May Fishing Charter - Vancouver Island

cpwright

Planning a fishing charter for 6 guys May long weekend on Vancouver Island. Hoping for salmon and hali, any suggestions on locations and/or charters? What is a reasonable price? Hoping to have processing/vacuum bagging included before we head back to the mainland.

Cheers!

If you want Halibut, closer to the open ocean is best. Don't know of any charters that take 6 on a single boat. 3 per boat is good if doing multiple days. Most boats that take 2-3 anglers are around $100/hour. Trip lengths run 6-10 hours.
Last year, Salmon season's were fairly restrictive during May; the closer to the open ocean you go & the farther north you go there will be fewer restrictions for Salmon.
DFO regulations govern the number of pieces each fish can be cut into in the field before being at home. There are some DFO certified processing stations.
Weather this time of year is a roll of the dice. You might want to pick a location that offers some sheltered fishing such as Barkley, Clayquot & Nootka sounds There is a guide on this forum who goes by "trophywife" that seems to have a good handle on catching Halibut inside Barkley Sound, A guide named "fishtofino" seems to have a good handle on the Clayquot area. I am sure there are many others. I have had very good experiences using Trent at Long Beach Charters in Ucluelet.
FYI DFO regulations are pretty hard to get a handle on. I recommend you go to the DFO Fisheries Notices web page http://notices.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm
and search the 2016 notices concerning Chinook in the management area(s) you want to fish. The logic here is that the 2017 restrictions will be similar to the 2016 restriction

Last edited:
Planning a fishing charter for 6 guys May long weekend on Vancouver Island. Hoping for salmon and hali, any suggestions on locations and/or charters? What is a reasonable price? Hoping to have processing/vacuum bagging included before we head back to the mainland.

Cheers!
Try Trevor at No Bananas.
It will be good fishing for Halibut and Springs in his area during that time!

I would call Ken at rocky point charters in bamfield. He is a excellent fisherman and the accommodations are fantastic very roomy for 6 guys.

You won't have any problem getting into slot sized salmon and halibut in Victoria. some of you guys travel way too far to catch a fish!

I won't recommend charters but you'll have lots of options.

You won't have any problem getting into slot sized salmon and halibut in Victoria. some of you guys travel way too far to catch a fish!
I won't recommend charters but you'll have lots of options.

I would agree....Based on history, Victoria - Sooke is hard to beat for May fishing for Springs in the slot and halibut
Every year is a little different and this year was slow for Springs at that time, but hali was steady in the right area with the right fisherman
Dog fish start to move in in May.
Lots of great guides to choose from.

if you go with ken from rocky point , my place is literally around the corner and i could second boat for your crew.. thanks for the bump ericl

do you want all inclusive? stay at pacific gateway and we can pick you up in the morning.. all fish packing/freezing done there also...

May has been an amazing month in Campbell River over the last few years. We have been catching easy limits of Springs and a decent number of Halibut around as well.
We can hook you up (pun intended)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back