NADA Guides Boat Values

Ringo

Crew Member
When researching a used boat's value, to what extend can you rely on the information that comes out of the Nada Guides website and how relevant have you found them to the average boat price in BC? Is there a similar tool that provides a more realistic and reliable data for Canadian boats?

Thanks. When I asked "similar tool" I meant online sources that could be queried for the value of specific vessel types and could produce a price range. of course, friends and neighbors are always there....

Id say the value of boats vary depending on what market your selling in....i find boats on the island are inflated in price..so a website like nada will give you a baseline but unrealistic to what its worth in victoria. Im not aware of any website that would be able to give you a realistic value for a boat in a given area....your best bet is to throw out the details on a forum like this and have guys like me (who spend way to much time online looking for there next boat) give you an honest opinion of value based on the geographical location.

Why is it that boats seam to be valued so highly on the south island? I really don't get it.....

Nah, it's the ferry. Everything costs more because of the ferry. Damn ferry.

But there's no fkn way we want a bridge, that would ruin our island way of life.

Damn ferry.

NADA is what banks use but it isn't anywhere close to the market value. The values are for a base model and the "adds" listed are very generic and are used for everything from 12' Lund to large offshore boats. And then of course each area can vary based on popularity. Like a Grady Marlin is worth much more on the west coast then in Ontario. If you have been shopping you should have an idea of the value. If you're looking loan value I'd suggest asking for a couple of boat dealers to give you a retail value in writing and give those to your bank.

NADA is what banks use but it isn't anywhere close to the market value. The values are for a base model and the "adds" listed are very generic and are used for everything from 12' Lund to large offshore boats. And then of course each area can vary based on popularity. Like a Grady Marlin is worth much more on the west coast then in Ontario. If you have been shopping you should have an idea of the value. If you're looking loan value I'd suggest asking for a couple of boat dealers to give you a retail value in writing and give those to your bank.
Thank you for the info. I'm more curious to see if there's a demand for a Canadian-based online tool that could provide such info PLUS more detailed analysis and value breakdown by region. I'm not really asking about the accuracy of NADA's data but rather trying to see if there's a demand for such tool in our domestic market. Thanks again.

Back