Dyed Seachoice Smoked Salmon

Birdsnest

The other day I was on a road trip and instead of getting burgers or something bad I thought just bit of smoked salmon would be nice. I grabbed this without closely looking at it and it turned out to be spawny chum salmon that was heavily dyed red like the black cod often is.
I thought it was ironic/hypocritical of the product to have the SeaChoice sticker of approval given it was dyed and the dye is not even in the label. The flesh on the inside was pale with no color. I managed to eat it but it was only or barely ok. Glad I usually make my own.

What is that dye made of?
IMG_1507.JPG

Well it's on their 'certified list' if it is BC Chum. Does adding dye make it unsustainable? Probably not, as that is their mandate. They are more concerned about how the fish was caught and if the fishery is sustainable and does not have a negative impact on wild stocks.

But yes, would I eat it, maybe if I was desperate.

probably the same dye they use on farmed atlantic salmon...

red dye is iron oxide, commonly found in drain pipes.

probably the same dye they use on farmed atlantic salmon...
I don't think so. This smoked fish is sold by the Pattison store group and the coloring is on the surface only; the coloring in farmed Atlantics is throughout the flesh, just like wild or hatchery raised salmon. The product sold in Chilliwack, where I live, are chum fillets and I was told it is from the economic FN chum fisheries on the Fraser, a by product from the main purpose the fishery, that being the harvesting of eggs.
I have tried it, as I have tried most all locally available farmed fish .. I agree with BN in that it is barely OK, but it had been previously frozen so until I sample a fillet that had not been frozen I will reserve final comment as to taste and texture.
I wonder how sustainable these fresh water economic chum fisheries really are ... most certainly the Fraser River fisheries are impacting Thompson and Chilcotin steelhead populations, upper Fraser River coho and possibly Cultus Lake sockeye.

I see the product Birdnest sampled was purchased in Port Alberni ... anyone know where it may have been caught?

I don't think so. This smoked fish is sold by the Pattison store group and the coloring is on the surface only; the coloring in farmed Atlantics is throughout the flesh, just like wild or hatchery raised salmon. The product sold in Chilliwack, where I live, are chum fillets and I was told it is from the economic FN chum fisheries on the Fraser, a by product from the main purpose the fishery, that being the harvesting of eggs.
I have tried it, as I have tried most all locally available farmed fish .. I agree with BN in that it is barely OK, but it had been previously frozen so until I sample a fillet that had not been frozen I will reserve final comment as to taste and texture.
I wonder how sustainable these fresh water economic chum fisheries really are ... most certainly the Fraser River fisheries are impacting Thompson and Chilcotin steelhead populations, upper Fraser River coho and possibly Cultus Lake sockeye.

I see the product Birdnest sampled was purchased in Port Alberni ... anyone know where it may have been caught?

The colouring in farmed atlantic salmon is added to their feed to make the salmon look more palatable. pretty hard to do that with wild chum so I'd guess it's probably sprayed on somehow. In both cases it seems it's trying to fool the consumer into thinking it's something it's not. not illegal (at this point in time) but hardly ethical I would think...
looks like it fooled birdsnest. looks like alot of farmed atlantic salmon purchasers get fooled also...
I have to admit I was fooled with basically the same product as birdsnest's post here years ago. Had a couple bites and the rest ended up in the garbage or was given to the dog... can't remember as it was quite a few years ago... Only make that mistake once...

Last edited:
Last edited:
That dyed "smoked flavoured" chum product has been around for decades. Generally speaking this is a product that is targeted towards the general population that does not have the opportunity to harvest and prepare our own as most of us do. Sadly, it is what their expectations are for smoked salmon. For those of us who are lucky enough to be able to get our own fish, this is normally considered to be very expensive dog food. ;)

the red dye used, is most likely Cochineal dye. It's made from crushed beetles. Lol
The spawned out chum was sprayed with beetle guts.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cochineal

View attachment 31020

View attachment 31020

Yep. Research this. It's in a lot more foods than you might think. If it's red and labeled "natural" colouring, it's probably dyed with these guys. Some people ( my old lady) are allergic and can have painful digestive problems if they ingest them.

I bought some once when I was in a hurry thinking it was a good deal on smoked salmon. Texture was fine but pretty much flavorless. I think the "paint" is a combination of bottled Beijing smog and used ATF.

Back