Saltwater Kayak Fishing 2016

There are a few gillnetters in a boat basin on the north side of Garry Point in Steveston. Maybe you could get in there. Westham Island is close too. Google map it.

I haven't fished Sandheads in a Yak but it does sound like a fun idea and Garry Point area would be the launch as Tubber said. I have fished there a fair bit in a boat and towards the end of the summer the fish are quite shallow.
Would definitely want to pick the day as it can get pretty snotty out there.
As for the Bell, it is not really the middle of English bay. It is close to UBC - a mile out or so but fishing can be good from the second mile marker to almost Wreck Beach. When there are fish around of course.

Going to try Muir Creek for the first time this season tomorrow, if anyone is interested in joining me.
T2

Last edited:
No love at Muir for me. Tried anchovy for a few hours , then the flood started to wear out my pedalling legs and pushed me to the east, so I put the rigger away and tried cut plugging --no luck going old school but it was fun to give it an honest try.
T2

No love at Muir for me. Tried anchovy for a few hours , then the flood started to wear out my pedalling legs and pushed me to the east, so I put the rigger away and tried cut plugging --no luck going old school but it was fun to give it an honest try.
T2
Same for me on Thursday morning. Nothing from muir to otter, sunrise to 10:00 am. AND saw almost nothing caught around me save for a relative minnow that looked headed for the dinner plate.

Tried yellow point by ladysmith today. Lots of dog fish ate all my bait.
A few small rock fish and way to small flounder. Good wether and water till around 11 then started to get a little choppy. Will try that spot again soon.

Finally dipped the plastic boat back into the water over the last week. 3 hours at Otter Point last Thurs afternoon without a touch and out for 2 hours from 2-4pm today along Dallas Rd. I've got no idea what I'm doing here in Victoria waters! I thought I'd look for other fishing boats out but didn't see a single one from east of Clover Point to almost Ogden Pt. Lots of speeding whale watching boats with big wakes though!

Only hit of the day was a 4 lb clipped coho, so at least not a skunk on my maiden voyage on the new home turf!

I think it is generally slow, CJ. Were you trolling or jigging or? I'm going to give Otter a shot tomorrow morning, if you want to join me.
T2

Welcome C-J,

I put in the evening shift, paddling the breakwater last night and did see a sporty land a spring in the low teens. I trolled for a bit and mooched for a bit releasing a small halibut and an undersized ling. T2 is correct in that it has been a more challenging year for most.

Cheers,

Fished Otter from 7-11. One bite but nothing to the boat. I did see one nice fish get caught. I tried trolling with strip, anchovy and an AP herring spoon behind a hotspot but no luck. I jigged for a bit to give my geezer legs a rest, then a nice little breeze came up so I hoisted the sail and went back to trolling.
T2

Got a nice sub 10 pound hatch coho at the g-spot Wed morn about 10:00 am. Only fish for 5 hours of paddling, and if you include the whale show day at secretary last week, and another day I got skunked at otter/muir, really one fish for 15 hours of paddling. Not such a hot year. Weather has been great and those sunrises on the water in a yak are pretty good. Its a great life, being on the water, even if the fishing has sucked this year. Saw another yak fisher one of those days at otter.

Paddled Muir Creek to Otter Point yesterday for a 6 hour day. I had one really nice spring to the kayak twice only to lose it just as I lifted it into the boat; I didn't sleep well after losing that fish. It was a nice day on the water regardless. Mid-afternoon, I met a couple (husband and wife) at Gordon's as they were launching their fishing kayaks. They we not on the water for 5 minutes before the wife caught a nice coho too.

Paddled Muir Creek to Otter Point yesterday for a 6 hour day. I had one really nice spring to the kayak twice only to lose it just as I lifted it into the boat; I didn't sleep well after losing that fish. It was a nice day on the water regardless. Mid-afternoon, I met a couple (husband and wife) at Gordon's as they were launching their fishing kayaks. They we not on the water for 5 minutes before the wife caught a nice coho too.
That's tough to lose a fish like that in a slow year like this one. Next time!
T2

I want to take the kayak our for a final fishing session of 2016, wondering if it would be better for me to do the usual G-spot otter muir tide lines for coho/chum or do the secretary isl thing. Fish seem fairly deep from the reports and I don't use a down rigger. Where would you go? Was planning to go sunrise tomorrow before this storm cycle dumps all this water on us, and the fish go upstream. Any swell to contend with? That'll have an impact on my decision too. Also open to company.

I want to take the kayak our for a final fishing session of 2016, wondering if it would be better for me to do the usual G-spot otter muir tide lines for coho/chum or do the secretary isl thing. Fish seem fairly deep from the reports and I don't use a down rigger. Where would you go? Was planning to go sunrise tomorrow before this storm cycle dumps all this water on us, and the fish go upstream. Any swell to contend with? That'll have an impact on my decision too. Also open to company.
I'd try your usual spot, Zfish. Sure wish I could join you but work gets in the way.
T2

any one planning a last kick at the can before we all go into our caves for winter? iv been up in the hills hunting for the last bit, if it was not storming to much out. and im itching to go back on the water.

We're kind of between runs down here on the South Island, at least on the salt. Estuary fishing on the Cowichan might be possible although I know nothing about the regs or put in spots. No need to go into your cave for hibernation though. Usually by December there are some winter springs in spots reachable by yaks down here--off William Head, the mouth of Pedder Bay, Becher Bay--to name a few. Goes without saying that you need to check currents and weather and dress warm!! It gets you off the couch and away from watching the Canucks lose.
T2

Back