might just go get it ti resell lol

I've had my Big chief for 20 years and i've got the smoker dial'd in , after so many years i've learned how she works best ,outside temps ,times, brines
not state of the art but puts out great product ,change smoke chips in the pan 2-3 times ...
pre smoked steaks , pre smoked turkey , prime rib man it does it ..

IMG_0236.JPG

That looks like Salt lick in Texas , damn good bbq ate there 2 years ago , bring your own cooler of booze and chow time ...mmm fatty brisk
i think i stood at the grill for 30 min in aww ! when you walk in the door thats what you see first hello bbq !

Wow about this one !!!!!!!!!!

16299491_1813310552241623_6677676312731402340_n.jpg

I just use a hot plate for fish in my smoker, super easy to use..use the fire box with wood for meat

GnB

Another option for heat is the old electric frying pans. They have there own thermostats as well. The problem with new hot plates is some of the newer ones have internal safety shut offs for fire safety. They might work ok if your only using them for low temp smoking, but the built in safefty might make it hard to smoke at higher temps. A thrift shop old school hot plate or electric frying pan might give you less trouble.

You guys should all watch a few episodes of Man Fire Food, some crazy smoking/cooking contraptions on there. I have a digital Bradley smoker and love it, best part is you can set it and forget it. Winter or summer it regulates the heat for you, worth the extra $$$ than the lower model in my opinion. I have a remote thermostat I set in the meat and it shows the internal temp and alarms when it's done. Also the option to purchase the cold smoker attachment which is what I want to try next. Also I agree about not liking paying for chips but the amount I use it it doesn't break the bank, however I always wondered why you couldn't make your own pucks with your own wood. I'm sure someone has out there, little hydraulic press, wood chips and something to hold them together. So I guess my answer is if you have a bit of cash and like the idea of setting and forgetting the digital Bradley gets the job done, if funds are tight, or you like to build your own and tinker around with the food while it smokes some of those manual ones are great to. I started with a little chief which I loved but a bit hard in the winter to get the temp, now I have the Bradley with the built in element, cooked/smoked wings in it yesterday -3 out and they turned out perfect with no tinkering. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Back