OFFICIAL 2016 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ding Ding Ding, FM takes the prize for going four for five! Sandheads, 45 ft, Oki Green Onion, anchovy, and in a green chrome bullet roll. About 1/2 an hour after opening the Hawkins, the last bag is going to be rationed out until the warehouse is rebuilt! Going to have to stop giving the admiral first choice on the gear - her second tyee in as many years locally and I'm yet to get on the scoreboard...

Apologies for the late follow up. Got into another about 30 minutes after the first and had a great battle for at least as long, but lost it when it broke off at the stinger hook. Same set up as previous. Fish was easily in the high 20's (not going to drop the T word in a public forum without confirmation...). Got a great look at it when it jumped a clear 3 - 4 ft out of the water 8 ft from the boat.

Two other strikes that didn't stick.

Pod of orcas rolled through just after 1 pm heading north just before the NW wind picked up.

Few more pics below.

View attachment 29833

View attachment 29831 View attachment 29832

Very nice fish. I was in the Monaro in the background of your first pic putting the binos on your gear!

We were at sandheads from 8am to 3pm. One spring at 10:30 out in 300' and one hatch coho in tight to the can a few hours later. Beauty day on the water.

Must have missed the morning bite yesterday. 1-5 at Sandheads. No bumps. Lots of whales.
Some pretty great fish taken early. Congrats to those getting it done!

Got out from 2 pm to 6:30 pm with my son and his buddy. I knew when the bite would be on, but I couldn't get away as my daughter had a soccer game at 9:30 am so targeted an afternoon foray. Launched at MacDonald Beach and jetted to Sandheads and was treated to a whale show. My son's buddy had never been in a boat on the local salt so he was suitably impressed by the orca show, even though that means no takers when they are around. We tried Sandheads for a few hours anyway until I decided enough was enough and we went back to the north arm. On the way we saw the RCMP cat out there, which I later realised must have been for the royals riding in the hovercraft. Trolled north arm for about an hour and had a real pin popper hit that didn't stick, and that was all for us.

Seen one net at sandheads. About 20 boats. Waiting for that bite....

Started to head south from North Arm at 7 am in rough water and halfway there hit thick fog so turned around and went to Cap. Saw one nice coho taken right in the middle of the pack and that was it. My boat is going up for sale in Feb next year,going to get something more economical that I can use on lakes as well as crabbbing,prawning.

1 undersized, and 10# chum at sandheads 11:30. Green flash and teaser 65'.
Real quiet day. Saw one boat grab 3 or 4 and ours. That was it.
Whales did a drive by. Maybe the fact they didn't come into the grounds says something...?

Can anyone tell me who belongs to that big black Zodiac that was at Cap today ? Is that Harbour Police or RCMP? That thing seriously moves out.

At W.Van this morning.... solo'd this 20# white. On herring stuffed into a green glow anchovy teaser-head, 80' on the rigger. Got another near the marker but didn't stick.

Attachments

• IMG_20160926_121015.jpg
    IMG_20160926_121015.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 105
Spent Saturday and Sunday fishing sandheads. No springs for us missed a bit of a bite early sat andlost a good one at the surface sunday. It hit at 35 feet with a big herring. Did land and release a few big wild coho one was 10 to 12 pounds and one was 15 or 16. Both fish were beauty silvers. Unfortunately one was bleeding on the release. Wish we could just keep any 2 coho. That was it for us though. Not so lucky this weekend. Fished the cap today and no bites. Was around for a few of the biggies caught sunday just didn't get into one my self

Effective immediately until further notice, you may not retain chinook salmon
on the Harrison River in Region 2.

The 2016 forecast estimate of terminal abundance to the Harrison River is
33,000 chinook. This value is well below the escapement goal for this stock
which is a range of 75,100 to 98,500 spawners. Harrison River chinook are one
of the few stocks that have an escapement goal under the Pacific Salmon Treaty.

Variation Order Number: 2016-424

Fisheries & Oceans Operations Center - FN1029
Sent September 23, 2016 at 1042

Should consider yourself a master fishermen if you were able to get ahold of some nice harrison whites this year
lol

I'm done with fishing this year. It just gets worse and worse....I hope we can do what it takes to ensure fish keep coming back in future years...but it sure is hard to be optimistic with the way things are being managed.

With the Harrison stock a few cycles ago we were looking at almost 200,000 springs returning, now with the ramped up chum FN roe fishery this stock is on the verge of collapse. With the constant drift netting at the mouth and now in the mainstem by the mouth of the Chehalis and graveyard area it's really not too hard to figure out why it's gone to ****. Awesome seeing the wasted springs that the FN didn't want on the ground in Kilby and on the reserve

Last edited:
I'm done with fishing this year. It just gets worse and worse....I hope we can do what it takes to ensure fish keep coming back in future years...but it sure is hard to be optimistic with the way things are being managed.

You haven't figured it out yet ! Tru-Dhu doesn't give a **** about the westcoast fishery it just gets in the way of his plan to decimate the ecosystem with oil tankers and pipelines ...... We have to get involved and DEMAND our BC politicians are on our side or send them packing .... sorry for Rant , this has nothing do to with fish reports but maybe we won't need this section if a few years ..... Hope not !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back