Scotchman attachment

Hey folks.

I do a fair bit of sturgeon fishing. I have a float and an attachment for it (a type of scotchman) but it is awkward to use with my setup.

Any suggestions for a clip or scotchman type attachment that is easy to attach to rope that is under tension (anchor down and boat pulling against it in the current).

Ideal would be a strong clip (so it can't slide off if the ball is be pulled by the current) similar to a down rigger clip or something else easy to attach but my searches of local boating supply stores and internet searches isn't bringing me to Nirvana.

What do you others use?

Thanks.

Leave the scotchman in the boat attached to the end of the rope, only throw it out if your leaving your anchor behind to chase a fish.

Canso:
Yes, that is the idea. The problem is with the type of Scotchman I have…..it is difficult to attach to the rope. Looking for something simpler to attach ball to rope.

I dont river fish but for an anchorage I plan to come back to, I have a short 2foot piece of rope with a Carabiner permanently attached to mine. Then I tie an eye into the rope with a figure eight knot like climbers use, clip in and go.

As was said, keep the Scotchman in the boat, use a carbiner to attach to the rope quickly when required . Just make sure there is something at the end of the rope to stop the biner from slipping off.

yup, beener tied to a loop the ball, figure 8 loop on the rode.

When I sturgeon fish I use the ironwood anchor puller attached to my bouy and then hooked to the rode. Get a fish throw all the rope overboard chase the fish. When it's time to leave throttle forward to pull he anchor up. There is another brand call ez puller or something like that

Last edited:
To try and address the questions above.....

I currently have a product called Orval's EZ pull. It is a rather ingenious system in that you can attach it to your anchor rope (I have both chain and rope and an electric winch) without having to thread the rope through it from the end.....which is what most of the anchor pull systems require. It also will not slip backwards (i.e.: towards the tag end of the rope) when it is attached, so no need for a knot at the end of your rope at risk of losing your entire anchor, chain and rope.

That said, it is hard to attach to my rope when it is under tension. (The rope is being held by the winch (the "gypsy") and with my system you can't put a knot at the end of the rope or you risk it getting stuck in the gypsy when you want to empty the cabinet of rope and follow the fish.) I think the issue may simply be that I am using ⅝" twisted rope when the Orval's system is probably designed for lighter braided rope.

So, that leaves me wanting something to attach the float to a rope under tension that will hold on tightly (not slip backwards up the rope) but be easy to attach to the rope.

I can easily leave the float once attached in the hold of the boat, or just flip it into the water in front of the boat, once attached........the issue is how to attached the float (via a short piece of rope) to the anchor rope easily and securely.

The other "pullers" I have seen slide up the rope as well as down it, or need you to empty your box and find the tag end of the rope in order to attach it......either won't work because it will slide off the rope or is inconvenient to attach in the first place.

I can post a picture of what I have now if that helps but I am looking to replace it with something simpler, so don't think it will advance anything.

Many thanks for the input so far and any further suggestions you may have.

Back