Time for new electronics

I've even had a so-called Guide get upset at me for not having a GPS unit on my boat (before I had one). He claimed that we could have been fishing through the fog if I had one. (????)

There have been a couple times where i was getting skunked; turned on the RADAR to see where everybody but me was................

I think it's crazy to not have radar. All the idiots that run at 20 knots on their gps thinking they are safe is mind boggling to me. I like seeing them coming at me

X2

Sept. couple years back, come out of Brown's Bay. Couldn't see 50 ft. so foggy it was amazing once the boats got out of the marina you could hear them get right up onto step and no radar. It's a scary thought guys running around like that under those conditions.

Radar is a great tool in more ways than one!!

I have decided to go with the HDS 12 or 9 gen 3 depending on if I can fit the 12 on my dash. Thanks for all the input.
I do have one question about it tho. When the screen is split is it possible to just the size of the split i.e., 2/3 of the screen gps and 1/3 sounder?

Im a huge fan of through hull transducers. the location of my current transducer hole is on a flat level surface so I was considering getting a transducer that has the 20 degree angle and mounting it so that it would point 20 degrees forward posed to the side. Just an idea. Nice to have advanced notice on bait balls and targets.
B175M.jpg

If your dealing with Harbour Chandler ,you might want to check out Simrad,made by Navico,same as Lowrance.All the same features as Lowrance,some say better,including their reps at last years Vancouver boat show.I went with 2-NSS7 evo2's,worked out to almost the same price as 1-9". You'll be happy with either choice and they are giving $200 rebates on each unit till Dec.31/16.

I've never heard of anyone doing that,but I can't think of any down side to trying it.

I don't usually go out in the fog, but this past summer, I got caught in fog that rolled in after I got out 4 times off Telegraph Cove. Lots of marine traffic up there. Not very comfortable. My new winter project is a radar installation.
My Garmin is a touch screen - works great. I keep a rag handy and have never had a problem with the salty/bloody hands thing.

I've never heard of anyone doing that,but I can't think of any down side to trying it.

The depth may be out in deep water but I can deal with that and it may line up more accurately with the down rigger depths or a bit closer at least. Down side: it does not work and I have to buy another unit.

You might want to research the ping back against an aluminum hull compared to a fiberglass hull on the through hulls. I went with the transom mount for a reason.

Good luck with what ever you choose.

Im a huge fan of through hull transducers. the location of my current transducer hole is on a flat level surface so I was considering getting a transducer that has the 20 degree angle and mounting it so that it would point 20 degrees forward posed to the side. Just an idea. Nice to have advanced notice on bait balls and targets.
View attachment 30634
dont buy a 20* for a flat bottom to try get it to act like a forward facing transducer
simrad lowrance are now doing a forward facing tranny which does what you want
the 20* beam will bonce off bottom and and the return will be lost or very little
look on the airmar website or ask abbor on the THT forum
and if you do go buy that 20* please make it a b-164 or ss-164 i'll then take it off your hands when it don't work.....lol
regards johnboy

I have decided to go with the HDS 12 or 9 gen 3 depending on if I can fit the 12 on my dash. Thanks for all the input.
I do have one question about it tho. When the screen is split is it possible to just the size of the split i.e., 2/3 of the screen gps and 1/3 sounder?

Yes, no problem. When viewing a split screen, access the hidden menu by touching the top item on the menu bar, holding it and dragging the menu down. Tap "adjust splits" and then drag the divider to adjust the individual panel sizes, hit save and you're set.

Wondering if you bought your units or not yet. There will be massive discounts very soon. the gen 3 are old technology. not really but the gen4 will be out so. just a tip for anyone looking.

IMG_1155.JPG Just wrapping up a total restoration on a 25 bertram. We went with simrad nss evo2 9" twin displays and 4g radar and totalscan transducer.

I've always been loyal to raymarine but after having installed an even larger simrad system a couple of months ago on a new aluminum build I'm totally set with simrad. The features and flexibility of the units are much better and costs are less than raymarine and neck and neck with Garmin.

I've been cramming Electronics in our customers boats and ours for a number of years now and I think simrad will be the new game changer (although they've been around for decades).

If anyone is interested in purchasing new electronics please check with me for pricing. Dad and I became tired of buying electronics from dealers that don't use the stuff themselves so this year we became an authorized dealer of ray marine, simrad, garmin, fusion and a slew of other brands. We don't stock but I'm quite certain I can beat just about any real quote. Full warranties and we install for 50 per hour.

Finally getting around to the instal on my new gen3 hds12. Apparently there has been issues with the gps/course up antennae when using radar overlay due to being to close to the radar. Anyone had this happen?

Bought a hds7 gen 3 last fall to replace my Lms 480 now the problem I have is I have to buy new navionics card as the new ones take a micro sd card not the standard one my old one took. I wish I could just copy it on to a micro sd card.

Finally getting around to the instal on my new gen3 hds12. Apparently there has been issues with the gps/course up antennae when using radar overlay due to being to close to the radar. Anyone had this happen?
The radar radiation messes with the GPS signal if it's too close. I'm also doing a radar install, and the mounting consideration section says the GPS antenna either has to be above or below the radar beam path

Back