Fishing Highway

Deep

I am coming to BC (from AB) after ice off. I am an avid trout fisher that practices catch and release. My destination is the"Fishing Highway" west of Little Fort. Never having been there before, I am asking for advice and tips on the area. Barbless fishing?

Sheridan Lake, and Bridge Lake are two great lakes in that area. I like Bridge because it has Lake Trout (Char) that I enjoy having the option to fish. Definitely try both if in that area.

My buddy owned caverhill lake lodge. Great fishing lakes. 14 lakes had row boats on them and there small lakes ( big grassy was exception) Some lakes lots mid sized fish some lakes not so many but huge fish. Look them up, access was a fsr road that branched off a driveway just before little fort from the highway

There are a ton of lakes on the Bonaparte plateau. I was taken in there in the mid 1970's by my older brother who knew the area well. We passed a lot of lakes before we landed at our destination, the fishing was rdiculously great, we were there for a week. But that was a long time ago. Access was awful, I'll bet it's a lot better now.

Have you checked with the Little Fort fly shop? I'll bet they can give some great advice.

Is your preference size or quantity? Are you camping or staying at a resort? Fly fishing or trolling? I can give some names of lakes based on your answers.

Thanks Zman, Size always matters.. but I very much enjoy to have a steady number of fish to catch. I do camp from my van and carry a 10 ft Jon boat with electric trolling motor. I never mastered the art of "Fly fishing" but I have been very effective at using a variety of flies. So, the majority of my fishing is by trolling.

No problem Deep. I'd recommend either staying at Janice lake (Emar lake provincial site for quantity) or Crystal lake (forestry site for size ). Both lakes have nice campsites and offer good fishing with a variety of lakes nearby. From Janice you can try Lac des Roches lake for large fish or Deer, Lost Horse or some others in the Nehalliston area. Or, from Crystal you can fish Bridge as previously mention along with Sheridan, French (trophy lake) and Fawn. If you're after a little seclusion I'd suggest the Janice route. There are some small walk-in lakes by boat from Janice as well that are worth the trip.

If you want to conserve a little battery power for your trolling motor, pick up a selection of buzz bombs for jigging. They work well on the large rainbow species that feed on minnows as well as lake trout. Pick up a selection of sizes from 2-4 inches. Pink pearl would be my recommendation for colours. If you try Bridge Lake the lakers there definitely respond well to a jigged buzz bomb.

Curious as to what is found at the prov. rec. areas - picnic table? firepit? and need one bring wood. Is there a fee charged for staying? Thanks.

In the B.C. Forest Service campsites you will usually find picnic tables, pit toilets, and sometimes a fire ring or at least a pile of rocks to make your own. Just remember to pack out your garbage, most of the more primitive sites are user-maintained. If the campsite is far enough off the beaten track there is no charge for use, that being said our Premier Crispy Critter is promising more campsites this year due to high demand and I wouldn't put it past her to start charging for these sites.Leave your wood at home, bring a chain saw, there's still lots of pine beetle bug kill around. Some of it is dead standing (read dry as a bone) and makes for a fine campfire, just make certain you don't cut anything with even the smallest amount of greenery, that tree won't be dead. If you're not certain stick to deadfall and don't harvest it in the campsite. When I get close to a Forest Service rec site , say a kilometre out I start looking for suitable wood and am seldom disappointed

Thanks Ronnie, but I am quite sure that if i were to remove wood from the "natural" areas- even dead wood there would be negative consequences. I will likely buy wood to maintain the balance of nature. BC rec. sites info. says to leave the wood. Much appreciation for the site information and Merry Christmas.

Bridge lake also has very large Kokanee in it. Some go up to five pounds, or at least they used to, not sure about nowadays. Buy a Luhr Jensen #000 size dodger and troll a small pink apex behind it for kokanee. You can also do ok trolling flies behind the small dodger for the koks in Bridge. Try small red or pink flies for the koks.

Thanks BigGuy, I caught smaller kokanee years ago while house boating. I'm getting pumped for the open water season. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Back