gas powered prawn puller

Ya 6:1.....
Does look simple. Found out I can buy a 6:1 from princess auto and bolt it to the the 194cc motor.
I think for starters im going to buy just the motor 138.00$ and try to increase to torque by increasing the dia. Of the pulley. Hopefully it doesn't bog down. I'm going to make the davit from 1" stock so I can hand bend it. Then ill gusset it. Should be able to be in for well under 200.00. If it doesn't work with the pulley ill buy the gear reduction now that I know they sell them for imports.

Good idea on bending it

Ya 6:1.....
Does look simple. Found out I can buy a 6:1 from princess auto and bolt it to the the 194cc motor.
I think for starters im going to buy just the motor 138.00$ and try to increase to torque by increasing the dia. Of the pulley. Hopefully it doesn't bog down. I'm going to make the davit from 1" stock so I can hand bend it. Then ill gusset it. Should be able to be in for well under 200.00. If it doesn't work with the pulley ill buy the gear reduction now that I know they sell them for imports.

Good idea on bending it
increasing the diameter of the pulley will decrease torque . the bigger you go the faster the line retrieve speed will be ,your friends will call you stumpy. the gear reduction will slow the capstan down to a managable 150-200 rpm . Take a long look at your fingers while you still have them.

Thought it was other way round. Bigger slower, thanks.
Nope, you can calculate the line speed as follows:

3.14 x Diameter x RPM = line pulled per minute (assumes no slip).
Therefore you have say 3.14 x 2" diameter pulley x 2000 rpm = 12560 inches per minute = 1047 feet per minute
or 3.14 x 12" pulley x 2000 rpm = 75,360 ipm = 12,560 fpm.

Most electric pullers are more like 5o to 100 rpm and running a 6" to 9" pulley.
3.14 x 6 x 100 = 1884 ipm = 157 fpm.

Going without a gear reduction seems scary fast to me even with the little pulley.

Won`t work without some type of gear reduction-went through this exercise 20 years ago when I bought my puller--just sayin!!

Nope, you can calculate the line speed as follows:

3.14 x Diameter x RPM = line pulled per minute (assumes no slip).
Therefore you have say 3.14 x 2" diameter pulley x 2000 rpm = 12560 inches per minute = 1047 feet per minute
or 3.14 x 12" pulley x 2000 rpm = 75,360 ipm = 12,560 fpm.

Most electric pullers are more like 5o to 100 rpm and running a 6" to 9" pulley.
3.14 x 6 x 100 = 1884 ipm = 157 fpm.

Going without a gear reduction seems scary fast to me even with the little pulley.
Agreed, thats wayyyyyyy too fast. Something WILL go wrong at those kind of speeds. Don't try and save a few bucks and skip the gear reduction. Not worth it.

I was thinking a cheap ice fishing auger, I thought you could still get one for $300 new but maby gone up.. 2 stroke, light and only worry about filler cap orientation with a wicked gear drive and clutch built in. My buddy returning mine and hit the ice in the next couple weeks for walleye but might consider repurpose with the move to the island!
http://www.geteskimo.com/stingray-s33-power-ice-auger

Last edited:
Back